GULC '12 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Mark71121

Bronze

Re: GULC '12

Post by Mark71121 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:13 am

lrw is a year long, 4 credit, graded course.

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:22 am

yesofcourse wrote:
npe wrote:Does anyone know if our LRW is graded? Maybe I'm just totally inept, but I haven't been able to find out anywhere.
I am pretty sure it's pass/fail, but don't hold me to it.
There seem to be some rumors going around that LRW has undergone some radical transformation in the last year or so and is now pass/fail. I haven't seen anything on the website backing this up, but it would certainly be enjoyable news.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:59 am

Jadcia wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:
npe wrote:Does anyone know if our LRW is graded? Maybe I'm just totally inept, but I haven't been able to find out anywhere.
I am pretty sure it's pass/fail, but don't hold me to it.
There seem to be some rumors going around that LRW has undergone some radical transformation in the last year or so and is now pass/fail. I haven't seen anything on the website backing this up, but it would certainly be enjoyable news.
well its probably not pass/fail then. I really don't know why i thought this, hence my request to not hold me to it.

lavachefolle

New

Post by lavachefolle » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Roo wrote:FYI - the ConLaw book we're supposed to buy is new (sixth edition - 2009) so there are no used ones available. At the Georgetown bookstore its $159. It's available from Barristerbooks.com for $155, and if you order by tomorrow you can use the coupon code FB4257 to get another 5 percent off. So you save yourself about 10 bucks + free shipping. Not much but I thought I'd share anyway...

--LinkRemoved--
thanks for the tip!

Quick question also re: books. I have a pretty good idea of who I'd like to take torts with, and would prefer to get book purchasing over with early. The different profs have all selected different books, and registration will likely lock up some courses quickly. In this case, it's probably a better idea to hold off. Unless, of course, people usually have no problem getting into particular courses. What do you guys think?

edit: btw, section 2, USC grad '08. Glad to see that the TLSers going into GULC seem to be a cool group. Anyone here in the GLS program?

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:02 pm

lavachefolle wrote:
Roo wrote:FYI - the ConLaw book we're supposed to buy is new (sixth edition - 2009) so there are no used ones available. At the Georgetown bookstore its $159. It's available from Barristerbooks.com for $155, and if you order by tomorrow you can use the coupon code FB4257 to get another 5 percent off. So you save yourself about 10 bucks + free shipping. Not much but I thought I'd share anyway...

--LinkRemoved--
thanks for the tip!

Quick question also re: books. I have a pretty good idea of who I'd like to take torts with, and would prefer to get book purchasing over with early. The different profs have all selected different books, and registration will likely lock up some courses quickly. In this case, it's probably a better idea to hold off. Unless, of course, people usually have no problem getting into particular courses. What do you guys think?

edit: btw, section 2, USC grad '08. Glad to see that the TLSers going into GULC seem to be a cool group. Anyone here in the GLS program?
u dont get to register

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavachefolle

New

Post by lavachefolle » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:16 pm

so the sub-sections are automatically assigned then? weak... :|

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:19 pm

lavachefolle wrote:so the sub-sections are automatically assigned then? weak... :|

yeah. the only 1st year class you can register for is your spring semester elective.

LawDog3

New

Post by LawDog3 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:19 pm

Everett Bellamy rocks!

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:56 pm

LawDog3 wrote:
Everett Bellamy rocks!
buh?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavachefolle

New

Post by lavachefolle » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Mark71121 wrote:
lavachefolle wrote:so the sub-sections are automatically assigned then? weak... :|

yeah. the only 1st year class you can register for is your spring semester elective.
Probably should've read the admitted student site more carefully. Thanks for the info

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:21 am

Reminder that you can now sign up for the optional service projects and faculty tours on the Admitted Students' site. I signed up for the DC Central Kitchen and the Civil War site walking tour. Anyone else pick anything interesting?

And did anyone get an email today about student ambassadors? Just trying to figure out whether it was a general email or a response to something I asked about.

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:26 am

gilchristh wrote:Reminder that you can now sign up for the optional service projects and faculty tours on the Admitted Students' site. I signed up for the DC Central Kitchen and the Civil War site walking tour. Anyone else pick anything interesting?

And did anyone get an email today about student ambassadors? Just trying to figure out whether it was a general email or a response to something I asked about.
I think it's a general email sent out to all incoming students. I mean I did this kind of stuff during undergrad, but I would think to get the amount of student involved that they need to blanket the whole class. I do love that stuff though.

