Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
TopCat

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by TopCat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 am

IzziesGal wrote:
TopCat wrote:mod 5 section G here so if anyone from G or mod 5 wants to out themselves too, I'm game 8)

Also, anything happening Friday night? I didn't go/ am not going out tonight. But tomorrow night I'm down for a few beers. But I'd rather be with a small group (10-12 people at most) than mingle in a large, faceless crowd.

btw, rotor, nice seeing you again. And, amy, nice to meet you! I didn't see worldtraveler and emilybeth's posts so wasn't on the lookout. But I sure would like to meet you guys, too.
Mod 5 as well =)
no way! how did we miss each other?

btw, what do you make of Le*ter? I'd need a few more classes but as of today's session I'm neither wowed nor underwhelmed.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:56 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Can anyone see their courses on bspace?
I can see a couple of mine so far, but they're not 1L classes, so that might be the hangup..?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:19 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
TopCat wrote:mod 5 section G here so if anyone from G or mod 5 wants to out themselves too, I'm game 8)

Also, anything happening Friday night? I didn't go/ am not going out tonight. But tomorrow night I'm down for a few beers. But I'd rather be with a small group (10-12 people at most) than mingle in a large, faceless crowd.

btw, rotor, nice seeing you again. And, amy, nice to meet you! I didn't see worldtraveler and emilybeth's posts so wasn't on the lookout. But I sure would like to meet you guys, too.
Mod 5 as well =)
IG & TC: if you haven't found each other by Monday, let me know. I can make the flesh & blood introduction since I know you both.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:09 am

worldtraveler wrote:I'm mod 8, section L here. No TLSers in my mod, at least as far as I know :(
Mod 9 Section L here... I couldn't hear anyone's introductions today with that fan blowing but will look forward to meeting you soon.

I didn't check here till tonight so I missed the boat on lunch today. :(

Amy, nice to see you briefly the other day hope to see more of you soon!

Rotor, I've seen you across the room a few times but haven't said hi yet, we met at Admit day though.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:51 am

feeblemiles wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:I'm mod 8, section L here. No TLSers in my mod, at least as far as I know :(
Mod 9 Section L here... I couldn't hear anyone's introductions today with that fan blowing but will look forward to meeting you soon.

I didn't check here till tonight so I missed the boat on lunch today. :(

Amy, nice to see you briefly the other day hope to see more of you soon!

Rotor, I've seen you across the room a few times but haven't said hi yet, we met at Admit day though.
I'm in section L too! I think I might have talked to you today, after the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:03 pm

Has anyone successfully found anything in bspace? I can't figure it out and one of my readings for Monday is in there. HALP!

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:37 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Has anyone successfully found anything in bspace? I can't figure it out and one of my readings for Monday is in there. HALP!
I just tried it and LRW, Property and Contracts are there but no Torts yet, out of my classes. Probably will be up tomorrow? I don't know.

And, WT, nice meeting you finally.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:00 pm

TopCat wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:Has anyone successfully found anything in bspace? I can't figure it out and one of my readings for Monday is in there. HALP!
I just tried it and LRW, Property and Contracts are there but no Torts yet, out of my classes. Probably will be up tomorrow? I don't know.

And, WT, nice meeting you finally.
Yeah nice meeting you, too. I can't even find any listing where any of my classes are. This thing is really giving me a headache.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:18 pm

WT, your "My Workspace" section should have the classes. Actually, all your classes should be open as tabs. Has it been 24 hours since your registered classes? Maybe wait a few more hours?

Y'all, check out the "Seating Chart" section via bSpace. If you click on any of your classes tabs, you will see "Seating Chart" on the left menu. It takes you to Berkeley Law site where you reenter Calnet ID/passphrase and it shows your classes. Clicking on the "Location" link there opens up the seating chart. Some strivers (ahem) have already taken up the front/center/prime seats in my supermod classes. But which seats are prime depends on one's perspective, I guess. I, for one, like to sit as far away as possible so I added seats in the middle/back and to the left/right.

Enjoy the weekend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Yeah none of my classes are listed. :( I don't have my books yet either so I needed to use bspace for the readings.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:08 pm

According to a small section at the bottom of one of the The State Bar of California web pages:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Law students must register with the Committee of Bar Examiners within 90 days of beginning the study of law (Business & Professions Code section 6060(d)). Registration information can be found on the State Bar’s Web site. Creating a My Law Student Profile does not fulfill a law student’s obligation to register with the Committee of Bar Examiners."

What's odd is, I can't find any other information about this on The State Bar's website or anywhere else. Anyone know anything about this?

