Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
noquieromas

New

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by noquieromas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:51 pm

What's wrong with receiving the list in digest form?

Yointer

New

Post by Yointer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:01 am

noquieromas wrote:What's wrong with receiving the list in digest form?
The only downside I can think of is that you might miss out on an item offered for sale to the first bidder. I've been receiving my list in digest form for a long time and I highly recommend you do the same, unless you're still in the market for text books or something. Getting a dozen or more emails a day advertising books I already owned got annoying really fast.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:12 am

-
Last edited by Mr. T6 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:45 pm

I know the 1Ls just started last week but does anyone care to start a "Chicago 1/2/3L taking questions" thread? I, along with others I'm sure, would be eternally grateful :D

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:I know the 1Ls just started last week but does anyone care to start a "Chicago 1/2/3L taking questions" thread? I, along with others I'm sure, would be eternally grateful :D
What's your question(s)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:59 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:I know the 1Ls just started last week but does anyone care to start a "Chicago 1/2/3L taking questions" thread? I, along with others I'm sure, would be eternally grateful :D
What's your question(s)?
I've heard stories about the Career Services office at Chicago to be rather unhelpful and unapproachable. Are these rumors true? I seem to remember you saying that you're at median and don't have any offers via OCI. How are they helping you and your peers weather this storm? Tangentially, how high

Is Chicago worth sticker, ITE? I'm 99% set on applying ED and I'm sure to get no merit aid. Obviously, it's Chicago, a phenomenal place to get a legal education. But should I be a little more debt averse? For full disclosure, I'm a UG who will be graduating w/ only $7k in debt.

I'm not sure if you can speak to this, but how do the URMs (particularly AAs) feel about the lack of diversity of Chicago? The dearth of AAs in particular, but URMS in general is a little disconcerting.

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:02 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=16636

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:13 am

This is completely non-academic, but what is with the spiders at Regents I keep hearing about? Are they outside the windows of every apartment? Do they ever get inside the apartments?

I'm being absolutely serious, by the way; it's one of those silly childhood fears which I never got over, I guess...

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:59 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:
What's your question(s)?
I've heard stories about the Career Services office at Chicago to be rather unhelpful and unapproachable. Are these rumors true? I seem to remember you saying that you're at median and don't have any offers via OCI. How are they helping you and your peers weather this storm? Tangentially, how high

Is Chicago worth sticker, ITE? I'm 99% set on applying ED and I'm sure to get no merit aid. Obviously, it's Chicago, a phenomenal place to get a legal education. But should I be a little more debt averse? For full disclosure, I'm a UG who will be graduating w/ only $7k in debt.

I'm not sure if you can speak to this, but how do the URMs (particularly AAs) feel about the lack of diversity of Chicago? The dearth of AAs in particular, but URMS in general is a little disconcerting.
1. I'm not at the median and I have an offer from an excellent secondary market firm. I don't know about my peers because I neither ask nor do they tell. You'll have to ask someone else. Frankly, I think there's little any OCS (even Yale's) can do for you. This is your future, and your job search. They can't contact firms, government employers, or public interest agencies for you.

2. I would not go to any law school at the sticker price. This notion has nothing to do with the quality of legal education and everything to do with uncertainty. You don't know your future class rank; you don't know whether the legal market will recover; and, most importantly IMO, you don't know whether you'll like the law and/or legal work. If you strike out on any count, oh *@##.

3. No comment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:13 am

eskimo wrote:This is completely non-academic, but what is with the spiders at Regents I keep hearing about? Are they outside the windows of every apartment? Do they ever get inside the apartments?

I'm being absolutely serious, by the way; it's one of those silly childhood fears which I never got over, I guess...
They are outside the windows, I have at least 3. I was planning to name them and am taking suggestions. I have yet to see a bug in my apartment. Considering you have to be a WWE champion to get the windows open in the first place, no, they don't get in.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:17 am

eskimo wrote:This is completely non-academic, but what is with the spiders at Regents I keep hearing about? Are they outside the windows of every apartment? Do they ever get inside the apartments?

