A year off after UG? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kurama20

Silver

Re: A year off after UG?

Post by kurama20 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 pm

fl0w wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Yeah, basically...if you can do it, its just a good life decision.
It's like a Catch 22. I think the thread should be renamed "if you can do it".
I'm probably biased, because I had more than a few offers coming out of school and I was an effing Anthropology major. Not one of those offers came through the career services department at my school.

You need to work hard to get a job...I started researching and applying on my own in November of my senior year. I think far too often a new grad sits back and uses career services or other type postings. I dunno.

i agree with this. i didn't get my job through career services. i got it because a friend of mine was talking to a managing director at a consulting firm who said "do you know any tech savvy people that can actually carry on a conversation?" my friend knew me.
introduced us, had coffee with the managing director, led to interview, was hired.

In college you think it's a bunch of Bullsh** but networking is one of the most important tools you will ever learn how to use.[/quote]

I hear this a lot on here, so I must admit it that it holds true for many college students...but who in the hell doesn't know that networking is the most important tool for getting a job ( along with interview skills)? I mean most jobs are so based on who you know and your interviewing skills that it isn't even funny. I was actually quite shocked when I first heard about the top law school model of getting a job (ie jobs actually come to you and basically get offered to you on a silver platter based on what school you go to and your grades). I thought that that was the strangest thing that I had ever heard, and I couldn't figure out how law firms/companies could afford to do that. It also seemed to me like a good way to get a lot of employees with no real social skills and no idea how to behave in the work place. I'm also shocked at the amount of people that "interview poorly" who are attending top schools (according to a mentor I have). She/he told me that many kids at these schools simply have no interview skills whatsoever and don't know how to handle themselves in a professional atmosphere. I just don't get that; I mean how do you go through your entire college career without knowing how to properly interview?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm

I would say that TOO MANY people don't know how important networking is in undergrad. Some kids just think that everything is going to "work itself out". Also, in terms of interviewing skills and professionalism... I feel like people posting here have a high standard. This is a good thing. For those of us that have professional work experience (although I should probably only speak for myself), I'm sure that you see in your place of business all the time how terribly unprofessional people are. From racial slurs, to office hookups, to unethical business practices . . . even the inability to compose a well-written email.

it surprises me every day.

wadeny

Bronze

Post by wadeny » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:19 pm

I'm currently taking a year off now as well and definitely don't regret it. I'll admit it wasn't easy at first to find a job, but I found a decent one within a couple months after graduating. So many people (from friends to family) said that I should keep going to school in this economy, but if anything, having to network/find a job without crushing debt proved invaluable - not to mention that it allowed me to put everything in a wider perspective. I would really encourage more TLSers to take a year off. It's better to test the "real world" before taking on $150K of debt, which a lot of people on here often treat too casually, if you ask me.

grouchynihilist

New

Post by grouchynihilist » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

hmm
Last edited by grouchynihilist on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:55 pm

grouchynihilist wrote:On the other end, I'm glad I'm NOT taking a year off. What can you possibly do with a year off? Travel or intern, sure, that's not for everyone though. The other option is to compete in this terrible economy for an entry level position.
You have the most bizarre opinions ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tcallahan22

New

Post by tcallahan22 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:37 am

If you take time off and get a job, you get to go to law school as an adult. Otherwise, you stay a child until you're 25! I'm sure some people can handle law school just fine straight out of undergrad, but it's hugely advantageous to take time off.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 am

I was all gung-ho about going straight from UG to law school, but I'm going to take some time off school, maybe never go to law school now. I got a job at Deloitte so I'm planning on going after my CA, and re-evaluate my options then. Going to law school in Canada (probably UBC which is a good school) + CA with experience at Deloitte = big law in Canada (probably Vancouver market) if I wanted it. We'll see though how it all plays out over the next few years.

I agree that taking some time off to re-evaluate the options before taking on 150k+ debt. Get a real world perspective.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:26 am

I took almost three years off after UG and am infinitely happy with my decision to do so. I worked as a paralegal, learned my way around the litigation process, saved a ton of money, and got to enjoy life without debt and with an income [read: vacations, shoes, men] before saddling myself with the law school workload, law school debt, and a soon to be husband. Because I saved money, I don't have to live loan check to loan check now, which is also nice.

If I could do it all over again, I might even take one more. I had a shit-ton of fun in my early twenties while I still could, I gained maturity, I gained invaluable work experience and connections, and I know what it's like to work a 16 hour day. The workload of law school doesn't seem that bad to me compared with the unpredictably long hours of paralegal work.