--LinkRemoved--

iamlife1001

New

Post by iamlife1001 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Drake014 wrote:According to a small section at the bottom of one of the The State Bar of California web pages:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Law students must register with the Committee of Bar Examiners within 90 days of beginning the study of law (Business & Professions Code section 6060(d)). Registration information can be found on the State Bar’s Web site. Creating a My Law Student Profile does not fulfill a law student’s obligation to register with the Committee of Bar Examiners."

What's odd is, I can't find any other information about this on The State Bar's website or anywhere else. Anyone know anything about this?

--LinkRemoved--
thanks, just created the profile and registered at the bar and here's the url -(92 f^#*ng dollars for this shit) - edit: I guess it's eating of the trees for 5 days to compensate for this damned fee

http://calbar.xap.com/Applications/CalB ... efault.asp

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:45 pm

I now have one class listed on bspace. Apparently other people in my mod also have this problem, so it's not my fault. For a while I was convinced I broke my bspace.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr.Feeny

New

Post by Mr.Feeny » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:32 pm

question: i really want to go to berkeley, did those of you who got accepted write a why berkeley essay or weave it into your ps? if you did do you think it helped? thanks!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:32 am

Mr.Feeny wrote:question: i really want to go to berkeley, did those of you who got accepted write a why berkeley essay or weave it into your ps? if you did do you think it helped? thanks!
I don't remember whether it was an option on the application to write a separate Why Berkeley (don't think so or I would have done it). I did weave in not only why I wanted Berkeley in my PS, but moreso why I felt I fit Berkeley. In essence I see Why X statements as a self-centric "Why X fits me", but I think a more productive route is to say "why I fit X" and therefore will better excel, will achieve my goals, yada yada yada.

Good luck. If it takes some time to get more than just my one input, realize we've just started our first week and we're a bit busy to be cruising TLS as much as we once did :wink:

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:15 pm

I didn't write one and didn't put it in the PS. I can't say I would necessarily recommend this strategy, but it did work for me.

emilybeth

Bronze

Post by emilybeth » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:22 pm

I wasn't realistically planning on getting into/coming to Berkeley so I submitted my generic two-page personal statement/one-page diversity statement that all the other schools got too. I think I might have added in a sentence or two in my personal statement mentioning Berkeley by name and something specific to the law school here ... but it was pretty slapdash. I really didn't think I'd get in or come here though I'm glad that I did. :) I've heard a lot of people say that admissions here places a lot of weight on the longer personal statements, since their cap is four pages (or was, last year) and having a longer personal statement indicates more of a desire to come here specifically. But, clearly, it's certainly not a hard-and-fast thing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emilybeth

Bronze

Post by emilybeth » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:23 pm

PS - Rotor - where did you get that shirt in your picture? I've seen so many people wearing them and I want one!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:50 pm

emilybeth wrote:PS - Rotor - where did you get that shirt in your picture? I've seen so many people wearing them and I want one!
They were ASD freebies. Don't know what they might have done with the extras though...might be worth asking around.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:52 pm

I went to one of the journal events, had a few beers, and by the time 9 PM rolled around was ready to fall asleep. Oh well, maybe next week.

Free beer at 5 PM > Not free beer at 9 PM? :D

Besides much needed, how was it?

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:29 pm

I think I saw you there and never circulated to your side of the table. I liked the people there a lot, but that can basically be said for everyone I've met at Berkeley so far. Maybe I'll see you at the info session this week!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lowndes

New

Post by Lowndes » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:41 pm

I should know this by now but do we need a receipt to return books to the bookstore? I dropped a class and my wife tossed the receipt.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:43 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I just have to say that, although I am not participating, I love OCI. Actually, the fact I am not participating makes me enjoy it more. I get to observe men in suits all day. This is fabulous.
Hee.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:09 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I just have to say that, although I am not participating, I love OCI. Actually, the fact I am not participating makes me enjoy it more. I get to observe men in suits all day. This is fabulous.
This is like hilarious, sort of. *Sigh* Yeah, we have to wear suits every single day. Sometimes it is just for one interview, but it feels kind of good to walk around campus in a suit (I feel like a lawyer), though it is really hot.

You know, I would love OCI too if I wasn't doing it =P. It is definitely massively tiring, even though I really enjoy talking to attorneys. Firms send like the nicest people and if it was not for all the pressure and the economy dangling a sword over our heads, it really is fun and enjoyable.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:44 pm

Arrow wrote:it feels kind of good to walk around campus in a suit (I feel like a lawyer)
I don't know how you can experience any satisfaction when you wear your lawyer suit considering that everyone outside of the law school thinks you are a douchey undergrad business major, and everyone inside the law school (except the self-deceiving 1Ls) feels nothing but pity for everyone dressed up to participate in OCI.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”