Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Lem37

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by Lem37 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:11 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
zero1 wrote:Farnsworth or Chirelstein for Contracts?
Strange that Chirelstein technically "uses" Farnsworth, according to the booklist.
Eh, Bobbitt uses Strauss's book for the majority of his reading. I think it's pretty common.
Lies. Bobbitt doesn't use books.
If Bobbitt didn't use books, I would have probably been drinking with you last night. Bobbitt uses MAD BOOKS.

HugerThanSoup

Bronze

Post by HugerThanSoup » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:21 pm

Lem37 wrote:
If Bobbitt didn't use books, I would have probably been drinking with you last night. Bobbitt uses MAD BOOKS.
Ah, rookie mistake lem - putting class assignments ahead of drinking and mayhem. GMike would never do such a thing.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:56 pm

HugerThanSoup wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
Ah, rookie mistake lem - putting class assignments ahead of drinking and mayhem. GMike would never do such a thing.
You know, you're probably typing this from somewhere 10 feet away from me, ie in the law school, which is unspeakably creepy.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Lem37 wrote: If Bobbitt didn't use books, I would have probably been drinking with you last night. Bobbitt uses MAD BOOKS.
You're lucky you didn't. Legal methods hungover makes the list of top five worst experiences of my life. If I get socratic methoded when I get back, it's going to be on the top three list.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:49 pm

HugerThanSoup wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
hahaha Gmike is famous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 pm

I just recollected that I haven't met any of you fine people yet (or maybe I have?). Daaaaaamn.

HugerThanSoup

Bronze

Post by HugerThanSoup » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Lem37 wrote:
HugerThanSoup wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
You know, you're probably typing this from somewhere 10 feet away from me, ie in the law school, which is unspeakably creepy.
Haha, you wish. No, I'm sorry to inform that I was posting, as I am now, from the comfort and serenity of my hot, steamy, unventilated apartment.

dev2012

New

Post by dev2012 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:35 pm

Anyone that has Legal Practice on Fridays possibly interested in trading schedules with someone who doesn't?

I was hoping for Sturm, Shaw, or Suzanne Goldberg for Civ Pro, but didn't get them, so I might be up for trading schedules with someone.

I have Anne O'Connell for Civ Pro, Rapaczynski for Torts, and Victor Goldberg for Contracts.

PM me if you might be interested in swapping schedules; if you would want to trade and you don't have any of those three Civ Pro profs, PM me anyway and we can talk.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:07 pm

haha i totally ditched TLS when school started.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

asealclubber

New

Post by asealclubber » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:32 pm

dev2012 wrote:Anyone that has Legal Practice on Fridays possibly interested in trading schedules with someone who doesn't?

I was hoping for Sturm, Shaw, or Suzanne Goldberg for Civ Pro, but didn't get them, so I might be up for trading schedules with someone.

I have Anne O'Connell for Civ Pro, Rapaczynski for Torts, and Victor Goldberg for Contracts.

PM me if you might be interested in swapping schedules; if you would want to trade and you don't have any of those three Civ Pro profs, PM me anyway and we can talk.
Uhh..what? Why are you so intent on having any one of three profs to be your civ pro prof? Also, have you even contacted the registrar about whether "swapping schedules" is allowed?

LoveButton

New

Post by LoveButton » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:04 am

asealclubber wrote:
dev2012 wrote:Anyone that has Legal Practice on Fridays possibly interested in trading schedules with someone who doesn't?

Uhh..what? Why are you so intent on having any one of three profs to be your civ pro prof? Also, have you even contacted the registrar about whether "swapping schedules" is allowed?
in our year, you could swap if you found someone to take your whole schedule, and you would take their whole schedule.

M51

Bronze

Post by M51 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:57 am

LoveButton wrote:Re: study tips

I studied about half the time that many of my classmates did. I believe that, once you have a basic understanding of the material, pouring on extra hours will not help you. It's all about what you do with the materials you are given on the exam. After a certain point, extra study hours just do not correllate with better performance. Embrace this truth and you will be happier.

Ultimately, you've gotta do what works for you and just ignore what everyone else is doing. Especially ignore people who are doing more work than you are. My own method was simply to keep up with the reading all semester. I didn't mess with hornbooks, I just stayed on top of my reading. I started and finished my outlines within a month of exams (not earlier), and I took one or two practice exams for some of my classes. I worked through the E&E's during reading week. During the semester, all I did was the assigned reading. I had a lot of spare time and joined the musical second semester. I can count on one hand the number of times I raised my hand in class all year :-)

I say this mainly to illustrate the success of what I Think is a very reasonable, and possibly very light, course of study during 1L.

QFT. This means those of you who have legal methods study groups (you know who you are...) please stop for the love of all that is good in this world. :)

I did this my second semester and my grades went up by so much. Ahh, why didn't you tell me your secrets earlier! Would have saved me a lot of time and $ spent on hornbooks first semester. Congrats on the offer btw, always good to have one in the bag. Also, that thread on xoxo isn't completely off base (just a very skewed self-selecting sample size), for the non-Stone, non-LR people it really seems to be hit/miss, as in if you're a good interviewer, you still have plenty of callbacks, and if you're not a great interviewer, you're kindda screwed this year.

You eventually realize that it's mostly the same people you're seeing at callback receptions, not just the same LR people, but also a few of the same non-Stone non-LR people. Whatever the firms like to believe... they all seem to end up going after the same type of people even when they try to look “beyond the grades”. Either way, the 160k jobs are def no longer guaranteed ITE. Should be better next summer though!

totebag

New

Post by totebag » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:53 am

Last edited by totebag on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:41 pm

totebag wrote:
M51 wrote:
LoveButton wrote:Re: study tips

I studied about half the time that many of my classmates did. I believe that, once you have a basic understanding of the material, pouring on extra hours will not help you. It's all about what you do with the materials you are given on the exam. After a certain point, extra study hours just do not correllate with better performance. Embrace this truth and you will be happier.

