Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
xynder

New

Chicago Class of 2012

Post by xynder » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:26 pm

Not a lot of us, eh? Ah well, the few, the proud...

Objection

Silver

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Objection » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Just received my materials today. Not a bad package they put together.

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Count me in too. I'm heading there this Friday for the Feature Friday event. Anyone else going?

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 pm

What's with all the UChicago hate on TLS (just saying, not trying to restart that thread)! I'm not Class of 2012, but searching Chicago on the forums only finds me unflattering comments. Can anyone point me toward the waiting room?

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:29 pm

two things:

1) hyde park is not greenwich village or palo alto or anything like that (personally i think location is overdone at this stage of the game - you're trying to set yourself up for a career, not live it up like a 19 year old away from home for the first time)
2) the student body is reputed to be more "competitive," and more "nerdy" than other student bodies (i can't comment on this one, since i don't know from experience; my personal intuition, though, is that you're bound to find a mix of types of people at all schools; chicago's being smaller, and a certain amount of self-selection, probably means some tendencies are more exaggerated than in other places)

given the exit options coming out of chicago, neither of the two factors above seem to me like they should be determinative when making a decision

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:33 pm

TrojanBadger wrote:What's with all the UChicago hate on TLS (just saying, not trying to restart that thread)! I'm not Class of 2012, but searching Chicago on the forums only finds me unflattering comments. Can anyone point me toward the waiting room?
People put down the things they can't have in order to protect their self esteem. Simple human nature.

RobbyCano

New

Post by RobbyCano » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:58 am

doyleoil wrote:two things:

1) hyde park is not greenwich village or palo alto or anything like that (personally i think location is overdone at this stage of the game - you're trying to set yourself up for a career, not live it up like a 19 year old away from home for the first time)
2) the student body is reputed to be more "competitive," and more "nerdy" than other student bodies (i can't comment on this one, since i don't know from experience; my personal intuition, though, is that you're bound to find a mix of types of people at all schools; chicago's being smaller, and a certain amount of self-selection, probably means some tendencies are more exaggerated than in other places)

given the exit options coming out of chicago, neither of the two factors above seem to me like they should be determinative when making a decision
I visited Chicago. I can say that the neighborhood issue is overrated even independent of the fact that "neighborhood" shouldn't generally be determinative. I can also say that the school itself, especially the recently redone library, is beautiful. I don't buy the student body argument.

I should add the U of C faculty is now and has historically been absolutely jaw dropping.

I wasn't getting into HYS, and I liked NU even more than UChicago so I applied ED there, but Boalt, Chicago and Northwestern ended up being far and away my favorites. I have nothing but good things to say about all three.

I can't imagine that the people saying nasty things about U Chicago are people who got in or know anything concrete about the place.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:39 am

Losing epstein and sunstein doesn't dim the faculty edge for you at all? Those were two huge stars now gone. Is Epstein still going to teach a semester or is he fully at NYU?

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:52 am

yeah i suppose it's a hit, but the more i think about it, the less it bothers me, considering faculty seem to be hopping around left and right lately - should stanford students be bothered by the loss of lessig? are harvard people freaking out because sunstein and kagan are headed out? i suppose it'd be nice if chicago had another sunstein who everyone's heard of...then again, they're still hanging on to nussbaum...and doesn't posner still pop in from time to time?...and a lot of the people teaching 1L classes seem to be people who other people in the know are aware of

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LGK

New

Post by LGK » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:53 am

jaen78 wrote:Count me in too. I'm heading there this Friday for the Feature Friday event. Anyone else going?

I'm going.

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm contemplating going to the Chicago ASW in April. Does anyone know if it matters which of Chicago's airports I fly into? Would I be able to use public transportation to go back and forth or would I need a cab? Thanks!

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:16 pm

Yes, Sun and Ep have moved but Chicago is really good, it seems, at picking out young talent who do eventually move on. That said, I think there will be a few big name faculty there who you you haven't heard of yet.

