What Are my Chances at UPenn, NYU, Columbia, Utexas, Virginia? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dallas99

New

What Are my Chances at UPenn, NYU, Columbia, Utexas, Virginia?

Post by dallas99 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Hello everyone.
I am a junior undergrad applying to law school in Fall 2019. I attend University of Texas and am a History and Government Double Major.
GPA: 3.82
LSAT: 173

I would ultimately like to go to either UPENN or University of Texas Law school. Penn is very attractive due to their joint JD/MBA program.
As far as work experience, I have three years of work experience at the same company, 1 year at a political consulting firm in Austin, and co-founded an insurance provider that does 2.5mm+ in revenue.
I thought my LSAT was okay but was concerned about my GPA for some of these schools. What are my chances of getting in?

Other things:
Private Pilot License
Fluent in Spanish
History Honor Society
4 Years and going Guatemala Mission Trip
University Honors every year
First Generation college student

cavalier1138

Re: What Are my Chances at UPenn, NYU, Columbia, Utexas, Virginia?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:34 am

Your numbers pretty much guarantee admission at CCN on down and give you a solid shot at HYS. It sounds like you might not be a typical undergrad based on your work experience, so I don't know that there's any benefit to you taking time to work/live before pursuing a JD.

Unless you're dead-set on working in Texas, UT is out. Even if you are dead-set on working in Texas, it sounds like you have sufficient ties to get back there from a better school. You should be blanketing the T13 and going to the school that gives you the best scholarship offer. To the extent that you're considering "specialties," the only possible consideration for you should be whether you want an MBA from a specific institution. A number of the top schools offer JD/MBA programs.

And on that note, if you don't want to be a lawyer (i.e. not a businessperson with a JD), don't go to law school.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Re: What Are my Chances at UPenn, NYU, Columbia, Utexas, Virginia?

Post by icansortofmath » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:29 am

Aiming too low. You have legit shots at HYS and they all have strong JD/MBA programs.

UPenn MBA is known to be an investment banking feeder. Not sure how that interacts with JD. Yale, Harvard, and Stanford are all more consulting/entrepreneurship oriented and seem to be more natural fit with JD.

Return to “What are my chances?”