The Ohio State University 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Notor

Bronze

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Post by Notor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:37 pm

tommy1 wrote:Hey
does anyone who live or lived or been to Columbus near the campus know what the neighborhood near Kroger market is like?
I am looking for places to live near there but I read somewhere the neighborhood there is a bit sketchy....

THANKS
We call that Kroger "Kro-ghetto" FWIW

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:11 pm

My advice to any new people would be to avoid the South Campus Gateway apartments. That area of High Street is super loud, and the gateway is home to 2 of the most popular bars on campus, so expect a lot of foot traffic, yelling, and loud music. Those apartments are also super expensive for Columbus. You could find far cheaper options if you looked in the Off-campus area.

lanvengrey

New

Post by lanvengrey » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Notor wrote:My advice to any new people would be to avoid the South Campus Gateway apartments. That area of High Street is super loud, and the gateway is home to 2 of the most popular bars on campus, so expect a lot of foot traffic, yelling, and loud music. Those apartments are also super expensive for Columbus. You could find far cheaper options if you looked in the Off-campus area.
Which area/ housing option would you suggest that is in a very good/ quiet neighborhood but is still within a close walk to the law school? I guess rent for me is not really a priority at the moment.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm

lanvengrey wrote:
Notor wrote:My advice to any new people would be to avoid the South Campus Gateway apartments. That area of High Street is super loud, and the gateway is home to 2 of the most popular bars on campus, so expect a lot of foot traffic, yelling, and loud music. Those apartments are also super expensive for Columbus. You could find far cheaper options if you looked in the Off-campus area.
Which area/ housing option would you suggest that is in a very good/ quiet neighborhood but is still within a close walk to the law school? I guess rent for me is not really a priority at the moment.
I would look into the South Campus area... from like W 5th-10th. Within walking distance of campus, cheaper than the Gateway and a lot quieter. Also should be calmer/quieter than the off-campus area (where I live now) which is a lot of fun but gets kinda wild on the weekends.

lucyinthesky

New

Post by lucyinthesky » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:48 pm

I'm not sure if this has been touched upon yet. If so, I apologize... to the Columbus experts: how well will I get around without a car? I'm coming from South Carolina and will be living in South Campus. I'd like to have a car mainly to go grocery shopping on weekends and maybe an occasional outing to the mall or movies or for interviews in the future, but I'm a little hesitant about paying the extra cash for it. From what I hear, the public transportation is not particularly great. Is the ghetto Kroger the only option for groceries? Do the buses go to the nearby Target? If I were to bring a car, is Columbus traffic an issue?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:56 am

lucyinthesky wrote:I'm not sure if this has been touched upon yet. If so, I apologize... to the Columbus experts: how well will I get around without a car? I'm coming from South Carolina and will be living in South Campus. I'd like to have a car mainly to go grocery shopping on weekends and maybe an occasional outing to the mall or movies or for interviews in the future, but I'm a little hesitant about paying the extra cash for it. From what I hear, the public transportation is not particularly great. Is the ghetto Kroger the only option for groceries? Do the buses go to the nearby Target? If I were to bring a car, is Columbus traffic an issue?
Having a car is definitely a plus for getting around, especially if you want to get out of the campus area. If you have a car, you can go to various Giant Eagles (same thing as Kroger) or lame eco-marts like World Market. Having a car in Columbus is definitely worth it for the mobility it offers you.

However, there really is a lot to do in the campus area. A car would help things, but I would hesitate to call it a necessity, especially considering that you have to pay insurance, gas, and then deal with the parking situation on South Campus. (Street sweeping, game days, and you had better learn to parallel park). You don't need a car for movies, there is a first-run theater in the Gateway that is only $6.50 for students. Kroghetto is only bad after hours, so if you went shopping at like noon it wouldnt really be a big deal, but then you are walking home with a bunch of groceries. I guess it depends on your budget.

buckeyefan3

New

Post by buckeyefan3 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi All....from Ohio, went to Ohio State for undergrad but have been out a coupla years.

For those of you new to this forum, welcome! Can't wait to meet you.

If you are having questions about cars, where to live, etc...please read through the rest of this thread b/c a lot of people have already given advice on this and it might be of help to you :)

dholyghozt

New

Post by dholyghozt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:06 pm

hey everyone...who else managed to snag Football Season Tix...

Group Seating just opened up today...any of you aware of a Law School Seating Group?

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:11 pm

dholyghozt wrote:hey everyone...who else managed to snag Football Season Tix...

Group Seating just opened up today...any of you aware of a Law School Seating Group?
Ah, I got that email too. Got tickets here.

