2.0 GPA and 165 LSAT..where to apply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
engineer_dude

New

2.0 GPA and 165 LSAT..where to apply?

Post by engineer_dude » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I am an Aerospace Engineer, and have been working for 6+ years as a professional engineer. During my working experience I had exposure to Patents and Intellectual property law. This interest made me write LSAT and explore my options in the field of law. I scored 165 but my GPA sucks since I did a hard bachelor's program unlike most of the folks who apply to law schools (no offence) :)

Any suggestions on which school to apply? Location is not a big factor for me, as long as the school is decent.

Thanks.

Engineer Dude.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Re: 2.0 GPA and 165 LSAT..where to apply?

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Santa Clara would be a perfect fit for you, but your GPA is gonna be damn hard to justify, unless you have good reasons.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Is there a particular reason your GPA is so low? Mine is higher than yours, at a 2.5*, but it's still not good. Of course, I was a math major for a while, with a few random econ and science classes mixed in, before I finally decided to switch to history. My in-major GPA, if I remember correctly, is a 3.1-3.2--definitely a 3.0, I'm almost certain. I plan to write an addendum explaining what happened. I don't have anything that really excuses those low grades, like an illness, so I simply have to explain how I had to learn the hard way certain subjects weren't for me.

engineer_dude

New

Post by engineer_dude » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey B.J.

I had a part time job while in university on top of HEAVY course load. The university I went to, had a pre-picked course schedule for students. Therefore, there was not much room to play with courses (spreading tough courses through the year etc.). I can try to explain myself in an addendum, but don't want to waste my effort and $$ if some schools won't even consider me.

Thanks gamescubes, but why Santa Clara? Do they have a great IP Law program? I will do some research on them too.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Any chance you can re-take the LSAT?! If you can get 170+ Northwestern MIGHT be willing to take a chance on you ... they've historically been kind to heavy splitters with interesting and meaningful WE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

engineer_dude

New

Post by engineer_dude » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:37 pm

Hey missvik...thanks for the pointers...I work full time and re-taking takes a lot of effort...and I believed that 165 was a good score :(

Some people are talking about thomas cooley Law! Since, they will give me 100% scholarship.

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Does anyone else feel that in 10-20 years when the first generation of TLS participants are partners that graduates of cooley law will be at a significant disadvantage. If you were in your office review apps and came across a resume with a cooley law grad, what would you do?

randyn

New

Post by randyn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:50 pm

engineer_dude wrote:Hey missvik...thanks for the pointers...I work full time and re-taking takes a lot of effort...and I believed that 165 was a good score :(

Some people are talking about Thomas Cooley Law! Since, they will give me 100% scholarship.

el flamo maximo

spintk

New

Post by spintk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:56 pm

b.j. wrote:Is there a particular reason your GPA is so low? Mine is higher than yours, at a 2.5*, but it's still not good. Of course, I was a math major for a while, with a few random econ and science classes mixed in, before I finally decided to switch to history. My in-major GPA, if I remember correctly, is a 3.1-3.2--definitely a 3.0, I'm almost certain. I plan to write an addendum explaining what happened. I don't have anything that really excuses those low grades, like an illness, so I simply have to explain how I had to learn the hard way certain subjects weren't for me.
Same here B.J. My cumulative is a particularly low 2.5, but I plan on graduating in the 2.6-2.7 range. Same situation with the mechanical engineering major. I eventually switched to English and Political Science and have 3.6 in both. Guess there are some people like me, huh?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”