Best law schools for older students Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CE2JD

Silver

Re: Best law schools for older students

Post by CE2JD » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:41 pm

I don't really see being older and/or married as a disadvantage. If your peers at law school still behave like they're at a 24/7 frat party outside of class, and you're not invited, doesn't that just mean you'll have more time to study? And also, if you have a spouse that's fully invested in your mutual success like I do, it tends to alleviate some of the stress of shopping for food, doing laundry, cleaning up, etc. She knows that during my first year of law school, I'll be going through a self-inflicted, full-time hell of studying and she's willing to help out a little more with some of the household stuff (much of which is currently my responsibility since she's makes more money than I do right now :oops: ).

amyLAchemist

New

Post by amyLAchemist » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:52 pm

CE2JD wrote:I don't really see being older and/or married as a disadvantage. If your peers at law school still behave like they're at a 24/7 frat party outside of class, and you're not invited, doesn't that just mean you'll have more time to study? And also, if you have a spouse that's fully invested in your mutual success like I do, it tends to alleviate some of the stress of shopping for food, doing laundry, cleaning up, etc. She knows that during my first year of law school, I'll be going through a self-inflicted, full-time hell of studying and she's willing to help out a little more with some of the household stuff (much of which is currently my responsibility since she's makes more money than I do right now :oops: ).
The first part is great, having a stable lifestyle. :) Unfortunately, I am about 99% sure that I will do all housework/laundry and cleaning during law school. :(

I've been trying to get him to do more, like washing dishes - he's good at that. I'll think of some others.....

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:32 pm

i think its a little different when you have kids - b/c your not deciding between laundry and studying, you are deciding between hanging with your kid and studying --- big difference, even if your SO picks up the slack in other areas of the household stuff.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:44 pm

littleboyblue wrote:i think its a little different when you have kids - b/c your not deciding between laundry and studying, you are deciding between hanging with your kid and studying --- big difference, even if your SO picks up the slack in other areas of the household stuff.
This is very true. I'm terrified of having kids because of this very responsibility.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:47 pm

Berkeley Law loves both those with Ph.D.'s and non-traditional students who have varied and vast life experiences before attending law school. Examples include a woman in my small section (group of 30) who was probably 65 and a grandmother (I heard she was one of the oldest students ever and a bit of an anomaly but very wise). Another student had a Ph.D. and M.D. and was in his 40's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amyLAchemist

New

Post by amyLAchemist » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:55 pm

CE2JD wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:i think its a little different when you have kids - b/c your not deciding between laundry and studying, you are deciding between hanging with your kid and studying --- big difference, even if your SO picks up the slack in other areas of the household stuff.
This is very true. I'm terrified of having kids because of this very responsibility.
Same here. I also don't like children, but I've heard it's different when you have your own. I hope that's true! ;)

CWF V

New

Post by CWF V » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:31 pm

One unintended consequence of having children while you're in grad school is that it can imbue an appreciation for what you are doing to improve the community where your kids are growing up. I often hear people say that they want to take crappy, high-paying jobs while they're young so that they can save up and provide for their kids. I see it a little different.

I'll spare the "We are the world" singing, but there's something to be said about the value of family in preparing for a challenging profession, and in staying mindful of things more important than six figure salaries.

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:54 pm

CE2JD wrote:I don't really see being older and/or married as a disadvantage. If your peers at law school still behave like they're at a 24/7 frat party outside of class, and you're not invited, doesn't that just mean you'll have more time to study? And also, if you have a spouse that's fully invested in your mutual success like I do, it tends to alleviate some of the stress of shopping for food, doing laundry, cleaning up, etc. She knows that during my first year of law school, I'll be going through a self-inflicted, full-time hell of studying and she's willing to help out a little more with some of the household stuff (much of which is currently my responsibility since she's makes more money than I do right now :oops: ).
So you're saying you're attending law school to avoid housework? A wise choice my friend :wink:

I went to grad school with a handful of non-traditional students. They got along with us just fine. I imagine it is harder for them living in our world than for us. It's difficult being in any situation in which you are different in some way than almost everyone else.

milymo

New

Post by milymo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:57 am

amyLAchemist wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
Same here. I also don't like children, but I've heard it's different when you have your own. I hope that's true! ;)
That made me LOL :lol:

I don't like most kids either, but I really like my daughter most of the time. She's 11 so she's a little less likable now than when she was about 3. I also like my nephew, who's 4. Other than that, I'm not a big fan of kids. Don't worry, you'll like your own kids. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:17 am

