Accused of academic dishonesty but acquitted. How will this affect my chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HoJu

New

Accused of academic dishonesty but acquitted. How will this affect my chances?

Post by HoJu » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:08 pm

In my senior year I was accused of cheating on an exam, but was acquitted after my hearing when I was able to show that my answers were my own and that I did not use outside sources. The head of the academic conduct office told me I wouldn't have to disclose as ultimately all charges were dropped and no disciplinary action was taken. Most schools only seem interested in cases where there was actual discipline involved, but some schools that I'm interested in applying to have their C&F questions worded in such a way that it seems like I'd have to disclose despite being exonerated. I emailed admissions at Emory and they said I had to disclose despite being acquitted. How worried should I be in these cases? Other than this accusation, my record is spotless aside from a single speeding ticket.

cavalier1138

Re: Accused of academic dishonesty but acquitted. How will this affect my chances?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:38 pm

I wouldn't be worried, especially if you explain the nature of the acquittal. Just be firm and clear on the point that the committee found you did not cheat.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”