summer between college and law school Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jawsome

New

Re: summer between college and law school

Post by jawsome » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:09 am

sleeping as much as possible and eating as much of my parents' food as i can. maybe working. maybe.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:02 am

Son of Cicero wrote:The traditional advice is to spend the entire time drinking and sleeping. I was slightly less productive than even that, but I was told it wouldn't matter. A couple of months ago at an interview, an 82-year-old judge who looked like he crawled out of his grave for the sole purpose of humbling me mentioned a gap he noticed on my resume. He was referring to the 2.5-month period between when I graduated college/moved home and when I relocated across the country for law school...

My experience may have been atypical, though; it was definitely surreal. Creepy statuettes were strewn across the floor of his huge wooden office, and everything was covered in a dusty film that probably consisted of flakes of dead skin. Former externs told me that the judge had eased up in his old age and would usually just tell humorous stories during interviews and not bother asking any real questions, but I guess he is on new meds that bring out his old workaholic side, even if he hides it by creating the impression that he is always about to nod off. Do not underestimate the extremely elderly, especially Palpatine-lookalike jurists who are still allowed to wield a lot of power. Also, change out of your wife beater and pajama pants and do something productive so you can avoid my fate. *rattles chains, a la Jacob Marley*
i guess, but i bet it's more likely that someone doesn't get hired bc the interviewer just didn't like your tie. or had PMS that day. or a bad lunch. etc.
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:10 am

jawsome wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:Do any/everything you want to do, because came Fall, you won't be able to anymore.

P.S. This is my plan.
Mine too. Life is going nowhere but downhill come fall (especially for the next 3-5 years). I'm planning on being completely gluttonous/a waste of life until August whenever possible. By this I mean drinking heavily and performing my job at a bare minimum.

I envy your courage.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:34 am

underdawg wrote:i guess, but i bet it's more likely that someone doesn't get hired bc the interviewer just didn't like your tie. or had PMS that day. or a bad lunch. etc.
I doubt the question has much filtering potential in itself, but it can take you off balance and make you flustered, which is deadly. Or, if you're 22 and interviewing immediately after a much more mature classmate who just ended a long stint in the navy and who has a master's degree in a hard science, it can contribute to the overall impression that you are a lazy, immature schmuck. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”