You all are right. The experience will be what I make of it. As in any situation, some people will like you some won't. It's true I have a lot of job and life experience, but I don't sit on my tush and reminisce about "The Good Old Days". The "Good Old Days" weren't. Actually, I think today's students are light years ahead of where we were. Granted, technology plays a big part in it, but I believe that they are more focused and disciplined then we were. Having said that, that necessarily means the competition is quite fierce. Back in the 70s we were party animals, wine, women, song and various mind altering substances. We were wrong and I've had a hard time forgiving myself for this. But it was what it was. I should have accepted the baseball schloarsip offer I had to The Citadel, they would straightened my young behind right out. If I had, I'd be on The Supreme Court right now. I do believe that. But no, I knew better. I had to go to a big state school, be a hippie and all the hogwash that entailed. Frankly, I'm looking forward to academia, I enjoed it and I can better appreciate it.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:45 am

texaslawyer,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Based on your posts you sound like one of the coolest and most interesting people here. I'm sure you will be very popular in law school, no matter what your age.

That being said, I would probably choose a more urban school. It seems like schools like UVA and Cornell seem to attract a lot of straight out of college frat guy/sorority girl types. I have some friends who go to both who tell me that the stereotypes pretty much ring true.

jrh

New

Post by jrh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:12 am

milymo wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
That made me LOL :lol:

I don't like most kids either, but I really like my daughter most of the time. She's 11 so she's a little less likable now than when she was about 3. I also like my nephew, who's 4. Other than that, I'm not a big fan of kids. Don't worry, you'll like your own kids. :)
i'll definitely second this. i had little to no appreciation for children until my daughter was born. now i completely get, my daughter's awesome. i could have never anticipated what she brings to my life on so many different levels.

as to the non-traditional worries, i think it is what you make it. every person in law school can fit into different categories at the same time. maybe a particular student is 15+ years older, but if they share common interests with others and engage these in class, clinics and other areas it seems as though the 'legal interest' category may outweigh the 'age' category. personally, as someone who will be entering law school as a 25-year-old with a 5-year-old, i'll be straddling the bar scene approach with the non-traditional stay at home approach. it'll be interesting but i definitely think its doable, and in the end i don't see my time in law school being defined by either my age or my family responsibilities.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:22 am

jrh wrote: i'll definitely second this. i had little to no appreciation for children until my daughter was born. now i completely get, my daughter's awesome. i could have never anticipated what she brings to my life on so many different levels.

as to the non-traditional worries, i think it is what you make it. every person in law school can fit into different categories at the same time. maybe a particular student is 15+ years older, but if they share common interests with others and engage these in class, clinics and other areas it seems as though the 'legal interest' category may outweigh the 'age' category. personally, as someone who will be entering law school as a 25-year-old with a 5-year-old, i'll be straddling the bar scene approach with the non-traditional stay at home approach. it'll be interesting but i definitely think its doable, and in the end i don't see my time in law school being defined by either my age or my family responsibilities.
out of curiosity - are you a mom or a dad?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:50 am

Nitsudrx,

I was a fraternity boy and a party animal in my undergrad days. Thank you for your kind words. I try to be as real and unpretentious as I can be. I really would love to go to NU. I LOVE the Chicago area and I've seen Southerners do well up North. Conversely, I seen Northerners do very well here in the South. I think it all boils down to attitude and self perceptions. Admittedly, there are some venues that wouldn't be right for us regardless of our gifts, but I believe a place or situation is what you make of it. I'm starting the process soon. Wish me luck. Someone asked me what kind of law I want to practice. Probably insurance law or criminal. I don't know yet, but I do want to be litigator.

jrh

New

Post by jrh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:47 pm

littleboyblue wrote:
jrh wrote: i'll definitely second this. i had little to no appreciation for children until my daughter was born. now i completely get, my daughter's awesome. i could have never anticipated what she brings to my life on so many different levels.

out of curiosity - are you a mom or a dad?

i'm a mom (although splitting my time between bars and staying at home may traditionally be more of a dad thing)

fortunately, although my daughter's father an i are no longer together, we have a great arrangement that allows both of us to get in plenty of quality time reading stories and playing with legos while also having time to engage in more adult activities. i consider myself very lucky in this regard. this is probably why i'm so optimistic about being able to balance it all when law school begins.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:18 pm

jrh wrote:i'm a mom (although splitting my time between bars and staying at home may traditionally be more of a dad thing)

fortunately, although my daughter's father an i are no longer together, we have a great arrangement that allows both of us to get in plenty of quality time reading stories and playing with legos while also having time to engage in more adult activities. i consider myself very lucky in this regard. this is probably why i'm so optimistic about being able to balance it all when law school begins.
lots of luck!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Dick Whitman wrote:I went to grad school with a handful of non-traditional students. They got along with us just fine. I imagine it is harder for them living in our world than for us. It's difficult being in any situation in which you are different in some way than almost everyone else.
This is why married should equal URM. 8)

