Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Capercaillie

New

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by Capercaillie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:23 pm

littleboyblue wrote:
Capercaillie wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:does anyone know which lot is closest to the law school - or where most law students park? i checked it out on yale's website and it looked like the graduate parking lot - howe street garage - was not a stop on the yale shuttle so i was a little confused. thanks.

thanks but i don't think students can get a permit for that lot.
Closest to law school = 51, though I believe law students may only use Howe and Pierson-Sage. In this case, Howe is the closest garage to the Law school available to law students.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:24 pm

By the by, do we have access to 'The Wall' yet? (I believe that's what YLS's student message board is called, yes...?)

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:09 pm

I just received my travel subsidy reimbursement in the mail today. Hooray!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:43 pm

The fact that the HLS folks just got their section assignments has me thinking: do we not hear anything about all that stuff until orientation? What about book lists and such?

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:53 am

franfair wrote:
heyguys wrote:The fact that the HLS folks just got their section assignments has me thinking: do we not hear anything about all that stuff until orientation? What about book lists and such?
I know! I wish we had a little info, so we could start buying books, etc. I am always horribly impatient about these things.
Haha, the "we don't have first semester" grades relaxed environment begins before 1L even starts, enforcing type-B summer-before behavior. ;)

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:44 am

zabagabe wrote:
franfair wrote:
heyguys wrote:The fact that the HLS folks just got their section assignments has me thinking: do we not hear anything about all that stuff until orientation? What about book lists and such?
I know! I wish we had a little info, so we could start buying books, etc. I am always horribly impatient about these things.
Haha, the "we don't have first semester" grades relaxed environment begins before 1L even starts, enforcing type-B summer-before behavior. ;)
haha ... I guess this is reason we don't need grades.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:00 am

iagolives wrote:
bgc wrote:In iago's defense (which isn't really needed--I don't think anyone is accusing him of elitism), I think he's probably the least pompous poster on TLS. There's obviously a good deal of overlap between the applicant pools of the two schools (e.g., The Yale Waiting Room), so students at the two schools tend to be familiar with each other already.
Ha, thanks bgc. I wasn't going to respond because I always feel badly crashing y'all's thread, but it really had nothing to do with the "I only associate with HLS/YLS people." It was more that there is 1) a big rivalry between HLS and YLS which I thought it would be cool to try and bridge, 2) they are relatively close, thus making it at least fesable to hang out IRL on occasion in the future (which is why I didn't include SLS when it is, let's face it, at least as good as both of our schools, no matter what the rankings may say), 3) because, as bgc noted, there is a huge overlap between our applicant pools and, as I got to know a decent number of you from the waiting room, I really woudl like to keep in touch and 4) because we all will be very busy next year and, as someone who coordinates a lot of things, I know that it is hard enough to work with two different groups in two different states without throwing on 5-6 more groups and states.

If this thing takes off (which I'm still not sure it will,) I would be thrilled if it would expand to include more schools and whatnot. However, the key to success, as my father always told me, is to start small and grow. If I came across as arrogant or pompous, I'm really sorry. Looking back, I see how this could be read this way. However, please know this was the furthest from my mind. I think those of you who have dealt w/ me on TLS before would attest to this.

Also, I apologize for my habit of making numbered lists. It's something I fall back into when I feel defensive/hurt and its something I am still working on.

Ok, leaving you all in peace.... now! :)
hey iagolives, I'm all for encouraging YLS-HLS fraternization. Yale and Harvard, for undergrad and law, form a natural pair. I don't think we should worry about offending other schools. After all, Columbia and NYU have a lot of opportunities for mixing, as do Stanford and Berkeley. As the two New England Ivy League law schools, why should not we?

As someone who has lived in Boston for many years, I would very much like to stay connected to Harvard. Count me in.

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:36 am

Honestly, I'm surprised we even got our e-mail addresses in June. Maybe Yale will surprise us all and provide our section assignments early, but something tells me we won't know until orientation...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Severa

New

Post by Severa » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Funny how many of us are already on the A-type track and are trying to get a heads up on the upcoming semester. I was actually wondering if anyone had heard of any good places to go and purchase used books for the first semester, or is it better to just grin and bear the hefty cost of brand new books...Also, is there any standard list of books that are usually assigned that first semester?

Thanks, all!

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Does anyone else have a termbill balance? I'm planning to pay my tuition bill with loans, but none of my loan information has appeared on Yale's ebill system. Our bill is supposed to be paid by August 3rd. I imagine I'm not the only one in this situation. Has anyone talked to the financial aid office about this?

In addition, have we received anything important via snail mail in the past six weeks? I have been in Greece and Turkey, and so I have not checked mail, and I will not have a chance to check it before August 1st. Thanks! :)

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Hey all --

I come warily into this thread from the dark side, aka Harvard Law. Please allow me to live. I see iago already touched upon HLS-YLS group idea earlier, but I felt I should elaborate a little bit.