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:21 am

Is the student ambassador thing paid? I would do it if it is FWS. Has anyone heard about anything regarding FWS? I'm hoping to get some sort of job where I can work ten hours, but hopefully spend at least three of them reading. Realistic?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:23 am

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:Is the student ambassador thing paid? I would do it if it is FWS. Has anyone heard about anything regarding FWS? I'm hoping to get some sort of job where I can work ten hours, but hopefully spend at least three of them reading. Realistic?
Student Ambassador stuff is unpaid. Work study was part of the scholarship package I got at another school and several students who had the same deal said they were able to do this. With that said, I doubt that Georgetown's work study is going to be so passive. I wouldn't count on it, but that's a complete and total guess.

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:29 am

Yeah you're probably right. I was really hoping for one of those jobs where you just sit there and check ID's as people walk in and out. A few of my friends had jobs like that last year in UG and were able to gets tons of work done while they were there.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:08 am

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:Is the student ambassador thing paid? I would do it if it is FWS. Has anyone heard about anything regarding FWS? I'm hoping to get some sort of job where I can work ten hours, but hopefully spend at least three of them reading. Realistic?
get a work-study job at the library

SubmarineChaser

New

Post by SubmarineChaser » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:22 pm

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:Yeah you're probably right. I was really hoping for one of those jobs where you just sit there and check ID's as people walk in and out. A few of my friends had jobs like that last year in UG and were able to gets tons of work done while they were there.
This is why undergrad work study pays like $8 an hour and law school work study pays about $16.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Roo

New

Post by Roo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:10 pm

Does anyone know when we find out our subsection assignments?

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Roo wrote:
Does anyone know when we find out our subsection assignments?
During the initial 'registration' session at orientation.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Is anyone else ringing up like over $500 in estimated book expenses, or am I just doing it wrong?

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 am

That's what my loans accounted for in book expenses so it would seem right. How do we know what books we need for our subsection classes?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 am

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:That's what my loans accounted for in book expenses so it would seem right. How do we know what books we need for our subsection classes?

u should be able to figure out who ur small section prof is, no? anyway, if you can log on courseware, your prof may have left a copy of the syllabus which would would include the required text.

otherwise, just drop in the bookstore and they will the books separated by course/prof for u

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:13 am

Mark71121 wrote:
Brucewaynegretzky wrote:That's what my loans accounted for in book expenses so it would seem right. How do we know what books we need for our subsection classes?

u should be able to figure out who ur small section prof is, no? anyway, if you can log on courseware, your prof may have left a copy of the syllabus which would would include the required text.

otherwise, just drop in the bookstore and they will the books separated by course/prof for u
We don't get our small section assignments until registration during Orientation. I was going to try to knock the books off the to-do list now, but I think I'm just going to wait. Have you ever had a problem getting books? Like them not being in stock? And do you know if refunds actually get disbursed 10 days or so before classes start, or do refunds only become available on the first day of classes?

Thanks for your insight, by the way--you've consistently been helpful, and it is appreciated.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:26 am

gilchristh wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:

We don't get our small section assignments until registration during Orientation. I was going to try to knock the books off the to-do list now, but I think I'm just going to wait. Have you ever had a problem getting books? Like them not being in stock? And do you know if refunds actually get disbursed 10 days or so before classes start, or do refunds only become available on the first day of classes?

Thanks for your insight, by the way--you've consistently been helpful, and it is appreciated.
no prob

you shouldn't have a problem getting the books you need. i don't know this for sure, but common sense would say that the school orders enough books for each student. so unless a super-gunner buys 3 of the same book, you should be fine. besides, plenty of ppl get their books used or off amazon.com or whatever. the bookstore also sells supplements. those can and do sell out, although usually not until you're approaching finals. again, not something that can't be remedied with a quick visit to amazon.

the school SHOULD disburse the loans on the first day of classes. i actually don't know for sure because last year the school's preferred lender, T.H.E., ran out of money and wasn't able to give anyone anything. so the school stepped it up and gave everyone $5,000 temporary loan until T.H.E. got their act together. if everything goes as planned, you should get your money on the day of classes.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:30 am

Mark71121 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:

no prob

you shouldn't have a problem getting the books you need. i don't know this for sure, but common sense would say that the school orders enough books for each student. so unless a super-gunner buys 3 of the same book, you should be fine. besides, plenty of ppl get their books used or off amazon.com or whatever. the bookstore also sells supplements. those can and do sell out, although usually not until you're approaching finals. again, not something that can't be remedied with a quick visit to amazon.

the school SHOULD disburse the loans on the first day of classes. i actually don't know for sure because last year the school's preferred lender, T.H.E., ran out of money and wasn't able to give anyone anything. so the school stepped it up and gave everyone $5,000 temporary loan until T.H.E. got their act together. if everything goes as planned, you should get your money on the day of classes.
Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”