Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Lawlcat

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Lawlcat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:36 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:EBB!

Anyone know how Miller tends to split the MC/essay weighting?

apparently he does it on the fly. I don't REALLY understand it but what he says is that he grades both sections and looks at the curve and figures out what should be worth more. In other words he's more interested in the spread more than anything else.

In any case last year it was about 50/50
Okay, thanks.

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:40 am

When do profs usually start posting grades? Do they all wait until the deadline? Starting to get nervous. :(

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:33 am

No, they don't usually wait. Some semesters I've gotten all but one before the grading deadline (note that grades still get posted after the grading deadline... I think the person posting them gets backed up).

That said, I don't know anyone who has gotten a single grade yet, and I'm a little surprised. Not really surprised there are no 1L grades up (big curved classes), but surprised there aren't some from smaller classes up. 1L year I definitely didn't get my first fall grade until after classes had started back up. But I think 2 of the other sections got a grade before we did.

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:05 am

Alexandria wrote:No, they don't usually wait. Some semesters I've gotten all but one before the grading deadline (note that grades still get posted after the grading deadline... I think the person posting them gets backed up).

That said, I don't know anyone who has gotten a single grade yet, and I'm a little surprised. Not really surprised there are no 1L grades up (big curved classes), but surprised there aren't some from smaller classes up. 1L year I definitely didn't get my first fall grade until after classes had started back up. But I think 2 of the other sections got a grade before we did.
Do grades post up under unofficial transcript on wolverine access after they are turned in?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:16 am

They do post there, but the unofficial transcript page takes a little longer to load than simply going to View My Grades under Enrollment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:36 am

Registrar has started posting grades, but don't know if any 1L grades are up yet. I've gotten one back, and I know someone who has gotten one for a different class.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:50 am

OK, apparently at least one grade is up for one section... probably more.

comedownnine

New

Post by comedownnine » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:09 am

I got through all of pre-l without creating a tls account, and now, I give up.

Any supplement recommendations, outlines, or other advice for:

Primus for Con Law
Croley for Civ Pro
Frier for Contracts

Feel free to pm if you prefer.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 am

Alexandria wrote:OK, apparently at least one grade is up for one section... probably more.
You mean a 1L section? Cuz that would be great to hear.

Also, does anyone know if Krier normally waits til the deadline? He gave us a test that was 80% MC and we filled out a Scantron, so there were only 2 short answers per student to actually grade. I have high hopes for that grade rolling in early.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 am

comedownnine wrote:I got through all of pre-l without creating a tls account, and now, I give up.

Any supplement recommendations, outlines, or other advice for:

Primus for Con Law
Croley for Civ Pro
Frier for Contracts

Feel free to pm if you prefer.
I had Primus and Croley. Croley-- just the standard stuff... I used Crunchtime and E&E. Primus-- I usually love supplements, but I used them less in his class than in any other. The rumor is that he doesn't like Chemerinsky, so some people avoided it because of that. I read sections of it, myself, as review while studying for finals. That was it... I didn't find any Gilbert's or anything useful. It's a very clearly organized and well-thought out course, and he's a fantastic teacher.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 am

Aeroplane wrote:
Alexandria wrote:OK, apparently at least one grade is up for one section... probably more.

Also, does anyone know if Krier normally waits til the deadline? He gave us a test that was 80% MC and we filled out a Scantron, so there were only 2 short answers per student to actually grade. I have high hopes for that grade rolling in early.
Yeah. I think one fall section has crim back, and the summer starters have at least con law back.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 am

Alexandria wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:

Yeah. I think one fall section has crim back, and the summer starters have at least con law back.
Cool. I've been checking obsessively for a couple weeks (I even made my sister check once/hour while I was driving to school yesterday) but this gives me actual hope.

ryan1234

New

Post by ryan1234 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:49 pm

hey - sorry to intrude on your thread, but I'm a 1L at University of Chicago and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to send me some past exams from the University of Michigan library's website. One of my profs taught there a while ago and it would be great to have some old exams (they aren't up on our site for whatever reason). Anyway, there are two exams located here: http://lexcalibur.lib.law.umich.edu/sea ... +omri&3,,5

Please pm me if you'd be willing to look these up for me! Thank you so much!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Justice

New

Post by Justice » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:31 am

Want an exam from your visiting professor? Ask your professor.

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:50 am

when will they finally put up grades??? I have prospective employers nagging me about them...

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:51 am

vyelps wrote:when will they finally put up grades??? I have prospective employers nagging me about them...
Some sections are all/mostly up. All of EFGH went up on friday. Good luck!

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:54 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
vyelps wrote:when will they finally put up grades??? I have prospective employers nagging me about them...
Some sections are all/mostly up. All of EFGH went up on friday. Good luck!
Thanks! its frustrating. The anxiety of waiting for grades is slowly changing to general frustration for most of the 1Ls I know. I have friends at other law schools who have had grades out for a week or so and have already gotten interviews or offers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Does anyone know if there is any sort of resource to kind of give an idea of where in the class rank you've landed? I know the school doesn't rank until after graduation, but is there anyway to tell whereabouts in the class a certain GPA may land a person? Whether that's bottom 1/3, top 1/4, or anywhere besides the projected median?

For the sake of estimations, perhaps GPA guesses for 25th and 75th percentiles? Not trying to put any real grades on here, but trying to figure out in what vicinity I may be sitting based on those two numbers. Thanks!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Does anyone know if there is any sort of resource to kind of give an idea of where in the class rank you've landed? I know the school doesn't rank until after graduation, but is there anyway to tell whereabouts in the class a certain GPA may land a person? Whether that's bottom 1/3, top 1/4, or anywhere besides the projected median?

For the sake of estimations, perhaps GPA guesses for 25th and 75th percentiles? Not trying to put any real grades on here, but trying to figure out in what vicinity I may be sitting based on those two numbers. Thanks!

I just asked career services during OCI. I'm sure you can do that now.

top 25 percentile is around a 3.5 or so. dunno about bottom 25.

charliec9

New

Post by charliec9 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:29 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Does anyone know if there is any sort of resource to kind of give an idea of where in the class rank you've landed? I know the school doesn't rank until after graduation, but is there anyway to tell whereabouts in the class a certain GPA may land a person? Whether that's bottom 1/3, top 1/4, or anywhere besides the projected median?

There's an estimated ranking distribution, based on comprehensive data for something like the last ten years, on the clerkship website. It's not even close to exact for the actual per-year ranking, but it'll give you some basis for comparison.

In other news, I'm still waiting on 2. Come on, Michigan, you can do it!

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:58 am

charliec9 wrote:

There's an estimated ranking distribution, based on comprehensive data for something like the last ten years, on the clerkship website. It's not even close to exact for the actual per-year ranking, but it'll give you some basis for comparison.
Link?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Keep in mind, though, that the clerkship data is rank at graduation. And GPAs rise between 1L and 3L. So if that memo tells you your GPA would be X percent at graduation, as a 1L it's probably quite a bit higher than that.

Guy who asked for a link... it's in the clerkships information on the Career Services site. You have to log in to get it.

VincentChase

New

Post by VincentChase » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Go State wrote:
charliec9 wrote:

Link?
--LinkRemoved--

It's under "Class ranking letter" and it's a PDF.

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:27 pm

VincentChase wrote:
Go State wrote:
charliec9 wrote:

Link?
--LinkRemoved--

It's under "Class ranking letter" and it's a PDF.
Thanks.

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 am

anyone have pritchard for civ pro? if so, can you provide advice?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”