Penn Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thistimereborn

New

Re: Penn Class of 2012

Post by thistimereborn » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:18 pm

blueox wrote:
riccardo426 wrote:
cambodge wrote:is anyone else having trouble getting their forwarded email? i set up an alias and everything, but so far, the test messages i've sent haven't reached me... it's not in my spam folder either.. ideas ? thanks :)
I'm having the same problem, actually.

Also, I should introduce this now. I've talked with a few other Penn 2012 TLSers about having a meetup at Center City Sips. It's every Wednesday from 5 to 7 at a lot of the top bars/restaurants around the city. 2 dollar beers, 3 dollar wines, 4 dollar cocktails, half-off appetizers = best deal around. But when do you think is the best time?

I am already in Philly and could do a meetup anytime, but considering that more people will probably arrive August 1st, should something like this be held off until early August (the 5th or 12th)? Though, that could run the risk of being too many people, leaving one dazed without remembering anyone's name.

Silent Penn 2012's, return and weigh in!

I had the same problem. This is what ITS said:

Please try sending to your law email from an address other than your forwarding
(gmail) address. There is a known bug in gmail that prevents email delivery to
the same email address once it has been forwarded.
Does anyone know how we can access the actual @law.upenn.edu e-mail account, so that we can send e-mails from it?

CCA

New

Post by CCA » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:23 pm

thistimereborn wrote:
blueox wrote:
riccardo426 wrote:
cambodge wrote:is anyone else having trouble getting their forwarded email? i set up an alias and everything, but so far, the test messages i've sent haven't reached me... it's not in my spam folder either.. ideas ? thanks :)
I'm having the same problem, actually.

Also, I should introduce this now. I've talked with a few other Penn 2012 TLSers about having a meetup at Center City Sips. It's every Wednesday from 5 to 7 at a lot of the top bars/restaurants around the city. 2 dollar beers, 3 dollar wines, 4 dollar cocktails, half-off appetizers = best deal around. But when do you think is the best time?

I am already in Philly and could do a meetup anytime, but considering that more people will probably arrive August 1st, should something like this be held off until early August (the 5th or 12th)? Though, that could run the risk of being too many people, leaving one dazed without remembering anyone's name.

Silent Penn 2012's, return and weigh in!

I had the same problem. This is what ITS said:

Please try sending to your law email from an address other than your forwarding
(gmail) address. There is a known bug in gmail that prevents email delivery to
the same email address once it has been forwarded.
Does anyone know how we can access the actual @law.upenn.edu e-mail account, so that we can send e-mails from it?
I read that you can go to mail.law.upenn.edu then login, but that requires a Microsoft Exchange account. I don't know how to do that or if they give it to us.

markymark

Bronze

Post by markymark » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:46 pm

So I got the email regarding the penncard photo and was all set on just submitting a generic picture of myself when I read that employers ::might:: view the directory. Does that mean I have to get a photo where I'm dressed in business attire? I really don't want to do that and end up looking like an overdressed tool.

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:58 pm

markymark wrote:So I got the email regarding the penncard photo and was all set on just submitting a generic picture of myself when I read that employers ::might:: view the directory. Does that mean I have to get a photo where I'm dressed in business attire? I really don't want to do that and end up looking like an overdressed tool.
I heard that you should just pick a photo that you'd be comfortable with employers seeing. So I don't think "interview attire" is necessary in the pic.

That said, you probably don't want a shot glass in your hand in the pic haha or to be wearing a playboy bunny tshirt. Then again, that could win you points.

P.S. Isn't the penn card pretty hideous? They need someone to redesign it and give it more sex appeal.

turtle22

New

Post by turtle22 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:09 pm

markymark wrote:So I got the email regarding the penncard photo and was all set on just submitting a generic picture of myself when I read that employers ::might:: view the directory. Does that mean I have to get a photo where I'm dressed in business attire? I really don't want to do that and end up looking like an overdressed tool.
I am SO unphotogenic and was really horrified by this email. But it does say "Employers who participate in our on-campus interview program may also be given a printed version of this directory which may include, with your permission, your photograph from the PennCard upload.

I did some sleuthing (aka stalking) and looked through the current student directory. The vast majority of students did not have their picture loaded, so I guess we have a choice. Of those that did, most were just normal face shots. I only saw one suit.

