Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Objection

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by Objection » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:55 am

Redfern wrote:A few places I went for furniture:

College Furniture on Harvard Ave in Allston. A few of the pieces are nicer, but mostly it's what you'd expect. They have great area rugs.

Target at the Watertown Mall. I think their stuff is a little nicer than Ikea for comparable prices. You've got to assemble it, but that means its easy to fit in a car.

Cort's on Beacon Street in Brighton. They've got good upholstered furniture at very low prices. They don't deliver, but they will arrange prompt delivery that's also very cheap.

Redfern!

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:00 am

Did everyone get the e-mail from HLS central??
Friday August 28th, 10 p.m. @ The Hong Kong
--LinkRemoved--

Saturday August 29th, 10 p.m. @ Tommy Doyle's
--LinkRemoved--

Sunday August 30th, 10 p.m. @ Wonder Bar
--LinkRemoved--
PARTY TIME!

lawnerd

New

Post by lawnerd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:18 am

There's a UPS store at 1770 Mass Ave. If you call them and let them know in advance that you're having packages sent there, they will accept them and notify you when they arrive. They charge $10/day/package though.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:18 am

So, maybe its just the landlocked-state boy in me coming out, but is anyone else concerned about Hurricane Bill? They aren't sure but one of the projections has it making landfall in Massachusetts Sunday... Any thought?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:23 am

iagolives wrote:So, maybe its just the landlocked-state boy in me coming out, but is anyone else concerned about Hurricane Bill? They aren't sure but one of the projections has it making landfall in Massachusetts Sunday... Any thought?

Hahaha, really?

When I moved to Louisiana, Hurricane Katrina came within a week and a half.

I then dealt with Ike and Gustav last year.

Now, I move to Cambridge and we're going to get a hurricane up here?

I'm starting to think they follow me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:27 am

crazy_zoologist wrote:Did everyone get the e-mail from HLS central??
--LinkRemoved--

Saturday August 29th, 10 p.m. @ Tommy Doyle's
--LinkRemoved--

Sunday August 30th, 10 p.m. @ Wonder Bar
--LinkRemoved--
PARTY TIME!
Lol, I didn't get anything about this...

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am

iagolives wrote:So, maybe its just the landlocked-state boy in me coming out, but is anyone else concerned about Hurricane Bill? They aren't sure but one of the projections has it making landfall in Massachusetts Sunday... Any thought?
I've lived here for 10 years: we only get hurricane left-overs - heavy rain/t-storms, wind, maybe some power outage, etc. Not to worry :)

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:31 am

yagrish wrote:
I've lived here for 10 years: we only get hurricane left-overs - heavy rain/t-storms, wind, maybe some power outage, etc. Not to worry :)
This one actually looks like its first real impact will be felt right on the Mass coast.

Edit: for clarification
Last edited by Objection on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:34 am

Objection wrote:
yagrish wrote:
This one actually looks like its first landfall will be right near Boston.
...at 110 MPH. Those don't sound like leftovers to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:06 pm

New England hasn't been hit hard for a while, but there is a reason it's hard to get home owner's insurance in RI. The last hurricane to cause major damage in Mass was 1938 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Englan ... ne_of_1938). Providence was, IIRC, been underwater in the wake of hurricanes four times in the 20th C.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:09 pm

crazy_zoologist wrote:
--LinkRemoved--
PARTY TIME!

For those of you new to the area, I hope you take this opportunity to experience the wonderful local tradition of Scorpion Bowls.

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:21 pm

1. Not only do we have to remember class rooms and assigned seating but now we have to remember that our first wed is not wed classes but actually mon classes. hahaha.

2. Hurricanes arent that bad. You just have to stay inside and away from windows. Im from Florida and have gone through a lot of hurricanes (they actually thought bill was going to hit our state originally which would have been 3 tropical depression/storms to hit florida in a week) and Im of the opinion that they are a lot better than tornados and earthquakes which dont come with early warnings. It could cause flooding and flight trouble though. But don't worry about it yet. They will have no real idea where Bill is going until late Friday or Saturday.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:26 pm

FYI: for those of you wanting TV in your room and are living in the dorms.

