Is it wise to ED Northwestern? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abbyballet

New

Is it wise to ED Northwestern?

Post by abbyballet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:48 am

Hey guys, I have a 3.94/4.00 GPA from an ivy league school, scored 167 for LSAT, and have 5-yr WE. I am considering applying for ED at NU. I also want to apply for Michigan, Berkeley, Duke, Cornell, UT Austin, UCLA, WUSTL, USC. My career plan is to work in Biglaw, so spending 3 yr in a T13 would make great sense to me.

Applicants to NU for Early Decision Program who got accepted receive 130k scholarship. ED applicants to UT Austin pay in-state tuition plus scholarship. Is it wise for me to ED NU for scholarship opportunities? Is there any chance that other schools might offer me more $$ in Regular Decision?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Is it wise to ED Northwestern?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm

ED to NU isn't a bad choice in your spot but I hope you realize that with a 169-170 or better (that's still within the margin of error of your current score, so it should be attainable unless you needed like 4 tries to get the 167) you'd be looking at multiple T13 full-rides. In your shoes I would commit fully to improving that LSAT score and then apply broadly, RD.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Post by Lawman1865 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm

I think it's a good decision. If your goal is biglaw, NU puts you in a good place and if you could get that amount of $$ then it's an easy decision in my book tbh. I would also suggest making the decision easier by putting WUSTL, UCLA, and USC out of your mind. Those schools, while good, are in a much weaker position to get you the biglaw job that you claim to want (I would also suggest potentially taking out UT unless you have serious connections/plans to stay in Texas long term...)

Airbender has a good point as far as the "retake" stance, especially if this was just your first score. Like he said, another point or two opens up a wide range of T14 opportunities. Ultimately though I would go for the ED at NU and see what happens, if you get in I would honestly just go with that (unless you really don't mind retaking the LSAT or could really use more $).

Good luck

abbyballet

New

Post by abbyballet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:57 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:ED to NU isn't a bad choice in your spot but I hope you realize that with a 169-170 or better (that's still within the margin of error of your current score, so it should be attainable unless you needed like 4 tries to get the 167) you'd be looking at multiple T13 full-rides. In your shoes I would commit fully to improving that LSAT score and then apply broadly, RD.
Thank you so much for your advice. It makes great sense. I am still studying for LSAT and hope to get a better score in Jan 2020.(My place only has Oct and Jan LSAT, and spots for Oct LSAT got filled up before I realized) . If I do not ED NU, I would apply broadly and update Jan LSAT score. I am wondering with a 167 LSAT+ 3.94GPA, would my chance to get admitted to any T13 with scholarship more than 130k be pretty slim? Thank you again for your insights

abbyballet

New

Post by abbyballet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Lawman1865 wrote:I think it's a good decision. If your goal is biglaw, NU puts you in a good place and if you could get that amount of $$ then it's an easy decision in my book tbh. I would also suggest making the decision easier by putting WUSTL, UCLA, and USC out of your mind. Those schools, while good, are in a much weaker position to get you the biglaw job that you claim to want (I would also suggest potentially taking out UT unless you have serious connections/plans to stay in Texas long term...)

Airbender has a good point as far as the "retake" stance, especially if this was just your first score. Like he said, another point or two opens up a wide range of T14 opportunities. Ultimately though I would go for the ED at NU and see what happens, if you get in I would honestly just go with that (unless you really don't mind retaking the LSAT or could really use more $).

Good luck
Many thanks for your insights and kindness! My kid has asthma. If it were for the long freezing cold winters in Chicago, I would ED at NU without any hesitation. With health concerns, I am struggling to apply to other T13 with warmer weather. I am not sure I could get as much as 130k from T13 in Regular Decision.(my guess is that chance might be slim). It is a very difficult decision for me to make to choose between money and weather.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawman1865

Bronze

Post by Lawman1865 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:09 pm

abbyballet wrote:
Lawman1865 wrote:I think it's a good decision. If your goal is biglaw, NU puts you in a good place and if you could get that amount of $$ then it's an easy decision in my book tbh. I would also suggest making the decision easier by putting WUSTL, UCLA, and USC out of your mind. Those schools, while good, are in a much weaker position to get you the biglaw job that you claim to want (I would also suggest potentially taking out UT unless you have serious connections/plans to stay in Texas long term...)

Good luck
Many thanks for your insights and kindness! My kid has asthma. If it were for the long freezing cold winters in Chicago, I would ED at NU without any hesitation. With health concerns, I am struggling to apply to other T13 with warmer weather. I am not sure I could get as much as 130k from T13 in Regular Decision.(my guess is that chance might be slim). It is a very difficult decision for me to make to choose between money and weather.
Health is absolutely a good reason to be very selective on where you choose to be and if the condition is such that you feel your child won't be able to thrive in that environment, then there's no shame at all in searching for another school. It is indeed an interesting choice...

As far as whether a 167 will give you money at a T14, obviously it depends on certain factors, sometimes schools appreciate certain types of students and you can get lucky. With that said, as you mention, a 167 is generally not known to rake in big bucks at the top schools. In addition to all this, most of the top schools are in colder climates. You listed Cornell/Michigan as options, and they are good bets since they can sometimes give good money and dip a bit lower in the LSAT pool, but if you think Chicago is cold...

Ultimately you've changed the parameters of your decision pretty dramatically and I would rescind my suggestion to strike the California T20's from your list. I think UCLA with good money would be a good compromise between placing yourself in a good career position and living in a location that will be comfortable for your child. The above being said, re-taking the LSAT is an obvious choice here and hopefully you rock it and get into some great schools.

Good luck!

abbyballet

New

Post by abbyballet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Lawman1865 wrote:
abbyballet wrote:

Good luck
Health is absolutely a good reason to be very selective on where you choose to be and if the condition is such that you feel your child won't be able to thrive in that environment, then there's no shame at all in searching for another school. It is indeed an interesting choice...

As far as whether a 167 will give you money at a T14, obviously it depends on certain factors, sometimes schools appreciate certain types of students and you can get lucky. With that said, as you mention, a 167 is generally not known to rake in big bucks at the top schools. In addition to all this, most of the top schools are in colder climates. You listed Cornell/Michigan as options, and they are good bets since they can sometimes give good money and dip a bit lower in the LSAT pool, but if you think Chicago is cold...

Ultimately you've changed the parameters of your decision pretty dramatically and I would rescind my suggestion to strike the California T20's from your list. I think UCLA with good money would be a good compromise between placing yourself in a good career position and living in a location that will be comfortable for your child. The above being said, re-taking the LSAT is an obvious choice here and hopefully you rock it and get into some great schools.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your input:) really helping me consolidate determination to make the right choice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”