So unless you are so good looking that your dreamy eyes would lure employers into job giving trance, maybe just opt to not load the pic. And if you are that good looking, maybe you should send me your pic and phone number, just so I can, you know, provide a second opinion ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:35 pm

turtle22 wrote: I did some sleuthing (aka stalking) and looked through the current student directory. The vast majority of students did not have their picture loaded, so I guess we have a choice. Of those that did, most were just normal face shots. I only saw one suit.
Can you limit who can see your photo? I thought the email said the pictures were private.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Has anyone found any good karaoke bars near the school? I like to get drunk and since Bonnie Tyler songs.

turtle22

New

Post by turtle22 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
turtle22 wrote: I did some sleuthing (aka stalking) and looked through the current student directory. The vast majority of students did not have their picture loaded, so I guess we have a choice. Of those that did, most were just normal face shots. I only saw one suit.
Can you limit who can see your photo? I thought the email said the pictures were private.
Based only on my stalking, I would guess that it is all or nothing - the pic is visible or not. Or perhaps you can choose if other students can see it, and separately if employers can see it. I had to log on to the goat site, so it isn't truly public regardless. I'm seeing my 2L friend this weekend, so I will ask him what the deal is.

turtle22

New

Post by turtle22 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:23 pm

Action Jackson wrote:Has anyone found any good karaoke bars near the school? I like to get drunk and since Bonnie Tyler songs.
My 3 main life rules are
1. No Karaoke
2. No Shots
3. No Flash Photography

All three of these are for the benefit of EVERYONE. That being said, I have been to one bar w/karaoke in Philly - McGillin's Irish Pub. It's about a mile and a half from Penn, a little past city hall. They have karaoke a few night's a week. It's a real shit show.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 pm

turtle22 wrote: My 3 main life rules are
1. No Karaoke
2. No Shots
3. No Flash Photography
You and I aren't going to be friends.

turtle22

New

Post by turtle22 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
1. No Karaoke
2. No Shots
3. No Flash Photography
1. Have a HORRIBLE voice
2. Am unbelievably bitchy if black out drunk (which shots -->), including arbitrary slapping
3. So, so unphotogenic

But in a normal speaking voice, after 4 glasses of red wine, not being filmed, I promise I'm not as lame as I made myself sound.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:13 pm

turtle22 wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
1. No Karaoke
2. No Shots
3. No Flash Photography
1. Have a HORRIBLE voice
2. Am unbelievably bitchy if black out drunk (which shots -->), including arbitrary slapping
3. So, so unphotogenic

But in a normal speaking voice, after 4 glasses of red wine, not being filmed, I promise I'm not as lame as I made myself sound.
You realize you've just committed yourself to 4 glass of red wine karaoke bender, right? ;)

turtle22

New

Post by turtle22 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:37 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
turtle22 wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
1. No Karaoke
2. No Shots
3. No Flash Photography
1. Have a HORRIBLE voice
3. So, so unphotogenic

You realize you've just committed yourself to 4 glass of red wine karaoke bender, right? ;)
I guess I will have to make an exception :)

But for serious, let's get out act together. Anyone up for a Center City Sips (see Riccardo's post for description) on 7/22, perhaps? Or non-CCS some other night in the next few weeks?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

riccardo426

New

Post by riccardo426 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:29 am

Actually, maybe we might not want to do CC sips for an introductory event. I was at Chifa, the new restaurant that's getting a lot of press, today, and one couldn't hear anything. Way too many people. I have had a similar experience at every CC sips this summer.

I don't think it would be an atmosphere conducive toward introductions as well as sharing our LSAT scores and our 0L reading lists (HUGE jk there). I think it may be better to pick a Thursday happy hour at a nice bar in Center City (better there than University City, you will have plenty of opportunities to get to know those bars during the year). How about 7/23?

Riccardo's bar suggestions, considering classiness and space availability:

Triumph (I think this spot in Old City would be best. Good food and they brew their own beer, yay)

Irish Pub (big yuppie bar that was featured in Rocky 6 with a good house lager)

Time (if we feel like spending all of our loan money in one night)

Dock Street (a great yuppie pizza place and brewery on the frontier at 50th street)

turtle22

New

Post by turtle22 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:54 am

7/23 works for me! I vote Triumph.

Any other takers?

lostmyname

New

Post by lostmyname » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:52 am

CCA wrote:
thistimereborn wrote:Does anyone know how we can access the actual @law.upenn.edu e-mail account, so that we can send e-mails from it?
I read that you can go to mail.law.upenn.edu then login, but that requires a Microsoft Exchange account. I don't know how to do that or if they give it to us.
Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but you can also set up gmail to send emails from that account. Just change your account settings.

absworkoutplan

New

Post by absworkoutplan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Hey guys, I just had a quick question. It might be stupid, but i'm starting to get worried.

