Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
borntorun

New

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by borntorun » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Objection wrote:One of my profs doesn't allow laptops in class. Not a fan of that, but yeah. I haven't taken notes by hand since...high school?
Yeah, I was not happy to see that. When professors don't allow laptops, I've always had an urge to show up to class with a stone slab and a chisel.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:12 pm

borntorun wrote:
Objection wrote:One of my profs doesn't allow laptops in class. Not a fan of that, but yeah. I haven't taken notes by hand since...high school?
Yeah, I was not happy to see that. When professors don't allow laptops, I've always had an urge to show up to class with a stone slab and a chisel.
Or a typewriter. I'm so doing it, if I have to.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:27 pm

I have to admit, if I were a prof, I don't think I'd allow computers.

*ducks and hides*

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:42 pm

iagolives wrote:I have to admit, if I were a prof, I don't think I'd allow computers.

*ducks and hides*
*cocks iPhone shotgun*

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:54 pm

Not allowing computers doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, at least give the option. If I wanted to take handwritten notes in a class where laptops were allowed, I could. But, at least give us ADULTS the option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:06 pm

Objection wrote:Not allowing computers doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, at least give the option. If I wanted to take handwritten notes in a class where laptops were allowed, I could. But, at least give us ADULTS the option.
No, its more that it would distract me as the professor. Also, I would be convinced people were ignoring me by being on espn.com/iChat. I have a few pet peeves that put me in an incredibly tyrannical mood and one of them is being ignored. It would prob be best for the class as a whole that I stay in good humor, so no computers.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Reading all the posts on handwritten notes makes me wonder what the best option is. I've only ever done handwritten notes. Maybe it is best to go with what has worked for me in the past. I just thought laptops were essential in the classroom since the vast majority of law students use them.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:25 pm

prelaw wrote:Reading all the posts on handwritten notes makes me wonder what the best option is. I've only ever done handwritten notes. Maybe it is best to go with what has worked for me in the past. I just thought laptops were essential in the classroom since the vast majority of law students use them.
I feel like neither method is "essential." I think we'll find that most of 1L is us just figuring out what works for us. Some people who went to schools with 21st century classroom technology and are down with that and so they should continue. Some of us enjoy our retro lifestyle and should roll with it. To paraphrase Millay, I think we each should go with whatever method best allows us to put chaos into outline form.

BTW, this should go without saying, but I'm getting SO excited to meet y'all IRL! :)

jco

New

Post by jco » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:46 am

Objection wrote:Not allowing computers doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, at least give the option. If I wanted to take handwritten notes in a class where laptops were allowed, I could. But, at least give us ADULTS the option.
I don't think laptop bans are generally supported by any sort of paternalistic attitude that some students are choosing poor study habits. Instead, they are intended to 1) enliven and broaden classroom discussion by keeping everyone more involved in what's going on and 2) make sure that students don't distract those around them by surfing websites full of flashing advertisements, scantily-clad people, etc.

I don't find (2) that convincing because I've never seen it as much of a distraction in undergrad, and even if it were a problem, it would be better addressed by disabling wireless. (1) has its merits but I would question whether its worth the tradeoff in convenience for the majority who do use laptops for notes. Personally, I wouldn't mind a ban because I'm not going to use a laptop anyway, but if I were a professor, I probably wouldn't adopt one.

I obviously can't wait for law school to start.. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:43 am

iagolives wrote:
prelaw wrote:Reading all the posts on handwritten notes makes me wonder what the best option is. I've only ever done handwritten notes. Maybe it is best to go with what has worked for me in the past. I just thought laptops were essential in the classroom since the vast majority of law students use them.
I feel like neither method is "essential." I think we'll find that most of 1L is us just figuring out what works for us. Some people who went to schools with 21st century classroom technology and are down with that and so they should continue. Some of us enjoy our retro lifestyle and should roll with it. To paraphrase Millay, I think we each should go with whatever method best allows us to put chaos into outline form.
To paraphrase Kant, "I am a whiny loser, and you should do what I say without question."

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:57 am

iagolives wrote:
No, its more that it would distract me as the professor. Also, I would be convinced people were ignoring me by being on espn.com/iChat. I have a few pet peeves that put me in an incredibly tyrannical mood and one of them is being ignored. It would prob be best for the class as a whole that I stay in good humor, so no computers.
So what if a student is ignoring the professor by being on espn.com/iChat? We are spending $44,000 a year to go here. We are not being paid. If we want to waste it by surfing espn.com in class, then so be it. Our grades will reflect our poor choices. As long as we are not disrupting anyone else, I fail to see the problem.

