Addendum & Supplement Questions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Addendum & Supplement Questions

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 pm

I have written an addendum to explain both my poor GPA and my academic probation (which resulted from failing a class). I am also in the process of writing "Why School" essays for the schools I have very specific reasons for wanting to attend (Northwestern, Columbia, Duke, & UVA).

Applications have not yet opened, but where would I submit my addendum and supplements? My goal is to have everything ready to go by October, so I want to make sure I know what I'm doing, whether I should convert my word documents into PDFs, etc.

cavalier1138

Re: Addendum & Supplement Questions

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:15 am

I forget whether you have to convert anything to PDF, but every application has a section for additional documents or has an option to directly enter your addendum. So it'll depend on the school and the application layout.

Also, don't waste a "Why [X]" on Columbia. Those are more necessary for lower T13 schools, and they're mostly necessary to guard against yield protection, not to boost your chances.

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:43 am

cavalier1138 wrote:I forget whether you have to convert anything to PDF, but every application has a section for additional documents or has an option to directly enter your addendum. So it'll depend on the school and the application layout.

Also, don't waste a "Why [X]" on Columbia. Those are more necessary for lower T13 schools, and they're mostly necessary to guard against yield protection, not to boost your chances.
I will keep an eye out for that when I apply. Also, are you sure I should not write a "Why [X]" for Columbia? It was my undergraduate institution, and I did learn a great deal as a student there. If you really believe it is unnecessary though, I will save myself the time.

Also, I want to say thank you. I know you have been answering my many questions as I work to navigate this process, and I really do appreciate it. I will likely have many more questions as I work to assemble all of my materials, and it is nice knowing I can count on you, as well as some of the other TLS members, for help.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:44 pm

enz2103 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I forget whether you have to convert anything to PDF, but every application has a section for additional documents or has an option to directly enter your addendum. So it'll depend on the school and the application layout.

I will keep an eye out for that when I apply. Also, are you sure I should not write a "Why [X]" for Columbia? It was my undergraduate institution, and I did learn a great deal as a student there. If you really believe it is unnecessary though, I will save myself the time.

Also, I want to say thank you. I know you have been answering my many questions as I work to navigate this process, and I really do appreciate it. I will likely have many more questions as I work to assemble all of my materials, and it is nice knowing I can count on you, as well as some of the other TLS members, for help.
Don't expect it to move the needle too much (relative to what MyLSN predicts based on your uGPA/LSAT), but if you really have a compelling Why Columbia, include it. A truly compelling Why X can only help (of course, the caveat is it has to be well-written; better to not write a Why X than to submit a bad Why X).

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:34 am

QContinuum wrote:Don't expect it to move the needle too much (relative to what MyLSN predicts based on your uGPA/LSAT), but if you really have a compelling Why Columbia, include it. A truly compelling Why X can only help (of course, the caveat is it has to be well-written; better to not write a Why X than to submit a bad Why X).
Okay. My GPA/LSAT combination, despite being a splitter, seems to have a good record according to MyLSN. Guess top schools must have more range to soak a bad GPA for a good LSAT.

I'll stick to writing my "Why [X]" for schools that will likely yield protect me then based on your & Cav's advice. Does this rule only apply to lower T13/14 schools, or should I be writing a "Why [X]" essay for Vanderbilt? It's the main school outside of the T13 that I want to get into.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:19 am

enz2103 wrote:
QContinuum wrote:Don't expect it to move the needle too much (relative to what MyLSN predicts based on your uGPA/LSAT), but if you really have a compelling Why Columbia, include it. A truly compelling Why X can only help (of course, the caveat is it has to be well-written; better to not write a Why X than to submit a bad Why X).
Okay. My GPA/LSAT combination, despite being a splitter, seems to have a good record according to MyLSN. Guess top schools must have more range to soak a bad GPA for a good LSAT.

I'll stick to writing my "Why [X]" for schools that will likely yield protect me then based on your & Cav's advice. Does this rule only apply to lower T13/14 schools, or should I be writing a "Why [X]" essay for Vanderbilt? It's the main school outside of the T13 that I want to get into.
Lower-ranked schools are more likely to YP, and there are also a few T13s that are known to heavily prefer Why Xs (you can smoke these out by looking at your chances on MyLSN - inexplicable dips in your admissions odds - e.g., lower odds at Michigan than at NYU - can likely be explained by an implicit Why X requirement). So, yes, I'd recommend writing a Why Vandy, and for the handful of T13s that really care about 'em (Michigan and Virginia come to mind, but I know there are a few others as well).

Depending on how bad your GPA is, it may make sense to forego Cornell altogether, as Cornell's very idiosyncratically GPA-selective. Berkeley too, to a slightly lesser extent, though it never hurts to try.

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:39 pm

QContinuum wrote:Depending on how bad your GPA is, it may make sense to forego Cornell altogether, as Cornell's very idiosyncratically GPA-selective. Berkeley too, to a slightly lesser extent, though it never hurts to try.
My GPA is a 3.4. When my transcripts are checked, the admissions officers will see that a 2.8 in my junior semester tanked my grades, and I have written an addendum explaining what happened (family issues).

I will likely still apply to Cornell. Even though the chances are low, I work full-time and can afford the extra cost for an application. However, since I really do not want to be in California, I will omit Berkeley from my list, since now I have two reasons for doing so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”