I haven't really gotten notification on what I need to submit to Penn as far as forms go (other than immunization history, fees, and insurance verification). Are there things that I should know that i'm overlooking at this time? I just graduated, so do I need to send in some sort of complete transcript? Anything else?

I feel kind of paranoid, but the school hasn't sent much in the way of clear, substantial requirements before enrollment. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CCA

New

Post by CCA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:35 pm

lostmyname wrote:
CCA wrote:
thistimereborn wrote:Does anyone know how we can access the actual @law.upenn.edu e-mail account, so that we can send e-mails from it?
Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but you can also set up gmail to send emails from that account. Just change your account settings.
That worked for me - thanks.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:09 pm

absworkoutplan wrote:Hey guys, I just had a quick question. It might be stupid, but i'm starting to get worried.

I haven't really gotten notification on what I need to submit to Penn as far as forms go (other than immunization history, fees, and insurance verification). Are there things that I should know that i'm overlooking at this time? I just graduated, so do I need to send in some sort of complete transcript? Anything else?

I feel kind of paranoid, but the school hasn't sent much in the way of clear, substantial requirements before enrollment. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Have your official transcript sent to the law school.

And there was a Dean Cert. too, wasn't there? I thought I did one of those.

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
absworkoutplan wrote:Hey guys, I just had a quick question. It might be stupid, but i'm starting to get worried.

This is a joke, right? I haven't heard about any of this.

CCA

New

Post by CCA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:45 pm

thistimereborn wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

There was a dean's cert. on the admitted students website. I gave it to the dean, but I'm not sure if they are requring it. I think they always need a final transcript to verify that you graduated, but I sent mine to LSAC for other waitlists anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:47 pm

CCA wrote:
thistimereborn wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:

There was a dean's cert. on the admitted students website. I gave it to the dean, but I'm not sure if they are requring it. I think they always need a final transcript to verify that you graduated, but I sent mine to LSAC for other waitlists anyway.
Yeah, the Dean's cert is under Forms in the menu on the left. Official transcript is standard for grad schools, too.

EDIT: I just talked to someone that emailed them for confirmation about the transcript a while back and they gave him the info on sending it in, so yeah, you should get on that.

anthonyc7599

New

Post by anthonyc7599 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:50 am

turtle22 wrote:7/23 works for me! I vote Triumph.

Any other takers?
If you want to stay in Center City there are a couple of other good spots that I would recommend.

1. Alpha (5-7pm) 7 days a week happy hour. $3 apps and $5 80's based mixed drinks(can't explain it you just have to see them). Very good.
2. Rum Bar. Great mojitos, not so good food.
3. Good Dog Cafe. Great food and drinks. Small, might be hard to get a table.
4. I second Time on expense but it is good and El Vez is right down the road with great Margaritas but not so good if you are on a budget.
5. Futher down is my favorite place, Race Street Cafe 2nd and Race. Great wings and good beers and wine.
6. If wine is your thing, Vintage is right next to El Vez. Not good for a budget.

I would love to meet up anytime after the 1st of Aug. Just keep posting till we get an agreement.

riccardo426

New

Post by riccardo426 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:03 pm

anthonyc7599 wrote:
turtle22 wrote:7/23 works for me! I vote Triumph.

Any other takers?
If you want to stay in Center City there are a couple of other good spots that I would recommend.

1. Alpha (5-7pm) 7 days a week happy hour. $3 apps and $5 80's based mixed drinks(can't explain it you just have to see them). Very good.
2. Rum Bar. Great mojitos, not so good food.
3. Good Dog Cafe. Great food and drinks. Small, might be hard to get a table.
4. I second Time on expense but it is good and El Vez is right down the road with great Margaritas but not so good if you are on a budget.
5. Futher down is my favorite place, Race Street Cafe 2nd and Race. Great wings and good beers and wine.
6. If wine is your thing, Vintage is right next to El Vez. Not good for a budget.

I would love to meet up anytime after the 1st of Aug. Just keep posting till we get an agreement.

Thanks for the great input, anthony. I would rule out Rum Bar and Good Dog because of issues of space. Fitting 6+ at either location would be tough. I've never been to Race Street Cage or Alpha, but maybe we could do those come early August when you're around.

Supposing that we would have a first meetup on the 23rd, how many people would we be expecting? So far it seems that it would be three (myself, Turtle, and I'm sure my roommate would want to come). Any lurkers want to add themselves in?

blueox

New

Post by blueox » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:20 pm

There's a thread on the Penn Law 2012 facebook group about a happy hour in NY this Thursday, July 16, in case anyone is interested. Place TBD so if anyone has suggestions, chime in now.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=3 ... topic=9812

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”