Applications already complete, will schools see LSAT reg? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lighthouse28

Bronze

Re: Applications already complete, will schools see LSAT reg?

Post by Lighthouse28 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:20 pm

ozarkhack wrote:When I made the call to re-take, I e-mailed all my schools and requested a hold pending DecLSAT.

I was "under review" in several cases and complete in just about all of them. But everybody told me they'll gladly wait and pull my score when it's ready (except for the ones who've been spotty with communication the whole time, and I'm assuming I'm fine there, and even if not, they're mostly safeties anyway).

You should not assume they'll get the score without your heads up (though surely they can w/o your go-ahead). As has been said, we're talking thousands of apps — Hell, Hastings told me they might actually forget to pull my new score anyway, warning me that there are no guarantees.

That said, if you're worried about bombing and can't overcome your nerves, then maybe you shouldn't re-take. ... But buck up. You've taken it once and know what it entails, and you should be fine. If you're good enough for American ED with your current score, then you'll be good enough for American, regular-style, when you nab those extra points on Dec. 5.
I don't know if I am good enough for American ED with my current score. I was hoping for a miracle. I was hoping to get at least one acceptance BEFORE December 5 to calm my nerves. Now I'm nervous as hell again and I am not going to be able to perform well on the exam. I thought if I could go into the exam knowing it doesn't matter, and if I have at least one acceptance to somewhere (a lower ranking school than American, and I was hoping American would've given me a decision by then), then MAYBE I'd be able to do better. But now that I feel that schools might wait, I don't know if I can do better. I haven't put much effort into studying since September 26. I just feel utterly screwed now and I really don't know what to do. What would you do if you were me? I hope I haven't screwed over my chances at American...

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:30 pm

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I was held at SEVERAL schools when I registered for the December LSAT. Schools know when YOU ARE REGISTERED. I went through this!

They will HOLD your application. They know when you are registered. If you don't belive me search it. Your screwing yourself over when it comes to applying "early." if you think schools don't know about your registration.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:39 pm

avacado111 wrote:ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I was held at SEVERAL schools when I registered for the December LSAT. Schools know when YOU ARE REGISTERED. I went through this!

They will HOLD your application. They know when you are registered. If you don't belive me search it. Your screwing yourself over when it comes to applying "early." if you think schools don't know about your registration.
I can affirm that LSAC says they do not know unless you tell them. Obviously, it seems there is a loop hole somewhere :?

That said, I'm assuming it's still better to apply early and take the December LSAT than to wait until you take it and apply. :?:

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:39 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
avacado111 wrote:ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I can affirm that LSAC says they do not know unless you tell them. Obviously, it seems there is a loop hole somewhere :?

That said, I'm assuming it's still better to apply early and take the December LSAT than to wait until you take it and apply. :?:
Is this true?

I mean I bombed the Sept LSAT. I have a high LSDAS GPA. I can't get into any T-14 as of now. I am retaking in December. Should I submit applications now and tell schools I have a December LSAT pending? I mean..what if I bomb the test? I will waste money on all those application fees and waste time filling out all those applications for schools I have no shot at. I think it would be better to take the Dec LSAT and if you feel good after taking it..then send out applications. What would you all say about this?

Also, I heard it takes a good 2-3 weeks for schools to consider you complete after sending them off. Is this true? In that case it would make sense to send apps as soon as possible...I thought schools would consider you complete like a day or two after you send applications out...why does it take 2-3 weeks?

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:44 pm

I can confirm with ABSOLUTE certainty that schools can see registrations. While I have had a few schools (Gtown, W&M, W&L) make decisions without regard for my feb. retake status (I didn't tell them because I'm thinking I'm not going to need to take it again), I was definitely held at two other schools for this exact reason.

LSAC also told me the schools can not see it, but this is categorically false considering the fact that they had to find out somehow. However, it's easy enough to e-mail and kindly ask them not to hold your app, and in both cases for me that has been sufficient (& necessary).

HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:46 am

So I am thinking of taking the February test. I have been accepted to two schools and WL'd at another. I applied early and want to do this as a preemptive move on any future WL's or possible bargaining chip should I be in a position to negotiate scholarship money with acceptances. I want the schools to consider my current score, since I applied early and in case I go down on the Feb test. So, after reading this, it seems like the best approach is to update the schools that I am re-taking but express interest in them considering my application as it is now. Does that sound right?

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:43 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:So I am thinking of taking the February test. I have been accepted to two schools and WL'd at another. I applied early and want to do this as a preemptive move on any future WL's or possible bargaining chip should I be in a position to negotiate scholarship money with acceptances. I want the schools to consider my current score, since I applied early and in case I go down on the Feb test. So, after reading this, it seems like the best approach is to update the schools that I am re-taking but express interest in them considering my application as it is now. Does that sound right?
I guess so... :? This all seems very uncertain to me. They may look upon a retake as bad. I don't know - I hear contradictory advice all the time. But yea, letting them know to consider the current one can't hurt - I don't think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”