Maybe we should wait a bit and try to get something set up. "All group submissions completed during the 2 week window will be given equal consideration." So we should have a bit of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dholyghozt

New

Post by dholyghozt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:26 pm

Yeah, I was wondering if the SBA creates its own group and if they take 1Ls on because I believe the seating priority is based on the member of the group with the lowest Rank.

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:34 pm

i figure since we're rank 0, we'll have to be split up.

i'm fine with that, we just need to get our group going. someone posted on facebook already

dholyghozt

New

Post by dholyghozt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:35 pm

haha yea that's me

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 pm

well crap, just you and me on the ball, it seems.

someone should just make the group
Moritz 2012... and we can start filling it up

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dholyghozt

New

Post by dholyghozt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:05 pm

I'll send an email to the SBA pres.

meganw212

New

Post by meganw212 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Hey, everyone! I am excited to be attending OSU this fall, and I am also eagerly awaiting word on the law school football seating group.

Is anyone else in the DC area this summer? I'm here for an internship and thought it might be fun to meet up for happy hour or something.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:39 am

opj2002 wrote:

Maybe we should wait a bit and try to get something set up. "All group submissions completed during the 2 week window will be given equal consideration." So we should have a bit of time.
Hey, fill me in - I didn't get the e-mail probably because I just got in off the waitlist recently. But I am definitely up for football tix - can you share the details?

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:31 am

ruleser wrote:
opj2002 wrote:

Hey, fill me in - I didn't get the e-mail probably because I just got in off the waitlist recently. But I am definitely up for football tix - can you share the details?
The email was a follow-up to those who had purchased tickets. We had to purchase the tickets a couple weeks ago. You probably should contact the ticket office to see if any tickets are still available.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thefalls

New

Post by thefalls » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:12 pm

No student tickets left ... I checked today.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to score single tickets from other students during the season? How big is the mark-up, usually?

I've ruled out getting into the USC game and I'm not really interested in Navy or New Mexico State, but would like to see a few of the Big Ten home games.

randomwit

New

Post by randomwit » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 am

thefalls wrote:No student tickets left ... I checked today.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to score single tickets from other students during the season? How big is the mark-up, usually?

I've ruled out getting into the USC game and I'm not really interested in Navy or New Mexico State, but would like to see a few of the Big Ten home games.
Well, my tuition is about 10k a year, so just to be fair and since we are fellow 1L's, I can sell you my tickets for 9k firm. LOL

dholyghozt

New

Post by dholyghozt » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:39 am

For those who got tickets we're trying to start a 1L Seating Group. And if anyone knows if there's a general Law School Group organized by the SBA or something please let us know.

here's the group info

Group Name: Moritz 2012
Group Password: buckeyelaw2012

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:56 am

dholyghozt wrote:For those who got tickets we're trying to start a 1L Seating Group. And if anyone knows if there's a general Law School Group organized by the SBA or something please let us know.

here's the group info

Golden! spread the word!

You think admissions office would be willing to send out an email blast to all admitted students?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lym

New

Post by lym » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:33 pm

dholyghozt wrote:For those who got tickets we're trying to start a 1L Seating Group. And if anyone knows if there's a general Law School Group organized by the SBA or something please let us know.

here's the group info

Is there a cap on your group? Somebody I know just made one & they are limited to 5 people.

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:14 pm

lym wrote:

here's the group info

Is there a cap on your group? Somebody I know just made one & they are limited to 5 people.
Oh I hope not. I didn't see anything in the email about a cap. That'd be pretty lame, if you ask me.

thefalls

New

Post by thefalls » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:44 pm

randomwit wrote:
thefalls wrote:No student tickets left ... I checked today.

Well, my tuition is about 10k a year, so just to be fair and since we are fellow 1L's, I can sell you my tickets for 9k firm. LOL
Including the USC game? lol

lym

New

Post by lym » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:16 pm

opj2002 wrote:
lym wrote:

here's the group info

Oh I hope not. I didn't see anything in the email about a cap. That'd be pretty lame, if you ask me.
If you look at the group (where it lists who is signed up for the group) it will say how many seats are left. At least, that's how it is for my friend's group.

I like the idea, I wanted to group my seat with other people that were looking to sell/exchange some of their tickets (since I wouldn't go to all of the games). If people are not interested in the UofI game (it's on my birthday & it's against my bro's school) let me know if you want to group with me and another person so that we can all exchange tickets for the games we want (ie. you'd be able to bring yourself and possibly your friends). & you obviously wouldn't have to exchange/sell all of your tickets.... I just have personal interest in the UofI game. 8)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”