Two classes out of every five... Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
BananaHammock

New

Two classes out of every five...

Post by BananaHammock » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:22 am

Is that the rule then?

enygma

Bronze

Re: Two classes out of every five...

Post by enygma » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:53 pm

i have no idea what you're talking about.

casper00

New

Post by casper00 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:38 pm

is that a quote from One L? (speak in class 2/5)

BananaHammock

New

Post by BananaHammock » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:49 am

casper00 wrote:is that a quote from One L? (speak in class 2/5)
TITCR

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:55 am

how about speak in class whenever you actually have something worthwhile to say or when you want clarification on a topic. wouldn't that be a better rule?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:25 am

Genki wrote:how about speak in class whenever you actually have something worthwhile to say or when you want clarification on a topic. wouldn't that be a better rule?
+1

casper00

New

Post by casper00 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:12 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Genki wrote:how about speak in class whenever you actually have something worthwhile to say or when you want clarification on a topic. wouldn't that be a better rule?
+1
Not if you read the book. The rationale goes that with the Socratic method if you speak 2/5 classes then you're less likely to be called upon blindly when you don't know the answer. Just reading the f*ing book, its good.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:17 pm

casper00 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
+1
Not if you read the book. The rationale goes that with the Socratic method if you speak 2/5 classes then you're less likely to be called upon blindly when you don't know the answer. Just reading the f*ing book, its good.
Yeah, the book is pretty good. People say that it "scares" them but it didn't really scare me away. Neither did "Paper Chase" for that matter... Did anyone else watch that?

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:53 pm

iagolives wrote:
casper00 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
+1
Yeah, the book is pretty good. People say that it "scares" them but it didn't really scare me away. Neither did "Paper Chase" for that matter... Did anyone else watch that?
Yeah, saw it a while back. Pretty good movie and the professor's daughter was pretty smokin. I'm with you though, neither One L nor Paper Chase scared me about law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:06 pm

casper00 wrote:Not if you read the book. The rationale goes that with the Socratic method if you speak 2/5 classes then you're less likely to be called upon blindly when you don't know the answer. Just reading the f*ing book, its good.
Who cares about not knowing the answer? And if you do care, the best way to avoid being called on blindly when you don't know the answer is to read for class and know the answer.
Eh, I could do without people speaking when they think they have something worthwhile to say. IMO, a law student in class is not usually the best judge of when he/she is saying something worthwhile. As for clarifying a topic or issue, +1.

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:15 pm

Depends on the prof. I had one who only called on those who volunteered. Others used some sort of system; you knew what particular day you'd be on call or, more commonly, a certain section of the class was on call on a certain day of the week or for a certain period of time. Most profs made it a point to call on each student at least once, even if you had volunteered. And others didn't cold-call at all.

I only had a handful of professors that adhered to the completely random Socratic method.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:49 pm

[quote="Genki"Yeah, the book is pretty good. People say that it "scares" them but it didn't really scare me away. Neither did "Paper Chase" for that matter... Did anyone else watch that?[/quote]

Actually made me want to go to Law School more

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”