Is Barbri's "Paced Program" enough? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
SpiteFence

Bronze

Is Barbri's "Paced Program" enough?

Post by SpiteFence » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:23 am

For those taking Barbri, are you just doing what the "Paced Program" tells you to do each day, or are you going over and above that? I've been keeping up with that, but at times it feels like I am not doing enough (I usually start at 9am and I rarely finish after 5pm).

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Re: Is Barbri's "Paced Program" enough?

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:32 am

You should probably ask this in the forum for law students or the employment forum, breh.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:55 am

IMO, the paced program is more than enough. Do you know how many stupid people will be taking the bar exam?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 am

Way more than enough... you won't get through everything they tell you to. But if you're weak in something, spend more time there and less time on topics that seem to come naturally.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:13 am

Flashcards: credited or waste of time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:52 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Flashcards: credited or waste of time?
The only worthwhile study device, IMHO.. Notes, outlines, books, etc. all go in the trash once I write something on a flashcard.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:01 am

Trying to study for the NY Bar using BarBri. I just can't learn from videos. I absorb nothing. I need to work with text. Given that, can I just do the outlines? Or do the videos contain important information? And which outlines--I'm so confused between all of this AMP, MST, etc, acronym soup.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 am

Renzo wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Flashcards: credited or waste of time?
The only worthwhile study device, IMHO.. Notes, outlines, books, etc. all go in the trash once I write something on a flashcard.
If you have the patience to make them, useful. There was way too much info for me to spend time making a billion flashcards so I never made it past the first day. There are some online programs where you can probably cut and paste things from your outline to make the creation of flashcards faster. I focused on outlines and making them shorter and shorter as I studied.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 am

rayiner wrote:Trying to study for the NY Bar using BarBri. I just can't learn from videos. I absorb nothing. I need to work with text. Given that, can I just do the outlines? Or do the videos contain important information? And which outlines--I'm so confused between all of this AMP, MST, etc, acronym soup.
This PRE video is terrible.

Here's my approach:
1. watch video and make outline from lecture
2. supplement outline with NY distinctions, if lecturer didn't discuss them
3. make flashcards on outline (I use Quizlet, which has an iPhone app)
4. do practice MPQ1 questions
5. ?????
6. Profit

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:12 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
rayiner wrote:Trying to study for the NY Bar using BarBri. I just can't learn from videos. I absorb nothing. I need to work with text. Given that, can I just do the outlines? Or do the videos contain important information? And which outlines--I'm so confused between all of this AMP, MST, etc, acronym soup.
This PRE video is terrible.
This. i don't see how I'm going to shorten down these notes. It's just rule after rule.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 am

While I used Kaplan last year, I suspect my method wouldn't have changed one bit with BarBri. The videos are designed to tell you the most important stuff. I think focusing just on outlines will cause you to try to learn too much. I had a few friends fail because they got lost in the details.

Kaplan has outlines that you fill in with the videos. I watched the videos, but typed the outlines into something I understood (reflecting the big picture) as I went along. The videos took me about 50% longer to get through as a result (pausing, rewinding). I then filled in some gaps later when something came up in an MBE question that I did not know. (I just did practice MBE questions and never practiced an essay.) The last two weeks I just read my outlines, doing 2 or 3 per day depending on length. The last week I went through practice essay questions in my head, sometimes jotting down a few words. I think it helped me a ton to have just the outlines the last few weeks in a manageable form. The outlines Kaplan provided were just too damn long to make meaningful use out of at the end.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”