Teach for America Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Berkeley09

New

Teach for America

Post by Berkeley09 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Does anybody who is involved with TFA know what percentage of total applicants get invited to a final interview? Or what percentage of those invited to a final interview are eventually admitted? I was invited directly to the final interview phase (didnt go thru the phone interview) and I'm just trying to get a sense of what my chances are of getting in at this point. Also, how do they choose who proceeds straight to the final interview and who has to go thru the phone interview first? Would the fact that I was invited directly to the final interview sort of indicate that I have a pretty good chance of getting in (of course, I understand that it heavily depends on how well i do during the interivew)?

Thanks in advance!

mvhsbball22

New

Re: Teach for America

Post by mvhsbball22 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Well, I don't have any specifics as to the numbers, but I have a little insight into how the process works.

TFA really is not a competition as such, like law schools are. They will take all the people that they think are qualified and find you a placement somewhere. Once you make it to the in-person interview, they are looking for only a couple things. Can you be a leader? Do you really believe in the mission of TFA? Can you work with other adults constructively?

Mostly, it's not a numbers game, but more of a "do you have what we're looking for?" game.

rebekah438

New

Post by rebekah438 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 pm

mvhsbball22 wrote:Well, I don't have any specifics as to the numbers, but I have a little insight into how the process works.

TFA really is not a competition as such, like law schools are. They will take all the people that they think are qualified and find you a placement somewhere. Once you make it to the in-person interview, they are looking for only a couple things. Can you be a leader? Do you really believe in the mission of TFA? Can you work with other adults constructively?

Mostly, it's not a numbers game, but more of a "do you have what we're looking for?" game.
According to an interviewer I know they also look at how organized you are. So if you're bringing in papers and things make sure there neatly organized somehow.

Bring out your Type A personality

Berkeley09

New

Post by Berkeley09 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:00 pm

mvhsbball22 wrote:Well, I don't have any specifics as to the numbers, but I have a little insight into how the process works.

Thanks so much for the help! Ya I've heard the same thing that there its not a competitive thing where if one person gets admitted then another person wont get admitted. I was just trying to get an idea of what my chances were. Even just a rough estimate would do...like for example, do most (i.e. 50%+) final interview applicants get in or is it less than that? Any ideas, even anecodtal would be fine?

mvhsbball22

New

Post by mvhsbball22 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:01 pm

They will ask a question specifically about the types of organization systems you have in place, or at least they did when I applied two years ago. Good point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Berkeley09

New

Post by Berkeley09 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:22 pm

mvhsbball22 wrote:They will ask a question specifically about the types of organization systems you have in place, or at least they did when I applied two years ago. Good point.
What exactly do you mean by "oranization systems"? Thanks

YankeeFan

New

Post by YankeeFan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Berkeley09 wrote:
mvhsbball22 wrote:They will ask a question specifically about the types of organization systems you have in place, or at least they did when I applied two years ago. Good point.
Haha, excellent point Berkeley09-and this guy/gal "Mvhsbball22" was A TEACHER FOR TEACH FOR AMERICA?!!!! No wonder that Public Education system in America is so bad-seriously is it ANY SURPRISE THAT OUR PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM TESTS SO POORLY-when TEACHERS can't even SPELL?

Good thing I am a product of PRIVATE SCHOOLS-as will be my children one day.

I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT.

New

Post by 1474292940502124 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:39 pm

YankeeFan wrote: Good thing I am a product of PRIVATE SCHOOLS-as will be my children one day.
Dude... no one needed you to even iterate that.

aspiringlawyer

New

Post by aspiringlawyer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:07 am

Haha, excellent point Berkeley09-and this guy/gal "Mvhsbball22" was A TEACHER FOR TEACH FOR AMERICA?!!!! No wonder that Public Education system in America is so bad-seriously is it ANY SURPRISE THAT OUR PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM TESTS SO POORLY-when TEACHERS can't even SPELL?
YankeeFan--Read the thread over again before you start accusing the WRONG person of spelling something incorrectly. Mvhsbball22 spelled "organization systems" correctly. Berkeley09 made a typo and left out the "g", but who cares?

We might not want teachers who can't spell, but we also definitely don't want lawyers who can't read.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Berkeley09

New

Post by Berkeley09 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:03 am

Anybody? I remember a few people on this board were involved in TFA....advice would be much appreciated!

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:47 am

Berkeley09 wrote:Anybody? I remember a few people on this board were involved in TFA....advice would be much appreciated!
everyone is asleep but I did a quick search for some old TFA threads..maybe you can find some useful information in them for now until the morning when people will be awake to answer more specific questions

Teach for America?
TFA, Fulbright, and Peace Corps as softs: how strong?
Teach For America-Free Master's Degree?

hope this helps a bit :)

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:58 am

YankeeFan wrote:
Berkeley09 wrote:

Good thing I am a product of PRIVATE SCHOOLS-as will be my children one day.

This post looks like YankeeFan just outed himself as a true flame/troll rather than an actual poster. So whose alt is he?

mvhsbball22

New

Post by mvhsbball22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:12 am

Organization systems are just ways that you keep different things organized. I remember telling them about the way that I organized files on my computer (by semester and by class) and also how I organized physical papers (by subject). They basically want to see that you think about the ways you organize the many things in your life, preferably both physical and digital.

From anecdotal evidence only, I can give you a rough guess of how many people get through. It was a common experience that in the group interview of about 10, 2-5 would end up getting an offer. It's probably somewhere between 20-40%, depending on the year and other factors.

