168 LSAT... SHITTY 1L & 2L grades Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Verity

Silver

Re: 168 LSAT... SHITTY 1L & 2L grades

Post by Verity » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:00 pm

OP needs to grow the F up, because regardless of whether or not he becomes a lawyer, he won't succeed at anything with that kind of attitude and work ethic.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:12 pm

I think this partly depends on how many times he took the LSAT, too. If OP took it more than once, and had a huge upswing, maybe the 168 is a fluke. If it takes you 3 times to get a 168, it shouldn't be that surprising.

That said, law school is predominantly about hard work. It isn't like doing well in EECS at a top school, where you have to have a certain knack for the material. Most material in LS is easy to understand for everyone. There's just a lot of material, and you have work hard to know it well enough for exams.

wannabefree

New

Post by wannabefree » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 pm

verity wrote: OP needs to grow the F up, because regardless of whether or not he becomes a lawyer, he won't succeed at anything with that kind of attitude and work ethic.
that probably is exactly what i need to hear. honest.

cornellbeez wrote:I think this partly depends on how many times he took the LSAT, too. If OP took it more than once, and had a huge upswing, maybe the 168 is a fluke. If it takes you 3 times to get a 168, it shouldn't be that surprising.

That said, law school is predominantly about hard work. It isn't like doing well in EECS at a top school, where you have to have a certain knack for the material. Most material in LS is easy to understand for everyone. There's just a lot of material, and you have work hard to know it well enough for exams.

it was my first time to take the LSAT. i didn't take test prep classes or anything but i DID buy a stack of 10 old exams which i time practiced prior to the exam. the 168 was on the high end of my practice results so i guess i was somewhat lucky.

it's true i have never been good at hard work and i realize part of my problem is my absolute inability to pay attention during class and loss of focus during readings. however, i DONT think the material is all that easy to understand. i've struggled really hard with some of the concepts. and i'm planning to make a trip to student health to try to get on some adderall which i probably needed in college.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:20 pm

wannabefree wrote:it's true i have never been good at hard work and i realize part of my problem is my absolute inability to pay attention during class and loss of focus during readings. however, i DONT think the material is all that easy to understand. i've struggled really hard with some of the concepts. and i'm planning to make a trip to student health to try to get on some adderall which i probably needed in college.
I'm not saying the material is easy, but when you are not paying attention in class and not focusing while you read, the difficulty of the material is not the reason why you can't understand it.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Does your school have any type of tutoring service?

If you will not be happy dropping out try to get your grades together and finish strong.

(Not for rank or job prospects, but for morale.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 pm

MTal wrote:Drop out NOW. You will only incur more misery and debt by staying.
I truly hate to agree with mtal, but you're just throwing good money after bad now. 50k debt is survivable.

wannabefree

New

Post by wannabefree » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:not to mention, the tenor of this original post is a bit ridiculous. OP sounds like he thinks he's entitled to top 10% of his class composed of people not as smart as him, yet he hates studying so has bad grades and now he's like, what gives? if this wasn't implicit in the OP, then why is the beginning of the thread title "168 LSAT"?
He sounds entitled? Really? Sounds like he's pretty defeated to me. And I'm no psychologist, but OP sounds like he's dealing with issues stemming from more than just law school, issues that I happen to know quite a bit about. I don't like the way you came at him, and I don't like the way you're assuming you know where he's coming from. But I'm over it. I don't want to hijack OP's thread.
thanks for sticking up for me U.S. but you're both right. i don't mind being called out on for having an "entitled" attitude or a shitty work ethic. i DONT think now (and haven't thought since the first day i got to law school and was impressed/intimidated by how articulate, intelligent, and well-prepared all my classmates were) that i'm "entitled" to good grades, but i CERTAINLY wasn't expecting to do so fucking bad. i probably did come into LS with a bit of an elitist attitude. it quickly disappeared. i didn't throw in my 168 to show off, i just wanted to explain where i am coming from.

the reason i chose my LS over the T30 ones was because 1) (w/o giving away too many details) this school ranked among the top schools in the nation in an area of law i thought i might be interested in (but am not very interested in anymore); 2) i loved the location of this LS; 3) the fact that many students from this school ended up going into PI; and 4) it would have cost considerably less than the T30 schools if my GPA was not so shitty (and yes i was naive about just how taxing LS was going to be).

yes, i do feel deflated and defeated. i'm curious as to what "issues" U.S. suspects i'm dealing with... (you name it i've prob got it?)