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm finishing up UG now, and have already decided to take a year off, despite applying for this cycle. How hard it is to get a deferral? I'm applying for some fellowships and teaching abroad jobs, do those count as legitimate excuses to get deferral requests approved?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:12 pm

taking time off after UG was the best decision I ever made... I knew I was going back to LS, but now I know why. I got to move to another state and work, meet all kinds of people I never would have, and have matured a great deal since my college days. While work might be hard to come by in this econ, I would give it a shot. If finances aren't an issue, travel. It's a good breather, and puts a lot of things into perspective.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:38 pm

grouchynihilist wrote:On the other end, I'm glad I'm NOT taking a year off. What can you possibly do with a year off? Travel or intern, sure, that's not for everyone though. The other option is to compete in this terrible economy for an entry level position.
Too good for an entry level position? Wow, you must be an all-star. That or a total jackass (or both). I think it is the fact that many UGs take this attitude into their first big job hunt is the reason so many of them really suck at interviewing. I was probably one of them too. For some reason, UGs have a real sense of entitlement that only a couple years in the real world can cure them of. I am of the opinion that the work experience doesn't need to be office experience to be of value to you. Sometimes a reality check is very useful.

Anecdote time: my father (first person in his family to go to college, so he didn't suffer from my generation's sense of entitlement) graduated cum laude from Penn. For 3 years before law school, me moved people and cleaned toilets. He claims that there is no way he would have even finished law school without taking that time off.

Eddieb317

New

Post by Eddieb317 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:51 pm

I am half way thorough my year off. I am working in finance and am gaining great "soft skills". It might not even mean much on my resume and application but it will be incredibly helpful later. Lawyers need to develop good networks, to know how to interact with clients, to know how to manage employees, and I am learning a lot of that right now.

I interviewed many legal professionals around Indianapolis while making my decision to go to LS and one of the main recurring "surprises" to new lawyers ( as described by the Lawyers I interviewed; private practice) is how much time is allocated to running the business and interacting with clients in contrast to working with the actual law through writing and research. LS only shows you a part of what is need to be a successful lawyer, so keep your eyes open.

Also, I have recently been speaking with a few IUB economic researchers who are studying the US legal market. They seem the feel that the national legal market is going to be oversupplied for at least 4 more years, then it should be able to begin the process of lawyer demand catching back up with supply. Take your time. There is no need to rush through school just to get shot out into a crowded job market. (Which, ironically, is probably why many are applying to LS)

grouchynihilist

New

Post by grouchynihilist » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Well, not everyone's cut out for an entry level job. They can be too difficult.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sprezzatura

New

Post by sprezzatura » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm going to graduate at the end of a fall semester; will law schools be at all impressed by just one semester (+summer, possibly) "off" spent working rather than the entire year?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:16 pm

x
Last edited by Sandro on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwantT14

New

Post by iwantT14 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:31 pm

crazycanuck wrote:I was all gung-ho about going straight from UG to law school, but I'm going to take some time off school, maybe never go to law school now. I got a job at Deloitte so I'm planning on going after my CA, and re-evaluate my options then. Going to law school in Canada (probably UBC which is a good school) + CA with experience at Deloitte = big law in Canada (probably Vancouver market) if I wanted it. We'll see though how it all plays out over the next few years.

I agree that taking some time off to re-evaluate the options before taking on 150k+ debt. Get a real world perspective.
im in a similar situation, i accepted an offer from PwC and will be starting there next fall. I'm thinking of working 1-2 years and then going to law school once i get my CPA.

how highly do law schools value work experience? i know northwestern really likes it, but what about the rest of the T14? also, how helpful will Big4 accounting experience plus a CPA be while trying to get a BigLaw job?

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:33 pm

iwantT14 wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:I was all gung-ho about going straight from UG to law school, but I'm going to take some time off school, maybe never go to law school now. I got a job at Deloitte so I'm planning on going after my CA, and re-evaluate my options then. Going to law school in Canada (probably UBC which is a good school) + CA with experience at Deloitte = big law in Canada (probably Vancouver market) if I wanted it. We'll see though how it all plays out over the next few years.

im in a similar situation, i accepted an offer from PwC and will be starting there next fall. I'm thinking of working 1-2 years and then going to law school once i get my CPA.

how highly do law schools value work experience? i know northwestern really likes it, but what about the rest of the T14? also, how helpful will Big4 accounting experience plus a CPA be while trying to get a BigLaw job?
Nice! PwC is a great company.

This is purely conjecture based on no evidence but my own common sense (which sometimes isn't all there), I would think that a CPA with big4 experience would be very good experience, and would make you pretty sought after. It's not like there are a ton of big 4 accountants with a t14 degree. Also, they know that you have worked in a big firm environment and that you understand what you are getting into.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:34 pm

I'm jealous of people that have jobs... 5 final rounds and no dice.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:55 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”