Pretty common on most mid to high-rises in the city from the months of April-late September / early October. If you have screens on your windows, they'll just be decoration...

It's actually kinda fun to watch them make webs and stuff when they don't know you're there...

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 am

pehaigllleises wrote:

They are outside the windows, I have at least 3. I was planning to name them and am taking suggestions. I have yet to see a bug in my apartment. Considering you have to be a WWE champion to get the windows open in the first place, no, they don't get in.
I named the ones outside of my apartment "tiny 1, tiny 2, etc..." They were kind of large.

scat_cat

New

Post by scat_cat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:51 am

hopefulundergrad wrote: I've heard stories about the Career Services office at Chicago to be rather unhelpful and unapproachable. Are these rumors true? I seem to remember you saying that you're at median and don't have any offers via OCI. How are they helping you and your peers weather this storm?

The Career Services people have been very approachable; helpful is another matter. They didn't seem to predict how difficult this year's OCI would be, but I'm not sure anyone else did either.

Try not to pay sticker. Don't apply ED if that means you get no merit aid. Apply to peer schools that are likely to give you merit aid and then try to leverage. Especially if you're AA and have competitive numbers--I'd say try to milk UVa for money and then show your award to Chicago.

Why not email BLSA members and ask how they feel about diversity at Chicago? http://blsa.uchicago.edu/officers.html.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:59 pm

scat_cat wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote: I've heard stories about the Career Services office at Chicago to be rather unhelpful and unapproachable. Are these rumors true? I seem to remember you saying that you're at median and don't have any offers via OCI. How are they helping you and your peers weather this storm?

The Career Services people have been very approachable; helpful is another matter. They didn't seem to predict how difficult this year's OCI would be, but I'm not sure anyone else did either.

Try not to pay sticker. Don't apply ED if that means you get no merit aid. Apply to peer schools that are likely to give you merit aid and then try to leverage. Especially if you're AA and have competitive numbers--I'd say try to milk UVa for money and then show your award to Chicago.

Why not email BLSA members and ask how they feel about diversity at Chicago? http://blsa.uchicago.edu/officers.html.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely emailed some BLSA members.

I'm a splitter. While I think I could possibly get into UVA RD, Chicago RD is a different story. I have a 168 under my belt and just retook and my LSAT will likely be above 75%, but GPA is below 25%. :oops: Would you not apply ED even if you weren't likely to get in w/o that boost?

SR1313

New

Post by SR1313 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 pm

We have a gunner, and he makes me furious :evil: Trying to remember that I'm here to learn, not worry about what others are doing.

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:41 pm

SR1313 wrote:We have a gunner, and he makes me furious :evil: Trying to remember that I'm here to learn, not worry about what others are doing.
lol and +1

on the bright side, thank God it's only one... can you imagine a *gasp* gunner competition?
*knocks on wood*

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:46 pm

SR1313 wrote:We have a gunner, and he makes me furious :evil: Trying to remember that I'm here to learn, not worry about what others are doing.
How can you be a gunner in your second week, lol? Virtually everyone in the 1L class still has no idea what they're doing. Wheels don't really churn, imo, until after first quarter finals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:49 pm

Ha ha, I think I know who you guys are talking about. Was this in Crim today? The guy in front of me was mocking him (with some inappropriate self stimulating hand gestures...). I just used the time to space out a little. A much needed break as it appears I am already catching a cold.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:29 pm

Haha I made the less obscene gesture of simulating a gun fight with my hands. It was really only the interrupting of the teacher that made it so painful to watch.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:17 am

How's 1L going, party people?

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Sections A, F, and... have 830 class on fridays springs quarter, while the other 3 sections don't have class till 2:45??? I'm PISSED

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:44 pm

I love how Regents advertises its 24 hour gym, but the weight room is locked off after 10:00.

deadbeat

New

Post by deadbeat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:15 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I love how Regents advertises its 24 hour gym, but the weight room is locked off after 10:00.
Hit the buzzer to the left of the door to the weight room. Concierge desk will buzz you in.

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:28 am

Happy Thanksgiving, classmates!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Just in case you all haven't noticed, winter book list = up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”