Yankee Fan: You're funny. This is what schtick looks like.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

irishcoffee

New

Post by irishcoffee » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:21 am

I don't have any guess as to your likelihood of getting in. As previous posters have said, it's not competitive, just selective. As far as organization, they asked me about how I kept track of all of my assignments, papers, etc. Another thing they asked about was goal-setting and planning. Think of a time you set a goal to do something difficult and how you planned to accomplish it. This could be a thesis, an event you helped organize, a triathlon or marathon, etc. Just make sure that when you discuss your planning, you talk about planning backwards from the end date (as in my thesis is due on x date so I must have my rough draft complete by y date, etc).

Good luck!

hellomoto

New

Post by hellomoto » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:37 am

Berkeley,

The other poster on this thread is correct about TFA not being a competitive process. The marketing materials all tout the admissions standards, but I have heard of interview rooms where nobody in the interview gets in, and in other interview rooms where 50% of the room is admitted.

The best way you can prepare is to familiarize yourself with the way Teach for America evaluates potential candidates. If you get in, you will be drilled in the "Teaching as Leadership" rubric. You can find that here: http://www.scienceforamerica.com/toolbo ... /index.php. These are the characteristics that TFA determined are common in highly effective teachers, so be aware of what they are looking for.

Also, for your 5-minute mini-lesson, I saw a ton of mistakes with prospective candidates trying to do too much when I was going through the interview process. Your best bet is to follow the guidelines here: http://www1.chapman.edu/univcoll/facult ... splans.htm. They are looking for you to deliver a tiny lesson using this basic structure. The five-step lesson plan is how TFA trains all new corps members.

Other than that, they're basically looking for leaders. If you are shy or have a hard time being the "boss," the interviewers will figure that out pretty quickly. Your group interview is always sort of crazy, but as long as you read all of the articles and make sure you contribute (without dominating) you should be ok.

Good luck :)

Berkeley09

New

Post by Berkeley09 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:26 am

Thank you so much, guys! You all are soo helpful, I appreciate the advice!

aspiringlawyer

New

Post by aspiringlawyer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Yes--make sure you have an answer for your organization systems. I told my interviewer about my "to-do list" and she asked me "what's the next thing on your to-do list?" So make sure you have a good answer!

Leadership is the main quality they look for (as others have been saying). In the interview you will be asked about times when you took the initiative to do something and when you organized a project. Make sure you have answers.

About half applicants make it through after each cut (application, phone interview, and final interview). However, a higher percentage of people make it through the application and phone interviews in the earlier application deadlines.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

VandyBelle

New

Post by VandyBelle » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:22 pm

hellomoto wrote:Berkeley,
If you are shy or have a hard time being the "boss," the interviewers will figure that out pretty quickly. Your group interview is always sort of crazy, but as long as you read all of the articles and make sure you contribute (without dominating) you should be ok.

Good luck :)
The bolded parts are very true. During my group interview everyone just went right in trying to give ideas (and get noticed) and they didn't even follow the first simple rule (identify someone to record the meeting/ideas). The ONLY thing I said during my group interview was "guys, we seem to have some really great ideas, but we should probably take a step back and select our recorder". I was the only person selected out of that entire group. Organization is key. Good Luck!

zonkadonk

New

Post by zonkadonk » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:29 pm

:shock: at your groupmates. that is a fail and a half. during my group interview, we didn't have the space to break into groups of two, so we had one massive 12 person activity. I think they just ended up throwing out the whole thing, because it was so ridiculous.

YankeeFan

New

Post by YankeeFan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Teach for America, Peace Corps, blah, blah, blah. If you think any of that crap will get you into a better law school-you are mistaken. I haven't done ANY of that community service and plan on going to the University of Chicago School of Law in 2010.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:55 pm

YankeeFan wrote:Teach for America, Peace Corps, blah, blah, blah. If you think any of that crap will get you into a better law school-you are mistaken. I haven't done ANY of that community service and plan on going to the University of Chicago School of Law in 2010.

Oh yeah... Why don't you plan on shutting fuck up once in a while?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:58 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
YankeeFan wrote:Teach for America, Peace Corps, blah, blah, blah. If you think any of that crap will get you into a better law school-you are mistaken. I haven't done ANY of that community service and plan on going to the University of Chicago School of Law in 2010.

+1

If this is an alt, it isn't funny. If YankeeFan is in fact a real "person," good luck in your first job interview, pal.

jacktripper

New

Post by jacktripper » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:57 pm

Marmot wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:

+1

If this is an alt, it isn't funny. If YankeeFan is in fact a real "person," good luck in your first job interview, pal.
He's got to be an alt. That comment about private school was to on the nose to not be satire.

Berkeley09

New

Post by Berkeley09 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:20 am

Thanks again for all your help guys! One last question: I know they asked you on the initial application what your plans are if you didnt get admitted into TFA, but do they also ask you again during your in-person interview? In other words, do they ask you if you have any other job lined up should you be rejected?

Thanks!

MeanderingMatty

New

Post by MeanderingMatty » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:56 am

Teach for America, Peace Corps, blah, blah, blah. If you think any of that crap will get you into a better law school-you are mistaken. I haven't done ANY of that community service and plan on going to the University of Chicago School of Law in 2010.

Isn't it a non sequitur (the likes of which would appear on the LSAT) to assume if you yourself didn't do Teach for America but still got into Chicago that therefore ANYONE who does TFA will not benefit from it? I.e., an assumption that you, one person, are a substantial representation of ALL applicants.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”