thanks to everyone who commented. i have thought about japan. actually i'm part japanese and i have family and friends there and would love to live there but i think that my asian heritage is part of my dilemma. i grew up with very strong feelings about shame and obligation. to be honest, i can only admit everything here online where i'm annonymous because i am terribly ashamed about everything in real life and i feel an obligation to my parents to succeed... or since that's impossible now, at least to finish school. of course i know if my parents knew all this they might want me to quit school but then i would inevitably feel ashamed for quitting on top of feeling like a "quitter." being an only child, i want to "make good." i realize shame and obligation and lack of self esteem are never good motivating factors, but i feel they've got me in a catch 22. i avoid the dean who gave me my merit scholarship like the plague because i am sooo fucking ashamed... embarrassed... guilty. like that money should have gone to someone else. i need to get over this "shame" thing and yes i need to grow the fuck up but i am ashamed to talk to career services as well.

i want to be happy, make my parents proud, and support myself with a respectable job where i feel i'm making a meaningful difference in other peoples lives. i thought law school would help me accomplish those things and a career in public interest law seemed like a good idea two years ago... back when i thought i could do it and didn't feel like a useless idiot.

btw, it really doesn't matter much but i'm a she.

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:53 pm

I want to help you as best I can. I think that you need some perspective. If you can't talk to people who know you, you need to find a counselor. Maybe when you go to the health services to ask about the medicine you could ask about counseling as well.

The thing is, I wish you could find the courage to admit the truth to the dean who gave you your scholarship. I know it isn't easy, but you have to start somewhere. I think you will find that people are concerned for your welfare and well-being and don't look at you as a useless idiot. (making mistakes and getting bad grades in law school is just being human.) I think once you see that people don't look at you as a useless idiot you will feel better. [And the reality is that the Dean may get reports about these scholarships so s/he probably knows the situation.]

I wish I knew your parents. Parents are hard to predict. I know my Mom has never been supportive of me so I would not go to her for help. But, I like to think that your parents will realize how upset you are about this and that they would help you figure out what is best to do. Maybe a total change of scenery and working teaching in Japan is the best thing to do; maybe staying a final year in school and taking some classes that interest you is the best thing to do. You need good advice to figure this out.

And I really wish you could please stop beating yourself up. I know that would be an almost impossible task, but this isn't as bad as it seems. This is something you can deal with and move forward from.

PS I wonder why I assumed you were a guy. No idea why! Sorry about that!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:18 pm

wannabefree wrote:
thanks to everyone who commented. i have thought about japan. actually i'm part japanese and i have family and friends there and would love to live there but i think that my asian heritage is part of my dilemma. i grew up with very strong feelings about shame and obligation. to be honest, i can only admit everything here online where i'm annonymous because i am terribly ashamed about everything in real life and i feel an obligation to my parents to succeed... or since that's impossible now, at least to finish school. of course i know if my parents knew all this they might want me to quit school but then i would inevitably feel ashamed for quitting on top of feeling like a "quitter." being an only child, i want to "make good." i realize shame and obligation and lack of self esteem are never good motivating factors, but i feel they've got me in a catch 22. i avoid the dean who gave me my merit scholarship like the plague because i am sooo fucking ashamed... embarrassed... guilty. like that money should have gone to someone else. i need to get over this "shame" thing and yes i need to grow the fuck up but i am ashamed to talk to career services as well.

i want to be happy, make my parents proud, and support myself with a respectable job where i feel i'm making a meaningful difference in other peoples lives. i thought law school would help me accomplish those things and a career in public interest law seemed like a good idea two years ago... back when i thought i could do it and didn't feel like a useless idiot.

welcome to the world of gay, except instead of your parents putting pressure on you, it's you putting pressure on yourself because you have so much repression and internalized homophobia that you think you need to do 10 times better than everyone else to counterbalance the effects of you being (or thinking you are) a twisted social outcast and sexual pervert. i really don't have any advice for you, but you're not alone with those feelings. it seems like if you just either a) pushed through law school, graduated, and got some kind of job coming out or b) dropped out and went in an entirely new direction with some other job, your life will improve, after you're out of law school and can just forget about the whole experience. i don't have advice for which to do though.

also, sorry i was being a bitch before. it's a lame self defense mechanism

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Calaw11

New

Post by Calaw11 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:57 pm

wanabefree - I want to offer you my experience as some of it relates to your circumstances, and ultimately I hope it helps you in any possible way.
Part 1 of post (sorry I'm gona write a lot so going to split into 2 posts)
I started law school in 2007 at a T4 school. My GPA was good but horrible LSAT scores. I wanted to stay relatively close to my home so choose a coolege 2 hours from home. I was an above average college student.