GIMMIE MY SCHOLARSHIP!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:37 pm

I imagine it is harder for them living in our world than for us. It's difficult being in any situation in which you are different in some way than almost everyone else.
Yes, it's not easy being 26 year old lawyer working with partners old enough to be my father or grandfather. I've been treated with nothing but respect but I'm positive that deep down, they can't help but compare me to their kids (or grandkids). I'm sure when I'm 60, I won't be able to take some 25 year old know-nothing all that seriously. :)

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:51 pm

We all have to start somewhere. Imagine me, being older working for someone half my age. I have had younger bosses off and on for years. As long as they know their stuff, no problem. However, let's get me into and graduated from law school before we worry about this. By the way, this board has been so positive and supportive. I've seen other boards (Law) that were very hostile toward me. I think that's cowardly because I'll never know who they are to confront them. I don't think they want to tangle with me as I can be very formidable, intelectually anyway. I do have an intimidating effect on people. I'm not bragging, sometimes I'd get along better if I didn't. I picked this up from many years in the trucking business. That business is pretty much run by organized crime. In dealing with wiseguys, if you ever show them you are afraid, you're toast. I had to develop this image, otherwise I'd be able to tell you where Jummy Hoffa is.

CWF V

New

Post by CWF V » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:10 pm

I'm crafting an image here of James Gandolfini :D

I, too, am a bit older, got another masters at an older age, and enjoy the mixing of ideas, of cultures, and of experiences. It definitely adds a lot to the learning environment.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:20 pm

texaslawyer wrote:We all have to start somewhere. Imagine me, being older working for someone half my age. I have had younger bosses off and on for years. As long as they know their stuff, no problem. However, let's get me into and graduated from law school before we worry about this. By the way, this board has been so positive and supportive. I've seen other boards (Law) that were very hostile toward me. I think that's cowardly because I'll never know who they are to confront them. I don't think they want to tangle with me as I can be very formidable, intelectually anyway. I do have an intimidating effect on people. I'm not bragging, sometimes I'd get along better if I didn't. I picked this up from many years in the trucking business. That business is pretty much run by organized crime. In dealing with wiseguys, if you ever show them you are afraid, you're toast. I had to develop this image, otherwise I'd be able to tell you where Jummy Hoffa is.
Holy shit, Clint Eastwood is applying to law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Yeah and Clint will make a good lawyer. I expect the experience to be very good. I have a lot of work to do before we get there. The trucking business is one tough, brutal business. At least it was when I was in it. I put my way through undergrad pitching packages at UPS. I must say that was tough, but I learned to manage time. Made decent money for part time job. However, we all deal with some rough people in whatever we do.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:29 pm

texaslawyer wrote:We all have to start somewhere. Imagine me, being older working for someone half my age. I have had younger bosses off and on for years. As long as they know their stuff, no problem. However, let's get me into and graduated from law school before we worry about this. By the way, this board has been so positive and supportive. I've seen other boards (Law) that were very hostile toward me. I think that's cowardly because I'll never know who they are to confront them. I don't think they want to tangle with me as I can be very formidable, intelectually anyway. I do have an intimidating effect on people. I'm not bragging, sometimes I'd get along better if I didn't. I picked this up from many years in the trucking business. That business is pretty much run by organized crime. In dealing with wiseguys, if you ever show them you are afraid, you're toast. I had to develop this image, otherwise I'd be able to tell you where Jummy Hoffa is.
If you're intellectually intimidating you probably don't need to hunt people down in person to confront them.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:38 pm

texaslawyer wrote:Nitsudrx,

I was a fraternity boy and a party animal in my undergrad days. Thank you for your kind words. I try to be as real and unpretentious as I can be. I really would love to go to NU. I LOVE the Chicago area and I've seen Southerners do well up North. Conversely, I seen Northerners do very well here in the South. I think it all boils down to attitude and self perceptions. Admittedly, there are some venues that wouldn't be right for us regardless of our gifts, but I believe a place or situation is what you make of it. I'm starting the process soon. Wish me luck. Someone asked me what kind of law I want to practice. Probably insurance law or criminal. I don't know yet, but I do want to be litigator.
Certainly. Best of luck to you, sir.

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:47 pm

BWV I don't seek confrontations, but I don't run from them either. I maybe a hard boiled old coot, but I try not to sweat the small things. It took me forever not to get my drawers in a wad about things I couldn't control. Still, I'm not the best at it. I have no illusions about law school being easy, it won't be. However, we are smart or we wouldn't be seriously considering going. Being smart is no picnic as we all know. I think many of us are afraid to display our intelligence, because many people are frightened by it or let's face it, downright jealous. I don't believe any of us would forfiet IQ points to be happy. I wouldn't.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”