Bad GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Diamond

Re: Bad GPA

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:18 pm

mpasi wrote:^Extra time isn't that great of an option at this point, as I'm 25 and really, really sick of undergrad, and also out of eligibility for aid. The China trip isn't for leisure, I'll be taking two courses there, and possibly a stats class online from a comm college here in the States. I'm basically done with undergrad, aside from taking Algebra next semester and an elective to raise my major GPA at my university. The courses I'm taking in addition to those are related to the aforementioned grad program I'm interested in (I have a "in" with the program at my university), and I'm taking those at a local comm college. My problem is that I got serious about my future a little too late, and now have to mire through the mess I made in years past. It sucks.
Someone said you were a URM if you are disregard the following advice.

If you aren't a URM, then I'd apply to Georgetown and Cornell as super reaches. Then I'd apply to as many schools from WUSTL to the end of the T1, as you can. Make sure to include Illinois and Indiana, because they love splitters. Indiana will almost without a doubt take you with a 166+.

But you'll have to work your ass off. You'll need to be top of the class to get good job placement out of those schools.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mpasi wrote:^Extra time isn't that great of an option at this point, as I'm 25 and really, really sick of undergrad, and also out of eligibility for aid. The China trip isn't for leisure, I'll be taking two courses there, and possibly a stats class online from a comm college here in the States. I'm basically done with undergrad, aside from taking Algebra next semester and an elective to raise my major GPA at my university. The courses I'm taking in addition to those are related to the aforementioned grad program I'm interested in (I have a "in" with the program at my university), and I'm taking those at a local comm college. My problem is that I got serious about my future a little too late, and now have to mire through the mess I made in years past. It sucks.

If you aren't a URM, then I'd apply to Georgetown and Cornell as super reaches. Then I'd apply to as many schools from WUSTL to the end of the T1, as you can. Make sure to include Illinois and Indiana, because they love splitters. Indiana will almost without a doubt take you with a 166+.

But you'll have to work your ass off. You'll need to be top of the class to get good job placement out of those schools.

No, I am a URM. My avatar doesn't lie, lol.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:03 pm

mpasi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

If you are URM and can break 170, you are golden. Get that GPA up to at least 2.5. Even better if you can pull a 2.8. Load up on classes. Basket weaving, whatever. You will have a very solid shot at some great schools. Now go study....

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:10 pm

jks289 wrote:
mpasi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

If you are URM and can break 170, you are golden. Get that GPA up to at least 2.5. Even better if you can pull a 2.8. Load up on classes. Basket weaving, whatever. You will have a very solid shot at some great schools. Now go study....
Before I get off here and go study, can you tell me what schools I'm golden for? I really can't see that, but you definitely know more about it than I do.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:12 pm

My point is not that literally most of the world speaks English, but that much of the biglaw work that might reasonably be considered international or transnational takes place with foreign attorneys who are fluent. The opportunities for travel (where fluency becomes relevant) are limited outside of business and government.

Obviously there are foreign offices for law firms and speaking the local language would be helpful. But this is not typical and certainly is not up for the asking. The vast majority of JDs will only practice in the US, even if they are involved in transnational deals.

And I acknowledged that lots of immigrants don't speak English. I don't think all those Spanish-only immigrants are going to come to you for help with their transnational securities law needs. If you want to help them file landlord grievances or criminal defense, then speaking Spanish would be helpful.

You guys are defensive as hell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eddieb317

New

Post by Eddieb317 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:29 pm

NayBoer wrote: A 165 should get you IUB.
Not with a GPA @ 2.5... Their standards are up this year. It would be more like a 165 with a 3.0 and then you might have a chance.

Though if you can pull that GPA up IU has a lot to offer someone with your international interests.

IUB has also just created a very interesting JD/MBA program Between the IU Maurer School of Law, The IU Kelley School of Business, and Sung Kyung Kwan University in Seoul Korea. It is a three year JD/MBA with the MBA portion happening in Seoul at SKK with an internship at Smasung international. IU also has a great Chinese comparative law program.

(I guess the URM could pull some extra consideration on that 2.5...)

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Eddieb317 wrote:
NayBoer wrote: A 165 should get you IUB.
Not with a GPA @ 2.5... Their standards are up this year. It would be more like a 165 with a 3.0 and then you might have a chance.

Though if you can pull that GPA up IU has a lot to offer someone with your international interests.

IUB has also just created a very interesting JD/MBA program Between the IU Maurer School of Law, The IU Kelley School of Business, and Sung Kyung Kwan University in Seoul Korea. It is a three year JD/MBA with the MBA portion happening in Seoul at SKK with an internship at Smasung international. IU also has a great Chinese comparative law program.

(I guess the URM could pull some extra consideration on that 2.5...)
Thanks. I think my best bet is just to put as much distance between myself and my UGA. It's kind of over at this point.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:51 pm

mpasi wrote: Before I get off here and go study, can you tell me what schools I'm golden for? I really can't see that, but you definitely know more about it than I do.
I think you could possibly break a T14 with a 170+. Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the school graphs.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:01 pm

At risk of beating a dead horse...I just spoke to someone at American, who told me that they do not have a cutoff GPA, and that their median GPA/LSAT is 3.39/163. If I get a 173, and with a 2.3, do I have a shot?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:18 pm

mpasi wrote:At risk of beating a dead horse...I just spoke to someone at American, who told me that they do not have a cutoff GPA, and that their median GPA/LSAT is 3.39/163. If I get a 173, and with a 2.3, do I have a shot?
If you get a 173 and are a URM, you'll get T14. If you get a 173, apply everywhere in the T14 except Yale, Stanford and Berkeley.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:20 pm

mpasi wrote:At risk of beating a dead horse...I just spoke to someone at American, who told me that they do not have a cutoff GPA, and that their median GPA/LSAT is 3.39/163. If I get a 173, and with a 2.3, do I have a shot?
I don't think any school would admit they have a cut off even though most of them do. Admissions offices aren't good sources of info on that. Look for cut offs on LSN.