Like yourself, I too was a relatively shy individual. I did not have many friends. Most of my friends were Asian like myself. I went to a very diverse undergrad college so I got to see and be in classes with people from many backgrounds and cultures. I blended in perfectly well in the melting pot.

Then came law school where (no offense) 80% of the students were White. There were like 10 black kids and same number of Asians. And Asian here includes Chinse, Japanese, Korean, Indian, Pakistani, Afghan, etc!!! All those backgrounds represented with just around 10-15 kids was amazingly low.

I got to law school and immediately realized I may have been above average in college but was no better than average in law school. There were many students more dedicated and more focused than I there. A big factor in this miht have bene their age. Some of them were 24-26 which wasn't too far away from me at 22 but it made more of a difference than I realized at the time.

Why did it make a difference? Because they had real-life work experience under their belt. I came staright from undergrad not really knowing what the working world entails. No matter what job you have, working gives you a difference perspective on life.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:07 pm

wannabefree wrote:i was an english writing major. it was a joke of a degree.

i thought law school might be "fun" cause i liked reading "stories" and that maybe i'd get to analyze them in a "fun" way like the LSATs which were actually fun for me.

guess i'm kinda naive.
Funny, this is exactly what law school IS like for me, maybe you just have shitty professors.

Calaw11

New

Post by Calaw11 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:09 pm

continued...
I made just 1 really good friend (white) in law school. I just didn't blend in amongst most of the students. They all liked to party and drink (wendesday nights was the thing at this law school) and it just wasn't my thing.

I was doing ok in classes I guess but thne my gf decided to leave me. She said i should focus more on law school and also let her focus on her education. I guess I was too needy and since had very little friends always looked to her.

In any case, that shattered me. I eventually dropped out after just 1 semester. I was sooooo scared because of my parents for the same reasons you mentioned. But here is what i did:

I immediately found a full-time job back home and immediately enrolled into a part-time MBA program. The MBA was to please my parents that even though i would be a failure for not going to law school in their eyes, at least I could get a masters degree. It wasn't easy, I worked full-time and went to school at night, but MBA is relatively easier than law in my mind.

Last summer I graduated from the MBA, had found a better job. I'm now 25 turning 26 and finally "mature" enough to think about law school again. I'm thinking probably online law school that will make me eligible for California bar exam. I want to work as an in-house counsel for my current employer. I think they will even pay for it!

So bottom line is - there is a silver lining & its different for each person. You just have to do what is right for you!

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Also strongly recommend teaching abroad. Being in charge of classrooms really helped me grow up and learn about responsibility, preparedness, etc. Also, sounds like you need to get away from your parents' influence for a while and be your own person. Easier said than done. I have a friend who's been teaching in Japan for seven years and although every year he tries to come back to the states, the beauty of his life there (combined with making good money with minimal expenses) keeps him there. Dude probably will come back to the states one day and start buying rental properties (has good handyman / painting experience), one of the surefire ways to upper middle class that's still left. Just something to think about. I know another guy who taught in Asia for three years, came back with enough money to split a small sandwich shop, then parlayed the equity in that into two other businesses. If all goes well he'll sell by 40 (7 years from now) and retire. But no matter what you do, you have to work your ass off and learn what it takes to succeed. One of those things is knowing what YOU WANT, and not focusing on what you think others expect of you. So you found out law school wasn't for you. Find out what is. Period. Or you will be very unhappy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:04 pm

OP foreign service is great, and having a JD would definitely bump you up a pay scale, but State is not taking any more people from the lists/classes right now. Even if you have a a critical/super critical language skill. Even if in the time it takes you to finish your JD they start hiring again, that process takes a year to a year and a half, and you'd still have to get a good enough score to be at the top of the lists.

As for PI, for the federal government there's a hiring freeze in effect because of the budget, and in any case, it's very competitive to get. You could potentially get work as a public defender or something, which would qualify as "helping people" but...I think you might have a misconception about how and who lawyers help.

And I don't think it's a good idea to go to your parents, if they are more traditional Japanese. I get the sense that they will push you to do something that will not make you happy or be beneficial to you in the long run. This is a decision you need to make by yourself, and traditional Asian parents are not going to help. Getting a JD to please them is not going to work out in the long run unless you are going to be gainfully employed as a lawyer. And seriously, it's the rest of your life, you need to be a little bit more selfish about your decision.

I would do as others have suggested, drop out of law school, teach abroad or do something else. Even a salary of 40k doing something else makes your loans very very manageable. 50k is not that much money over 10 years.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Do what you love or cut your losses.

There is nothing more disgusting than a person who hates their work - such people only live half a life.

