How to incidicate language profficiency on resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Vagab0nd

New

How to incidicate language profficiency on resume

Post by Vagab0nd » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:04 pm

How does one indicate a language proficiency on a resume:

(1) Linguistics: French (fluent), Japanese (conversational), and Spanish(basic)
-or-
(2) Linguistics: Fluent in French, conversational in Japanese, and basic proficiency in Latin
-or-
(3) Linguistics: French-fluent, Japanese-intermediate, Latin-basic

etc...

Thanks!

legends159

Silver

Re: How to incidicate language profficiency on resume

Post by legends159 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:05 pm

Vagab0nd wrote:How does one indicate a language proficiency on a resume:

(1) Linguistics: French (fluent), Japanese (conversational), and Spanish(basic)
-or-
(2) Linguistics: Fluent in French, conversational in Japanese, and basic proficiency in Latin
-or-
(3) Linguistics: French-fluent, Japanese-intermediate, Latin-basic

etc...

Thanks!
At the bottom, labeled under "Skills"

put Proficient in ___________

and I studied Latin in college, but I don't think that counts. No one speaks it.

Vagab0nd

New

Post by Vagab0nd » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:09 pm

lol, all I learned from Latin was how to conjugate...

How do I separate being "proficient" in something from fluency and conversational and having minimal understanding?

valjean

New

Post by valjean » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:11 pm

You don't want to use the word "linguistics" to introduce your language skills. I do not think it means what you think it means.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:23 pm

valjean wrote:You don't want to use the word "linguistics" to introduce your language skills. I do not think it means what you think it means.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:29 pm

I have a section at the very end of my resume titled "additional language proficiency" and then wrote this:

Spanish- Fluent in speech, high level of comprehension ability, intermediate levels of reading and writing ability

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:33 pm

i would advocate against making a whole section specifically for language. i put my 3 languages under Skills and Interests. Spanish - fluent, Portuguese - proficient, Italian - proficient

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:33 pm

jaen78 wrote:I have a section at the very end of my resume titled "additional language proficiency" and then wrote this:

Spanish- Fluent in speech, high level of comprehension ability, intermediate levels of reading and writing ability
bad idea, jaen.

kjunfood

New

Post by kjunfood » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:35 pm

im curious, what is the difference between 'proficient' and 'fluent' and 'conversational' in a language, in regards to these resumes and what one would put down

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:38 pm

fluent: can read and write the language with ease, understandable by natives with little effort

proficient: can express clear thoughts, often moreso through speaking.

conversational: took a few beginner's level courses and can put some words together.

IMHO.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:45 pm

What if you can read / understand a language when spoken to you but have difficulty writing or speaking it?

sarcasmpolice

New

Post by sarcasmpolice » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:45 pm

muddywaters wrote:fluent: can read and write the language with ease, understandable by natives with little effort

conversational: took a few beginner's level courses and can put some words together.

IMHO.
You had better be able to do a lot more than "put some words together" if you say you have conversational language skills.

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:47 pm

not really...you can say you are conversational if you can have a short CONVERSATION with others (natives) in the language, even if they have to pur forth significant effort to understand you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarcasmpolice

New

Post by sarcasmpolice » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:56 pm

muddywaters wrote:not really...you can say you are conversational if you can have a short CONVERSATION with others (natives) in the language, even if they have to pur forth significant effort to understand you.
Donde esta el bano?
Ohayo gozaimasu.
Ich mag sauerkraut.

Conversational in 3 languages!

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:00 pm

totally. good for you!

monkeywrench

New

Post by monkeywrench » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:15 pm

muddywaters wrote:totally. good for you!
you have jurisdiction over sarcasmpolice

Ranita

New

Post by Ranita » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:45 pm

As a former foreign language major and as a current foreign language teacher (ESL/Spanish), I often deal with this topic. Simply put, neither my colleagues nor I have come to a satisfactory answer.

In the military we had a standardized test called the DLPT, so we could list our DLPT scores (for example: Reading 2+, Listening 3). Europe, if I’m not mistaken, is moving towards adapting a skills-based rubric that places one on a scale from A1 to C2, but it hasn’t made its way to our side of the ocean yet :(

So what to do? Terms like fluent, proficient, and conversational are ill-defined, as are terms like basic, intermediate, and advanced. However, they are all that we have. Luckily, the latter set of adjectives can be linked to commonly used college classes descriptions. French 101 and 102 tend to be Basic (or Elementary), 201 and 202 are Intermediate, 301 and 302 are Advanced, etc. As an example, the highest level French classes that I took were the lit/civ courses, as well as a semester abroad and a 50-page research paper. So I put French: advanced, but rusty. Also, I took 4 semesters of German, so I put German: intermediate. I also studied some Slavic, Semitic, and Mon-Khmer languages, but only for one semester. To avoid appearing as either a braggart or directionless dilettante, I put none of them on my resume.

However, not everyone has obtained skills from college. In this case, I would suggest a guestimation. Can you conjugate the present, present progressive, past, future, and conditional tenses? Do you have the vocabulary to talk about food, sports, family, school, body parts, etc.? Then that’s equivalent to about two semesters (Beginner). Can you use the subjunctive mood and tell your doctor what hurts and what happened to you last night after you left the bar? Can you read the paper and get 90% of what’s going on? Then you’re looking at Intermediate. Can you distinguish between the preterite, imperfect, present perfect, and past perfect as well as conjugate them all without blinking? Can you read an Op-Ed about Bolivia’s constitutional crisis? Can you understand little kids and less educated speakers, as opposed to just CNN-style news broadcasts? Then put Advanced.

IMHO: Conversational is too vague to mean anything. Proficient is better, but still open to interpretation. Fluent, for me, is a strong word. If you can not only read said Op-Ed about constitutional crisis, but write your own publishable response to it, then go for it. Otherwise, play it safe. We gringos tend to overestimate our capabilities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:47 pm

muddywaters wrote:
jaen78 wrote:I have a section at the very end of my resume titled "additional language proficiency" and then wrote this:

bad idea, jaen.
The career services office at my UG advised me to do it that way. It's been like that for a few years and has never caused any trouble.

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:59 pm

i think it takes up too much space that way and may be seen as filler. im sure you have other more significant stuff higher up on which you could elaborate.

carpet

New

Post by carpet » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36 am

muddywaters wrote:i think it takes up too much space that way and may be seen as filler. im sure you have other more significant stuff higher up on which you could elaborate.
UW app actually asks for this info

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:39 am

You should just list the languages you have abilities in on one line and not bother with specifics. Unless you have a major or minor in one of those languages they're not going to make a big difference.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:01 am

muddywaters wrote:fluent: can read and write the language with ease, understandable by natives with little effort

IMHO.
I respectfully disagree.

I am "fluent" in Portuguese in the sense that I lived in Brazil, learned how to read, write, interpret, translate, think, eat, breathe in Portuguese.

I am "proficient" in Spanish because I can read, write, and say almost everything (with exception of most slang phrases or idiomatic expressions that rarely come up in conversations with classmates, professors, etc.) I want in Spanish. I have interpreted for a local attorney in Spanish, but I am not fluent.

"Conversational", IMHO, would be someone who studied a language for a few months before traveling abroad in order to talk to cab drivers, waiters, doormen, etc.

My personal opinion is that unless you can think and dream in a language, you are not fluent, regardless of how easily others understand you.

One school where I've applied specifically asks for foreign language ability on the application, and it states that "fluent" is the highest level of proficiency that a non-native speaker can attain. This school is known for having one of the best foreign language programs in the country. I have a hard time reconciling this definition with yours.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”