From Housing Handbook: "Gropius Complex – Individual rooms are not provided with televisions or cable service automatically, so residents will need to sign up with Comcast if they wish to have their own. However, the lounges on Ames 1, 2, 3, 4, Dane 3 and Shaw 2 all have large high-definition flat panel televisions and high-definition cable."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:27 pm

iagolives wrote:FYI: for those of you wanting TV in your room and are living in the dorms.

From Housing Handbook: "Gropius Complex – Individual rooms are not provided with televisions or cable service automatically, so residents will need to sign up with Comcast if they wish to have their own. However, the lounges on Ames 1, 2, 3, 4, Dane 3 and Shaw 2 all have large high-definition flat panel televisions and high-definition cable."
LOL

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:23 pm

bgc wrote:
crazy_zoologist wrote:
--LinkRemoved--
PARTY TIME!

For those of you new to the area, I hope you take this opportunity to experience the wonderful local tradition of Scorpion Bowls.
LOL ... the first night of law school for you guys will be spent at the Kong, that's awesome!! Bad Chinese food on the first floor, bar on the second floor, and sketchy dance floor on the third ... such is the layout of the glorious Kong. It's the bar that stays open latest in Harvard Square, so it's definitely a good place to kick off your life at HLS. You know you have had a very good or a very bad night when you end up ordering a Scorpion Bowl in the restaurant after they kick you out of the top floors (the first floor is open latest). From personal experience, I would stay away from eating the Fisherman's Fury after a night of drinking.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:27 pm

iagolives wrote:FYI: for those of you wanting TV in your room and are living in the dorms.

My 42" LCD will follow my arrival by about 10 days. I will be getting expanded cable, HD programming, the works.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:34 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:

My 42" LCD will follow my arrival by about 10 days. I will be getting expanded cable, HD programming, the works.
ha, glad to know you have that all planned out excelsior. I have to admit, when I read it, you were the first person I thought of... :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:12 pm

seat assignment?!
where do i find this precious information?

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:18 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:seat assignment?!
where do i find this precious information?
I'm guessing that they will give them to at our first [strike]class[/strike] orientation section meeting. However, to be honest, I don't know.

packergirl13

New

Post by packergirl13 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Is the "Distribution Center" the same as the copy center that someone mentioned was in the Pound basement?

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:24 pm

If you go to the National Hurricane Center website and check out the three-day forecast/"Cone of Uncertainty" (or the "Cone of Terror" as some newspaper reporters call it), it looks like Bill won't end up hitting land. And the hurricane reporters at the newspaper I used to work for generally relied the most on that forecast, and the predictions will be more helpful Friday and Saturday.

That said, it will be really ironic if I go three years in South Florida without getting hit by a storm worth mentioning only to get nailed with a hurricane as soon as I move to Massachusetts...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Ha, its funny you updated Iowa, b/c I was just going to post the latest hazardous weather bulletin from the National Weather Service. It looks like, while we are going to get some pretty rough weather (just as I'm getting into town *cough*), we should be spared the hurricane. Yay!

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsBySta ... pe=special

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:40 pm

iagolives wrote:Ha, its funny you updated Iowa, b/c I was just going to post the latest hazardous weather bulletin from the National Weather Service. It looks like, while we are going to get some pretty rough weather (just as I'm getting into town *cough*), we should be spared the hurricane. Yay!

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsBySta ... pe=special
Haha, apparently I have impeccable timing. I just hope it doesn't rain on move-in day. I already had to deal with 95 degrees and rainy when I was moving out of my old place. Granted, that's probably what I get for trying to do a move in Florida in July...

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:05 am

The weather today was an absolute freakshow. Sunny and very warm/humid in the morning and then I'm taking the redline in and it starts pouring. This is some craaaazy stuff! Honestly though, bring on the cold winter... there is really nothing you can do about warm and humid other than be constantly covered in a thrice caked-over film of your own sweat. Fun stuff :)

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:51 am

Sometime when you are bored/procrastinating, read over the beginning of this thread back in November. A lot of us (myself included) sound like bleary-eyed schoolgirls who just got tickets to a Jonas Brothers' concert. It's pretty amusing! :)

It seems like so long ago that we started this whole law school process, doesn't it? Can you believe its (almost) finally here?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”