First, it is, at this stage, nothing more than a Facebook group. Where it goes from here depends on the interest over the coming months. Right now, it is just a place for members of both schools to communicate, debate, brainstorm, etc.

An official, TLS-esque forum may be forthcoming, depending.

If the interest is high enough, there is a lot that could be done and the group could be quite powerful. In the short-term, simply for getting to know some new people, professional networking, discussion of legal matters, community-betterment projects, etc. In the long-term (and this would obviously be very long-term), it could be a sort of alum association, fund-raising, politics, scholarships for students interested in law, helping each other out with career moves, etc.

Second, it wouldn't be an exclusive group in the sense that people from SCCN would be barred from participation. The group is just intended to - at least initially - foster fraternization between YLS and HLS. As someone mentioned, Stanford and Berkeley have a lot of opportunities for networking, as do Columbia and NYU - why not the two New England Ivies, that just happen to be the top 2 law schools in the nation? A lot could be accomplished by putting our heads together.

Third, I'm all for a good rivalry. I went to an SEC school for undergrad. I know all about rivalries. Rivalries, however, shouldn't preclude cooperation for the greater good. An intense rivalry can be maintained between friends. I'm a Steelers fan, and am close friends with a Ravens fan. Just sayin'...

Anyway, as I said, this is very early and a bit of an experiment at this point. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but I think it might be something worth trying.

If you're interested, PM iago or myself, or request to join the facebook group here

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:23 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:13 pm

franfair wrote:
tinman wrote:Does anyone else have a termbill balance? I'm planning to pay my tuition bill with loans, but none of my loan information has appeared on Yale's ebill system. Our bill is supposed to be paid by August 3rd. I imagine I'm not the only one in this situation. Has anyone talked to the financial aid office about this?
I am still confused about this too--even after reading the new student information we received today.
Yeah, if it's not cleared up by the 3rd, I guess we will be on "Financial Hold." It doesn't sound like too terrible a fate, with no consequences before August 27th as far as I can tell,. My guess is that the system may update our financial aid information on August 1st. That's my hope at least.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:26 am

are we going to get more detailed info about orientation before we arrive or do we just have to wait until august 26th to find out about these "faculty introductory lectures". also when do we get our registration packet - it sounded like we had to fill something out from it prior to registration. does it come in the mail? i am one of those people that really likes to get all the information upfront - this whole thing is driving me a little nuts...

and was anyone able to get into symplicity? they mentioned it in regards to faculty RA positions. i wanted to check it out given all the stuff that's been said about OCI (esp. YLS OCI). but i couldn't log in with my email address and netid.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 am

littleboyblue wrote: i wanted to check it out given all the stuff that's been said about OCI (esp. YLS OCI). but i couldn't log in with my email address and netid.
Can you elaborate?

And yeah, I wish Yale were a bit more up front with what is going on--ha, for example, it would have been nice to have learned about 'Yale Inside' before it was in a packet yesterday (unless I missed it previously, in which case I shamefacedly retract my example). Also scheduling/booklists and such--I would like to have time to shop around/buy used/etc, but it's looking like that might be a bit too much to ask of YLS :wink: :cry:

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:47 pm

What is everyone doing for cable + internet? Is the default provider basically Comcast? Are there any other options?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baboonis

New

Post by Baboonis » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 pm

AT&T offers DSL. I believe Earthlink may as well for some areas, but apparently not for my address.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:12 pm

well now that we have "homework" i feel like the first days of school are quickly approaching! better enjoy my last days of summer...

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:43 pm

littleboyblue wrote:well now that we have "homework" i feel like the first days of school are quickly approaching! better enjoy my last days of summer...
whaaaa? what came in the mail?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tally72

New

Post by Tally72 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:50 pm

joshikousei wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:well now that we have "homework" i feel like the first days of school are quickly approaching! better enjoy my last days of summer...
whaaaa? what came in the mail?
The assignment came via email. If you didn't get it, you may want to check your spam filter.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:30 pm

Tally72 wrote: The assignment came via email. If you didn't get it, you may want to check your spam filter.
it should also be posted on the facebook page.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:42 pm

any big intramural people here? I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to field softball and flag football teams. At my UG the grad schools were always a little more successful by nature of no longer being teenaged...we should rake if we can get a good squad together.

DontKnowMe

New

Post by DontKnowMe » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:52 pm

SparkyLives wrote:any big intramural people here? I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to field softball and flag football teams. At my UG the grad schools were always a little more successful by nature of no longer being teenaged...we should rake if we can get a good squad together.
Count me in! Definitely for softball.

And I wish they would stop sending me mail to my undergrad email account and switch completely to the Yale one already....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”