Ultimately, you've gotta do what works for you and just ignore what everyone else is doing. Especially ignore people who are doing more work than you are. My own method was simply to keep up with the reading all semester. I didn't mess with hornbooks, I just stayed on top of my reading. I started and finished my outlines within a month of exams (not earlier), and I took one or two practice exams for some of my classes. I worked through the E&E's during reading week. During the semester, all I did was the assigned reading. I had a lot of spare time and joined the musical second semester. I can count on one hand the number of times I raised my hand in class all year :-)

I say this mainly to illustrate the success of what I Think is a very reasonable, and possibly very light, course of study during 1L.
Either way, the 160k jobs are def no longer guaranteed ITE. Should be better next summer though!
I specifically remember when you wrote this (I remember your avatar):

2. Out of 400 students, we've identified less than 10 gunners. And, like I said before, they all go out and have fun and most of them are really nice and fun people. Maybe 1 out of 5 people have cracked open a hornbook (extra study material) already, and only 2 out of 5 even have hornbooks. Very few people (<10%) are in study groups right now. Everyone'll get an objective "great" job when they graduate, not many people are looking for clerkships/acedemia, so the atmosphere is very low pressure. But, it's still law school, not UG, and people are more mature, which shows in thier attitude towards doing work. If it's there, people are more than willing to do it, but very few people are going above and beyond (or they're just lying to me about it ). I think it'll pick up in intensity by Thanksgiving.

I was getting skeptical even back then....(fall, 08)
Maybe I'm being a bit obtuse... but what's the point of this post beyond "I told you so! Naaaa na-na na-naaaa-na!"? Things are... subpar. But recovery might just be on the horizon. The legal market (as a service market) tends to lag the rest of the economy, meaning the legal market's recovery should follow the broader economy's recovery. The broader economy is starting to look better. Accordingly, the legal market may pick back up in the near future.

On a broader note, I hope the current (and we hope temporary) turmoil doesn't turn our class into a bunch of high-stress gunners with attitudes. Let's work hard enough, but let's also be civil and have some damn fun. Besides, a CLS degree remains a CLS degree. :)

It's Friday! I <3 weekends! :D

M51

Bronze

Post by M51 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 pm

totebag wrote: I specifically remember when you wrote this (I remember your avatar):

2. Out of 400 students, we've identified less than 10 gunners. And, like I said before, they all go out and have fun and most of them are really nice and fun people. Maybe 1 out of 5 people have cracked open a hornbook (extra study material) already, and only 2 out of 5 even have hornbooks. Very few people (<10%) are in study groups right now. Everyone'll get an objective "great" job when they graduate, not many people are looking for clerkships/acedemia, so the atmosphere is very low pressure. But, it's still law school, not UG, and people are more mature, which shows in thier attitude towards doing work. If it's there, people are more than willing to do it, but very few people are going above and beyond (or they're just lying to me about it ). I think it'll pick up in intensity by Thanksgiving.

I was getting skeptical even back then....(fall, 08)
I apologize for sharing the viewpoint almost everyone had up until EIP actually started. I should have been more psychic. I don't know when this was written, but most of the firings and deferals didn't come in until winter/spring. Even then, you'd be hardpressed to find anyone in CCN who didn't think they'd be okay. Hell, you'd have been hardpressed to find anyone at the lower T14 who didn't think they were still mostly okay during fall '08. Again, my apologies for not being psychic.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:20 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:On a broader note, I hope the current (and we hope temporary) turmoil doesn't turn our class into a bunch of high-stress gunners with attitudes. Let's work hard enough, but let's also be civil and have some damn fun. Besides, a CLS degree remains a CLS degree. :)

It's Friday! I <3 weekends! :D
make sure you take the drinking slowly, "like porcupines having sex."

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:36 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:make sure you take the drinking slowly, "like porcupines having sex."
:lol:
+
Seixas = sexy ass
Dropped a load
Couples coupling automatically by impact.

We've had a decent number of pretty amusing moments in that class. Or maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:45 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:make sure you take the drinking slowly, "like porcupines having sex."
+
Seixas = sexy ass
Dropped a load

We've had a decent number of pretty amusing moments in that class. Or maybe I'm just losing my mind.
he's such a dirty/awesome old man.

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 pm

+
Seixas = sexy ass
Dropped a load

Wait, are you in SOVERN, too? We have to meet. Where do you sit?

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:25 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
+
Seixas = sexy ass
Dropped a load

Yea man, I'm in Sovern's section. I just PMed you where I sit and what not, so check your inbox.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:32 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
+
Seixas = sexy ass
Dropped a load

Yea man, I'm in Sovern's section. I just PMed you where I sit and what not, so check your inbox.
just admit that you're the "dropped a load" guy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:37 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:Wait, are you in SOVERN, too? We have to meet. Where do you sit?
Me? Nah - you know who I am! But "dropped a load" dude was pretty epic in class. Hats off to him.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:08 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:Wait, are you in SOVERN, too? We have to meet. Where do you sit?
Me? Nah - you know who I am! But "dropped a load" dude was pretty epic in class. Hats off to him.
I know, I just wanted to pretend you were the "dropped a load" guy.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:40 pm

I'm in Sovern too..do I know any of you?

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Hey guys! I figured it's time for a CLS 1L Taking Questions thread. Please feel free to help me out!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=86289

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”