What do schools think of online degrees? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thatlawschoolshit

New

What do schools think of online degrees?

Post by thatlawschoolshit » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:08 pm

A state college I'm considering transferring to offers a few online bachelors degrees. Even though this would work out great for my work schedule, I'm worried what law schools will think. Is there still a stigma around online program, even ones from generally well respected state schools?

cavalier1138

Re: What do schools think of online degrees?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:25 am

I think if the program is run by a decent school, it's likely to be ok. Online degrees are more likely to be a problem in the context of for-profit diploma mills.

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Does it say anything on the diploma about where you took the classes? Also, I went to a diploma-mill online and got into law school. I know for a fact I got dinged at one of the schools I applied to, but I got into a bunch of others.

thatlawschoolshit

New

Post by thatlawschoolshit » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:41 pm

thriller1122 wrote:Does it say anything on the diploma about where you took the classes? Also, I went to a diploma-mill online and got into law school. I know for a fact I got dinged at one of the schools I applied to, but I got into a bunch of others.
I suppose I don't know if my diploma will actually say that I went to college online. Guess I'll look into it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:46 pm

thatlawschoolshit wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:Does it say anything on the diploma about where you took the classes? Also, I went to a diploma-mill online and got into law school. I know for a fact I got dinged at one of the schools I applied to, but I got into a bunch of others.
I suppose I don't know if my diploma will actually say that I went to college online. Guess I'll look into it.
That's not important. Your transcript is what the admissions department looks at.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I think if the program is run by a decent school, it's likely to be ok. Online degrees are more likely to be a problem in the context of for-profit diploma mills.
I agree that the school is the key here. An online degree from a reputable, accredited traditional university will likely be viewed the same way as an on-campus degree from the same university.

The caveat is if the university itself is especially prestigious and hard to get into, but the online program has much looser admissions standards. For example, I don't think Harvard Extension degrees are going to be viewed the same way as Harvard College degrees.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”