Please, Some Quick Advice on Cost of Books Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jmtanoury

New

Please, Some Quick Advice on Cost of Books

Post by jmtanoury » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Hello fellow TLSers,

I'll try to keep this brief. I am a future 1L and am currently deciding how much in loans I am going to take out. Obviously I am trying my best to take out as little as possible and my simple question is....

How much do you guys pay on books and general materials for class???? On average what do you guys think you fork out for a semester or year's worth of material. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Hannibal

Gold

Re: Please, Some Quick Advice on Cost of Books

Post by Hannibal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:08 pm

jmtanoury wrote:Hello fellow TLSers,

I'll try to keep this brief. I am a future 1L and am currently deciding how much in loans I am going to take out. Obviously I am trying my best to take out as little as possible and my simple question is....

How much do you guys pay on books and general materials for class???? On average what do you guys think you fork out for a semester or year's worth of material. Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Not what you asked, but IMO the best option is to take the max amount for books and give back what you don't use.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:12 pm

dude there is quite a big range. if u buying used casebooks only, maybe $200 minimum (4 "acceptable" casebooks from amazon.com at $50/ea). on the other hand, casebooks in new condition could be as much as $150/ea. so for 4 courses, $600 + supplements could set u over $1000.

beckamarie88

New

Post by beckamarie88 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:33 pm

I usually take out the full amount of loans, just to be safe, then pay back any excess. I usually budget around $2000 for books each year. But I usually buy books off of half.com in better condition. That also leaves me left over money for supplements, highlighters, binders, a planner, etc. This is usually too much, but it is better to overestimate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”