I find it somewhat bemusing that we have all been admitted to a school that obviously requires some modicum of intelligence, maturity, and responsibility, yet we are being babied and protected from ourselves (reducing our computer budget so we don't spend on stuff we don't need, no laptops in certain classes).
1) enliven and broaden classroom discussion by keeping everyone more involved in what's going
I don't know about everyone else, but I know I'll be a lot less involved in what's going on since I'll be trying to keep up with taking notes by hand, rather than typing notes out quickly (I type 120+ wpm) and then returning focus to the discussion.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:00 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:
To paraphrase Kant, "I am a whiny loser, and you should do what I say without question."
:oops:

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:03 pm

Objection wrote: I find it somewhat bemusing that we have all been admitted to a school that obviously requires some modicum of intelligence, maturity, and responsibility, yet we are being babied and protected from ourselves (reducing our computer budget so we don't spend on stuff we don't need, no laptops in certain classes).
1) enliven and broaden classroom discussion by keeping everyone more involved in what's going
I don't know about everyone else, but I know I'll be a lot less involved in what's going on since I'll be trying to keep up with taking notes by hand, rather than typing notes out quickly (I type 120+ wpm) and then returning focus to the discussion.
Alright, I had NO idea this computer thing was such a big deal. I concede. Y'all are right.

Jeez, tough crowd out there today.

EDIT: (I guess I didn't notice how intolerable things were b/c we liberals seem to make our bread and butter protecting people from ourselves.... haha)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HMLTrojans2005

New

Post by HMLTrojans2005 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:03 pm

I type 121+ wpm.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:29 pm

HMLTrojans2005 wrote:I type 121+ wpm.
Congrats. MUCH better than me! :)

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:29 pm

http://apps.facebook.com/typingmaster/

For those curious about their typing. I like this one because A) it deletes random words in the text once you start typing, so you can't just memorize the passage and B) it compares you with the ~120,000 Facebook users who have used the app so far.

Also C) it gives you a net score + accuracy. So if you're typing 80 WPM with 80% accuracy, that means you're really typing 100 words, but you made mistakes on 20 of them. For note-taking in class, a typo here and there can be just fine as long as you can fix things during a lull.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:16 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:http://apps.facebook.com/typingmaster/

For those curious about their typing. I like this one because A) it deletes random words in the text once you start typing, so you can't just memorize the passage and B) it compares you with the ~120,000 Facebook users who have used the app so far.

Also C) it gives you a net score + accuracy. So if you're typing 80 WPM with 80% accuracy, that means you're really typing 100 words, but you made mistakes on 20 of them. For note-taking in class, a typo here and there can be just fine as long as you can fix things during a lull.
You're the only one on my FB friends who typed faster than I. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:07 pm

123 wpm? Daaaaaaaaamn, homie!

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Objection wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:http://apps.facebook.com/typingmaster/

You're the only one on my FB friends who typed faster than I. :(
I'm in the 99.95th percentile of typing, LOL!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:40 pm

At the risk of gaining the ire of this board again...

For those of you taking Leg. and Reg. this semester, what kind of books (if any) are y'all getting for that class? I mean, our book isn't out yet, so I can't exactly leaf through the table of contents for ideas...

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:43 pm

iagolives wrote:At the risk of gaining the ire of this board again...

For those of you taking Leg. and Reg. this semester, what kind of books (if any) are y'all getting for that class? I mean, our book isn't out yet, so I can't exactly leaf through the table of contents for ideas...
You ignored me.

Administrative Law E&E and other administrative law supplements are the closest you're going to get. I promise.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:48 pm

Objection wrote:
iagolives wrote:At the risk of gaining the ire of this board again...

You ignored me.

Administrative Law E&E and other administrative law supplements are the closest you're going to get. I promise.
I did not ignore you, I was just curious!

My comment still stands; I think you need a drink, broheim. ;)

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Does anyone know the earliest date we can start hitting up the gym?

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:31 pm

sluggo wrote:Does anyone know the earliest date we can start hitting up the gym?
The almighty fb group says that, as long as you know your ID number and tell the people at the front desk that you are a soon-to-be student, they will let you in. However, as I'm not in MA yet, I have not tried this, so beware! ;)

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:43 pm

sweeeeeeet :D

I was hoping for this, but didn't want to bank on it and become psychologically distraught when it didn't pan out. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”