Active duty military undergrad concerns Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Xlite91

New

Active duty military undergrad concerns

Post by Xlite91 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Good Afternoon,

I have been doing as much research as possible in regards to the application process for law school. I understand how important LSAT scores are and that a high GPA must be maintained. I have acquired numerous credits throughout my military career via CLEP and JST. I have been accepted to a program that accepts many of these credits and will allow me to finish my undergrad in a timely manner. My concern is that law schools will review my transcripts and deny me based on acquiring a degree that allows for these credits. Am I wrong? I hold the rank of E6 after five years of service. This is the perfect time to reevaluate my undergrad intentions before I start digging too deep.

Another concern is my past. I am a GED holder with a HORRIBLE community college GPA "2.6" from 2012. Since joining the military, I have received 4.0's in every course attended. I still need to complete over 60 credits "or more" prior to completing my undergrad, so I still have time to correct my overall GPA. My dream law schools are Columbia, UPENN and Texas. Is there still hope? Would getting accepted to Columbia GS to finish my undergrad be a better route?

Other things that could potentially help my application. First gen, Hispanic, stationed overseas in Japan for four years, seven patrols. Thank you very much for reading this!

cavalier1138

Re: Active duty military undergrad concerns

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 pm

To answer the first question: No, no one is going to hold your degree against you because your granting institution accepted those credits.

The second one is less definite. It depends on how many community college credits you have. Your overall GPA is going to be the one that counts for admissions purposes, so if your final GPA isn't a killer (e.g. <3.0), you should still be eligible for T13 schools. On that note, your "dream schools" are extremely specific and your picks make no sense. Pick schools based on whether you'll be able to have a reasonable shot at your career goals and attend for a reasonable price. So there's no reason to target Columbia and Penn over NYU and Chicago (or for that matter, over any other T13, depending on your goals).

And can you be more specific about your ethnicity? Not every Hispanic applicant is considered a URM.

Xlite91

New

Post by Xlite91 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Thank you for your reply! I am Mexican American. I'm not too worried about costs due to the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program. I should be able to get my overall GPA to a 3.3+. I should have mentioned NYU as well! I am very interested in going biglaw. I've heard that you should try and attend law school near the location you wish to seek employment from. Is that not true? That's why my choices are all over the place. As you said, any T13 would be great if that is not the case.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Xlite91 wrote:I am very interested in going biglaw. I've heard that you should try and attend law school near the location you wish to seek employment from. Is that not true?
That's only true outside the T13. Biglaw (especially NYC biglaw) is accessible from any T13 school. If you're interested in big firms in a specific secondary market (e.g. Philly or Texas), you usually need ties to that market.

If you can get a 3.3, you'll need a strong LSAT to be competitive for the T13, but Mexican Americans generally count as URMs for admissions. So the T13 is definitely not out of reach for you.

Xlite91

New

Post by Xlite91 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Thank you very much for the clarification and information! My final question is centered around the LSAT. I will complete my Active Duty obligation in 2021. My undergrad will be completed in May 2023. When should I begin studying and aiming to take the LSAT? If I started studying LG now so that I can go -0, would it hurt me in the long run? As you stated, my LSAT must be on point in order to get a shot at T13.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Xlite91 wrote:Thank you very much for the clarification and information! My final question is centered around the LSAT. I will complete my Active Duty obligation in 2021. My undergrad will be completed in May 2023. When should I begin studying and aiming to take the LSAT? If I started studying LG now so that I can go -0, would it hurt me in the long run? As you stated, my LSAT must be on point in order to get a shot at T13.
LSAT scores are good for five years. You can start studying as soon as you want. Your priorities in this should be learning how to get 'A's at the same time as maintaining your job performance. Since you're getting out in '21 it sounds like you have some time. You'll be applying 22-23 cycle so your goal should be to have your LSAT done by June '22. But if you knocked it out in November it's still going to be good for that cycle.

I was in a very similar situation as you three years ago. Why are you taking so long to complete your undergrad? You can do 48 hours via FTA funding alone before your ETS. Find a way to pay for the last few classes if you can and finish while on active duty. Don't waste the GI Bill on Undergrad. DM me if you have more questions. We have similar stories and I'm starting at a T-14 in August.

Xlite91

New

Post by Xlite91 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:44 pm

First five years in service were spent training/deploying. I did a few CLEP tests towards the end of my deployment cycles. I am currently recruiting so free time is limited. I am only able to take about 2-3 courses at a time right now while maintaining a 4.0 in the class. I will send you a DM!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Xlite91 wrote:I tried to DM you but I don't have that authorization yet. As soon as I am able to, DM will be sent!
IIRC, users can send PMs after making 5 posts, so you should now be able to PM AJordan!

Xlite91

New

Post by Xlite91 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 am

PM was sent! Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”