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:09 pm

I know a few former drill sergeants from my Army days that could assist. It nearly always works for recruits and Maury Povich Show juvenile delinquents.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:11 pm

jessedvhs wrote:I know a few former drill sergeants from my Army days that could assist. It nearly always works for recruits and Maury Povich Show juvenile delinquents.
What?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:15 pm

motivation fool

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:18 pm

You might need to explain this a little better before calling people 'fools'. It's not an obvious answer nor one that will work for everyone.

nosaj123

New

Post by nosaj123 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:19 pm

wannabe,

As an 0L, I'm not as well suited as other people on this forum to give you advice about remaining in Law School. However, I do have work experience at a variety of jobs (from sorting mail to doing research at the Federal Reserve), so I can give you some general advice that I hope will help you.

First, realize that being smart is a extremely helpful in the job market, and you are definitely smart. I feel confident saying this not only because of your impressive LSAT scores, but also because of your ability to write well (which itself is a very useful skill). While you may question how smart you are because you see your peers performing better than you, remember that you are comparing yourself to a group of extremely accomplished people. People on this forum may mock people who didn't go to T14 schools, but I promise you that when you break out of the bubble of primarily associating with highly educated people, you will realize that your intelligence is a great gift that gives you a definite advantage over most people in this world. It will help you find the right jobs, apply/interview effectively, and be successful at whatever you do.

Second, I believe that intelligence and hard-work are the two most important factors for success in life (with luck at a not-to-distant third). Right now, it seems that your work-ethic is keeping you from achieving your goals, and you seem to be aware of this. Recognizing what your opportunities for improvement are is extremely helpful, and will also give you an advantage over most other people (since most people blind themselves to their shortcomings). Luckily for you, work-ethic is something you can work at and improvement dramatically. I also used to have a poor work ethic, but have been able to improve it by giving myself clear goals, removing distractions, and creating structure in my life. It seems like you have never had large responsibilities, so gaining experience in a job (any job) that requires you to work hard and keep regular hours may help give you some structure and may provide you with opportunities to set achievable goals for yourself.

Finally, please realize that there are endless opportunities. Not all of them are prestigious and not all of them will make you rich, but I have no doubt that you can find something that will provide you with everything you need and more. Why not spend a few years giving some structure to your life and developing a set of skills that will help you be successful? In 3 years you will probably be about 26, which is still very young, and you can be in a much better position to find a new career. There are endless possibilities out there: teacher, police officer, labor, lawyer(!), programmer, copywriter/editor, advertising, sales, etc. You are smart enough that, with a stronger work ethic, I have no doubt that you can get any job you want and, if you want to, you could start out in an entry level position and work your way up through a corporation. Believe if or not, you could just begin working at Bed Bath and Beyond as a cashier, get promoted to a floor manager, then to assistant store manager, then store manager, and from their move to the regional or corporate offices; you just have to work hard and work smart. Working as a teacher can be more fulfilling and still put you in a good financial situation. In many cities, teachers start out at about $35k and eventually reach $60-70k, which will put a family with two teachers at a combined income of around $125k (twice the national median HH income), in addition to what you can earn on the side as a tutor or music instructor.

I too was smart but not too hard working, and that was enough for me to get by through my undergraduate years. As corny as it feels to say this, I've matured a lot since graduating college, and I've learned a lot about what it takes to be successful. If I had gone to law school right after college, I would almost certainly been in the same situation as you. Hopefully my advice is helpful.

Good Luck!
Nosaj

Edit: I'll add one more thing, though this may not be as directly relevant. From my involvement in sales, hiring people to corporate positions, and promotions, I can't tell you just how important it is to have energy, show enthusiasm, and to connect with people (these are usually skills someone is born with, but anybody can still improve them). I would never have recommended that we hire somebody who wasn't enthusiastic about the job and who didn't appear to be somebody I would want to work with. People are much more comfortable working with/buying from people they like and trust. Bosses usually have many qualified employees to choose from when it is time for a promotion, and they less likely to choose the person who rubs them (and their bosses) the wrong way. ...You are already smart enough, so if you can work hard, work smart, show enthusiasm, and connect with people then there are (almost) no opportunities out of your reach.
Last edited by nosaj123 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:21 pm

wannabefree wrote:i'm a B/C student with one D grade. i attend a second tier school where a B is a 3.0.... so yeah, my grades are totally shitty. i'm frustrated because my LSAT scores were significantly higher than the average of those who got in to my school... not to mention i came in on a $24K scholarship which i lost thanks to shitty GPA. LSATs are a shitty indicator of law school success!