Edit: also the type of URM might be of additional help. I think the general concensus on this forum is that Native Americans get the highest boost.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
I don't think any school would admit they have a cut off even though most of them do. Admissions offices aren't good sources of info on that. Look for cut offs on LSN.

Edit: also the type of URM might be of additional help. I think the general concensus on this forum is that Native Americans get the highest boost.

Somebody with a 2.3 and 164 got into the full-time program. I wonder what his softs were.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:25 pm

mpasi wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

Somebody with a 2.3 and 164 got into the full-time program. I wonder what his softs were.
You know, it's funny. I talked to a friend today who just finished his first semester at Hofstra. He was trying to assuage my concerns about applying and in the process mentioned that a friend who goes to school with him had a bad GPA and a low LSAT score and was still accepted. He was Asian, which I'm guessing doesn't help as far as diversity, since it's probably one of the groups that is overrepresented relative to the overall population. Maybe he had some unusual circumstances, but maybe not. (And of course, Hofstra is a school on the rise, but it's not Yale, and probably much easier to get into than a lot of schools.)

It's leading me to believe that while there are parts of this process that are predictable, a lot part of it isn't. Perhaps the person you are talking about just clicked with the committee, for whatever reason.

Besides, his LSAT score was above the 75th, even though it was only by a point. That's probably a big sticking point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:43 pm

I wouldn't trust anything that a school representative tells you over the phone regarding their admission requirements. 95% of the schools out there will tell you that your GPA and LSAT are only part of your overall package and that they take a very holistic approach to deciding who to choose for acceptance. However, if you look at the numbers of those who get accepted and those who get rejected, it is pretty clear that numbers count for much more than the school representatives would be willing to admit.

If you are really serious about law school, I would postpone your trip to China. Although it would be a fantastic experience, it won't help you much in getting into a good school. Spend an extra year if you can getting a second major and pad your GPA up as high as you can. If you can get your GPA up and score a 170+, you'll likely get accepted to several top 10 schools.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:48 am

Bumping an old thread...what about OU? The top 25% of applicants scored a 164 on the LSAT. I think I can score at least a 168, if not higher. I like OU (sports rivalry aside), and OU has an MA program in International Studies that could be combined with the JD. With a 2.3 and 170...good shot, y/n? LSN wasn't a big help, so I'm asking you guys. :D

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm

I think most would tell you that with 170+ and URM status, you should be aiming for the T14. The two most unpredictable types of applicants are splitters and URMs. You are both, so it is pretty much impossible for anyone to tell you where you will be accepted.

The best advice is to apply to as many good schools as you can and see what sticks. If you don't get in anywhere you want to go, getting a few years of work experience under your belt will probably help your chances.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Essentially, your GPA is more or less irrelevent. It's going to be buried below the 25 percentile anywhere you apply.

Your sole focus is getting an LSAT that's well over their 75th percentile. That way, they're just admitting the LSAT score.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:01 pm

mpasi wrote:Bumping an old thread...what about OU? The top 25% of applicants scored a 164 on the LSAT. I think I can score at least a 168, if not higher. I like OU (sports rivalry aside), and OU has an MA program in International Studies that could be combined with the JD. With a 2.3 and 170...good shot, y/n? LSN wasn't a big help, so I'm asking you guys. :D
if you get a 170 you will go somewhere a lot better than OU.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Thanks you guys. And pardon my ignorance, but what schools are in the T14?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:45 pm

mpasi wrote:Thanks you guys. And pardon my ignorance, but what schools are in the T14?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
If you get a 173 and are a URM, you'll get T14. If you get a 173, apply everywhere in the T14 except Yale, Stanford and Berkeley.
This. URM + 173 LSAT will probably = admission at Cornell, NU, or GULC, if not better schools. You won't get into Harvard or Yale IMO, and Berkeley is a waste of application $$, but you have a shot almost everywhere else.

Don't waste a 173 on SMU or OU if you get it. You can go to far, far better schools. Your safeties will be top-30 schools like WUSTL, BC, Illinois, and Notre Dame.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Is Illinois and Indiana loving splitters true for everyone or just for certain people, like URMs?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 pm

b.j. wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Is Illinois and Indiana loving splitters true for everyone or just for certain people, like URMs?
For anyone. A tlser with 3.0/170 got 30K per year at Illinoois. Sub 3.0's/170+ can get 10K-15K. Its nice.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
b.j. wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

For anyone. A tlser with 3.0/170 got 30K per year at Illinoois. Sub 3.0's/170+ can get 10K-15K. Its nice.
So it's 170, or nothing? I mean, what about a 167 or 168?

I don't mean to sound like a wealthy, arrogant prick, but at this point, I don't particularly care about the money. I just want to get into some good school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”