Letters of Rec - 6 years out of UG Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
purplerainboots

New

Letters of Rec - 6 years out of UG

Post by purplerainboots » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 pm

I'm 6 years out of undergrad and am trying to decide who to ask for LoR. I have one college professor (a thesis advisor) and my current supervisor already. There is another professor I could ask (my other thesis advisor--I double majored) but I haven't stayed in touch with him and am concerned that he won't really remember much about me. I also have a previous supervisor I could ask--because of my line of work, she is actually a law professor so maybe that would carry more weight than an old thesis advisor. I know that schools really value academic LoR which is why I'm even considering asking my old thesis advisor. What would you choose?

In case it matters my uGPA is 3.9x and LSAT 175.

cavalier1138

Re: Letters of Rec - 6 years out of UG

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Your LORs are going to be primarily for tipping the scales at Yale and Stanford, since you're pretty much guaranteed admission everywhere else with those numbers.

I would reach out to your other thesis advisor and see whether your instincts are correct. If they are, don't include a letter from him. If it turns out he does remember you, I'd include it. You should also include a letter from one of your supervisors (most places require two but let you submit 3-4), and I would pick the one that knows you better and can better speak to your work ethic. If they both know you equally well, use the law professor.

purplerainboots

New

Post by purplerainboots » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:49 pm

Thanks--you're probably right that I should at least reach out to the other thesis advisor. Maybe I made more of an impression than I think!

I've considered submitting letters from all 4 since many schools allow up to 4, but that seems a little desperate, you know? I'm probably overthinking that, though.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:59 pm

purplerainboots wrote:Thanks--you're probably right that I should at least reach out to the other thesis advisor. Maybe I made more of an impression than I think!

I've considered submitting letters from all 4 since many schools allow up to 4, but that seems a little desperate, you know? I'm probably overthinking that, though.
It's better to have 2 strong letters than to have 2 strong letters plus another 2 lukewarm/mediocre letters. The mediocre letters would hurt, not help. Quantity in itself is not helpful. A strong letter from your thesis advisor plus a strong letter from your current supervisor suffices. To be frank, even if the letter from your other thesis advisor was also equally strong, it'd probably add limited value at best (as you already have a strong academic letter from one of your thesis advisors). I'd only add that letter if you're sure it will be strong; if in any doubt, I'd err on the side of not including it.

OTOH, including a letter from your previous law professor supervisor actually could add value, because (presumably) none of your other recommenders are legal academics. But again, only add this if you're sure the letter would be strong. If in doubt, don't include it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”