i was accepted to 2 top 30 schools and i turned them down for idealistic reasons. my current school is ranked a lot lower than the schools i turned down and i'm ending up taking up as many loan $$$ out as i would have at the higher ranked schools i turned down. i have not told my classmates about my 96percentile LSAT score or my scholarship or my subsequent shitty law school grades (i'm probably in the bottom 15%). initially i didn't want to show off. now i am simply ashamed. non-law school friends keep saying, "at least you're in law school... you'll be fine"... they don't understand.

last year i was at a fork between staying and leaving. i chose to stick with law school... and i feel like it's too late to drop out now as i'm nearly halfway through the second semester of my second year. but i still (mostly) hate it and suck at law school.

i'm still shy. i still procrastinate. i'm still single (not that i expected that to change)! i'm still lazy. i still feel like a child. i'm still late for class a lot... i haven't grown up.

i am baffled by those who find the willpower to focus on schoolwork. some are even eager to study! for me, every case is a struggle to get through. i'm an INFP and i don't know if that affects anything and i should be doing my paper right now that's gonna be late but i wanted to rant and/or get some sympathy/advice so i got back on TLS for the first time since i got into law school.

i miss the hopeful, bright-eyed, eager-beaver idealist i was two years ago. i just wanted a respectable degree i could support myself with and use to "help people."

my 1L year mentor told me she didn't think i was cut for law school and told me to drop out. we never met after that. i kinda felt like "fuck you, i'm gonna show you." but now i feel i've lost the resolve. okay, she didn't actually tell me to drop out she just very very very strongly hinted at it and said explicitly i didn't seem like a law-school type. and when i told her i wanted to do public interest law she told me that wouldn't work unless i was independently wealthy... i don't think she has a clue how little i can live on. i don't care if i'm poor. i just want to be happy. i don't know what will make me happy but dropping out of law school will definitely disappoint my family and that WONT make me happy. plus i don't want to be a quitter... i just... i guess it's kinda silly. i just wish law school was fun.

I know a few former drill sergeants from my Army days that could assist. It nearly always works for recruits and Maury Povich Show juvenile delinquents.

How's that? Sorry to hurt your feelings. I don't think you are a fool.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:23 pm

+1 to Nosaj. Well said. It's a good reminder that many careers lead to decent earnings and good quality of life. Not everyone needs to be making 100k+ to be happy. Some of my happiest friends are families with kids living off 50-100 k per year, and my family grew up happy with much less. Obviously, this works better in the midwest than in NYC/DC, and it presupposes that your family will respect you nonetheless, as that is an important component of happiness. But if everyone were a lawyer/doctor/ph.d., we wouldn't be much of a country.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:27 pm

@jessedvhs

It's not like some random poster could 'hurt my feelings'. I'd like to think that at 32 (or at any age) that that wouldn't be the case. I just didn't see the need for it. And I don't completely disagree with you that hard-core training/expectations could be very motivating, and there was a time in my life where I strongly considered it. My grandfather was in the army for over 20 years, retired a major, and he's been a big role model throughout my life. Anyway, thanks for your service and suggestion to the OP.

alexb

Bronze

Post by alexb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Work harder, get better 3L grades. If you don't like doing something, change your attitude.

Calaw11

New

Post by Calaw11 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:24 pm

wanabefree,
I will add a little to my earlier suggestion: Don't drop out! I dropped out and to this day I look back and say man if only..I see others from my 1L now graduated, have passed state bar exams, and are practicing law. Whether they are happy or not, rich or in debt, is another story. You are half way finished and you got this far it seems just strolling along. 1L is the hardest so you have made it thru that!

Law is a wacky degree because you can't really prepare for it in undergrad. So you don't know if you like it or not until you get there. I think you like it ok but are just upset that you are not doing too well. But that's bc you're not fully applying yourself. You may not be a genious, but you dont have to be; just be yourself and learn to believe in yourself. You're lucky, most ppl struggle just to pass classes and you're passing by not working hard.

Even if you just stroll your way to graduation, get your JD. This degree will be with you for your life, use it to your advantage. You don't have to practice law if you don't want too, but the option will always be there plus some other very neat jobs (perhaps in regulatory affairs, etc). You are very young, take even 2-3 years after graduation when you are an even more beautiul mature woman and then see where life takes you. Graduate, then take some time to figure out what you really want to do in life.

I am also asian like yourself and I know the struggles we face. We are torn between our roots in the East and the lifestlye of the West, between our parents traditional ways and the liberalism in the West. You are your parents blood. If they were sucessful so can you. Heck, if anyone can do somtehing in this world, you should think I can too. And then if you want too, go for it. You live once, got nothing to loose.

Lastly, I would say turn to religion. I turned to Islam and it brought peace to my mind and heart.

Smile :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”