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:17 pm

marburger06 wrote:I'm contemplating going to the Chicago ASW in April. Does anyone know if it matters which of Chicago's airports I fly into? Would I be able to use public transportation to go back and forth or would I need a cab? Thanks!
It doesn't matter which airport - they're right next to each other - ridiculous, yes. For what it's worth, Midway will give you fewer headaches.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

red_sox

New

Post by red_sox » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Last edited by red_sox on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

69sofine

Bronze

Post by 69sofine » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Anecdotal, but I have a friend at U of C who really wishes she didn't go there. It doesn't strike me as an overly collegial environment.

sarcasmpolice

New

Post by sarcasmpolice » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:26 pm

69sofine wrote:Anecdotal, but I have a friend at U of C who really wishes she didn't go there. It doesn't strike me as an overly collegial environment.
Were you admitted to Chicago? If not, GTFO. Thx.

Cramble

New

Post by Cramble » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:39 pm

I applied early decision to Chicago only to face rejection. Given that we are all planning on attending law school, going to a place where "Fun goes to die," shouldn't really deter one from going to one of the best universities in the nation. Especially with the national clout the school carries. Say it with me now: Set. For. Life.

Eh well, I would have loved to have been accepted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LGK

New

Post by LGK » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:28 pm

sarcasmpolice wrote:
69sofine wrote:Anecdotal, but I have a friend at U of C who really wishes she didn't go there. It doesn't strike me as an overly collegial environment.
Is this just trying to prove his point? No need to be mean. Some people think current students' opinions are relevant. The students we'll talk to at FF or ASW may be more likely to self-select for being more positive than average on their experiences at U Chi.

69sofine

Bronze

Post by 69sofine » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:36 pm

sarcasmpolice wrote:
I was speaking to the point brought up earlier in the tread about the perceived TLS hate for U of C. I fail to see how my admission to the school has any bearing on that.

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:56 pm

LGK wrote:
jaen78 wrote:Count me in too. I'm heading there this Friday for the Feature Friday event. Anyone else going?

I'm going.
See you there! I'll be the one looking around wide-eyed like a tourist, still shocked I managed to get in. :wink:

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:44 pm

69sofine wrote:
sarcasmpolice wrote:
I was speaking to the point brought up earlier in the tread about the perceived TLS hate for U of C. I fail to see how my admission to the school has any bearing on that.
I think since this thread is supposed to be for admitted students (although I am an interloper in search of another thread, if anyone still has its URL...). Also, it may go to credibility on these internets*. It's easy to make things up on the internet--I hear you have a major donkey oral sex fixation, btw--but it's easier to believe them if you may be speaking with a future classmate.

*Ted Stevens, if you were planning on using that for a retort of some sort.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sarcasmpolice

New

Post by sarcasmpolice » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:38 pm

69sofine wrote:
sarcasmpolice wrote:
You came to this thread to smear shit on the walls of a school you'll never attend. I don't like poo. Was I just uncollegial?

Gargon

New

Post by Gargon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:52 am

For the people going to Featured Friday on the 16th, have you heard anything back from admissions after registering? I registered over the weekend and haven't gotten a confirmation or anything along those lines yet. Just wanted to know if they send them out.

LGK

New

Post by LGK » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:47 am

Gargon wrote:For the people going to Featured Friday on the 16th, have you heard anything back from admissions after registering? I registered over the weekend and haven't gotten a confirmation or anything along those lines yet. Just wanted to know if they send them out.
I registered a week ago and got an email four or five days later to confirm.

69sofine

Bronze

Post by 69sofine » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:05 am

sarcasmpolice wrote:You came to this thread to smear shit on the walls of a school you'll never attend. I don't like poo. Was I just uncollegial?
I guess I should have used the reply function for my original post. I was replying to a statement made earlier in the thread. Wasn't trying to smear shit on your school, but you should chill the fuck out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”