starting law school at 35 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nomindtrader24

New

starting law school at 35

Post by nomindtrader24 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Hey all - i am currently 34 and will be appearing for the LSAT in June (jeez it's close !). As you would have guessed, as i am taking the LSAT i want to a law school in the US. A bit about my background to supplement the previous info: UnderGrad : BE Electronic Engineering; PostGrad: PhD (Microelectronics). I have completed a three year postdoc and have worked in patent law (4 years) two law firms (a well-know US law firm and a UK based law firm). Lastly, i am qualified European Patent Attorney and do a lot of patent prosecution. I want to move into litigation and more particularly in the US and as a result my decision to go to law school. However, I am just nervous that i might be too old to start law school and whether this is a good decision given my profile (even though i know how the US law firms function with high billables - my billables were high enough for a prosecutor so i am not worried about that front). Is it the right decision or am i too old ? Please any help advise, which would help me clear my dilemma, is most welcome?

cavalier1138

Re: starting law school at 35

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:44 pm

Is there a reason you need to get a JD instead of an LLM?

You're not too old for law school, but based on your credentials, I would think the LLM fits you better.

nomindtrader24

New

Post by nomindtrader24 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:53 pm

An LLM degree requires the first degree to be a law (LLB) - i dont have that. Plus i want to keep my options open, in that after litigation i can go in-house as counsel or go somewhere else and practice law - in essence, my options will be quite varied.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri May 24, 2019 2:09 pm

nomindtrader24 wrote:Hey all - i am currently 34 and will be appearing for the LSAT in June (jeez it's close !). As you would have guessed, as i am taking the LSAT i want to a law school in the US. A bit about my background to supplement the previous info: UnderGrad : BE Electronic Engineering; PostGrad: PhD (Microelectronics). I have completed a three year postdoc and have worked in patent law (4 years) two law firms (a well-know US law firm and a UK based law firm). Lastly, i am qualified European Patent Attorney and do a lot of patent prosecution. I want to move into litigation and more particularly in the US and as a result my decision to go to law school. However, I am just nervous that i might be too old to start law school and whether this is a good decision given my profile (even though i know how the US law firms function with high billables - my billables were high enough for a prosecutor so i am not worried about that front). Is it the right decision or am i too old ? Please any help advise, which would help me clear my dilemma, is most welcome?
I wouldn't worry about age. There'll be several folk in your class around that age, and likely a few that are older.

What's the opportunity cost of three years not working plus the cost of attendance? Can you fund the cost of school, or would you have to borrow -and if so, is lending available to you (assuming you're not a US citizen or permanent resident)?

nomindtrader24

New

Post by nomindtrader24 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:21 pm

albanach wrote:
nomindtrader24 wrote:Hey all - i am currently 34 and will be appearing for the LSAT in June (jeez it's close !). As you would have guessed, as i am taking the LSAT i want to a law school in the US. A bit about my background to supplement the previous info: UnderGrad : BE Electronic Engineering; PostGrad: PhD (Microelectronics). I have completed a three year postdoc and have worked in patent law (4 years) two law firms (a well-know US law firm and a UK based law firm). Lastly, i am qualified European Patent Attorney and do a lot of patent prosecution. I want to move into litigation and more particularly in the US and as a result my decision to go to law school. However, I am just nervous that i might be too old to start law school and whether this is a good decision given my profile (even though i know how the US law firms function with high billables - my billables were high enough for a prosecutor so i am not worried about that front). Is it the right decision or am i too old ? Please any help advise, which would help me clear my dilemma, is most welcome?
I wouldn't worry about age. There'll be several folk in your class around that age, and likely a few that are older.

What's the opportunity cost of three years not working plus the cost of attendance? Can you fund the cost of school, or would you have to borrow -and if so, is lending available to you (assuming you're not a US citizen or permanent resident)?
Thanks for that - i will need to borrow but i don't think I'll have a problem paying back. I know i can borrow. I will be taking my LSATs in June and September/October as i am aiming for scholarship. I am a British citizen so there are funding available in UK as well. Starting at 35 means i will graduate at 38 which still gives me around 30 years to pay back any loan. Most importantly i want to stay in IP law and my experience, in IP at both US and UK/EP firm should give me an edge over other applicants - in terms of admission and financial aid; maybe this is all wishful thinking on my part - i am confused whether my credentials will actually matter during admission (ofcourse a high LSAT score should help my case) or will they just disregard a major part of it in which case i will be wasting a lot of time/money/effort.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Ah, I assumed you had to have an LLB to be a patent attorney; my mistake.

I'll second what albanach said. You're not too old. Just make sure it's a good financial decision for you and make sure you're targeting top schools, since it sounds like you want to have regional flexibility.

nomindtrader24

New

Post by nomindtrader24 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Ah, I assumed you had to have an LLB to be a patent attorney; my mistake.

I'll second what albanach said. You're not too old. Just make sure it's a good financial decision for you and make sure you're targeting top schools, since it sounds like you want to have regional flexibility.
An honest fact- patent attorneys don't make a lot in Europe (especially at my level 4 years) - just to give you an idea a partner (who is a qualified patent attorney - 14 -17 years in the practice - 4 years to qualify and another 10-13 years in practice ) working for a patent law firm (not a full fledged law firm) in UK will be making close to what a 2rd/3rd year associate in a US law firm makes - this is because they only do prosecution and no litigation (litigation in UK is done by barristers and only a handful of patent attorneys) - of course the billables are like less than half but i don't care about that - my billables were good enough anyways) so i will definitely be better off in the US with a JD. Plus, as far as i know, litigation in IP in the US is broader, in that made commercial factors are involved rather than a very narrow view in the EP/UK.

miskellyjohnson

New

Post by miskellyjohnson » Sat May 25, 2019 2:23 pm

For patent work, it is not that uncommon to go grad school -> industry -> agent -> law school, so you do see a fair amount of junior associates in their mid-to-late 30's. Can you get a job as a patent agent in the USA (dont know your paperwork/visa situation). If you can, they will generally sponsor you to do night school and certain firms will sponsor day school, which would probably be a nice path for you. Are you sure you want to do litigation? Being a junior associate on a litigation at late 30's / early 40's may be tough (do you have a family?) but it depends on your family and personal situation.

Bingo_Bongo

Bronze

Post by Bingo_Bongo » Sat May 25, 2019 11:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Ah, I assumed you had to have an LLB to be a patent attorney; my mistake.

The lack of qualifications needed to be an attorney in most European countries astounds me. Yeah, no law degree is needed and the ones who do have law degrees have three year undergraduate degrees. It's def a different way of doing things.

As for your age, OP, I'll agree with what everyone here says. You're definitely not too old. My law school class had plenty of people in their early and mid 30s. Some of them were our top performers, and had no problem blending in socially with everyone else. We even had a few people much older than that (I'm talking late 40s and 50s), and a university professor in her 60s who wanted a JD for some reason (though the ones over 40 I think had a little harder time fitting in with the 22 year olds straight out of frats and sororities, and I also don't think they did as well academically).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhittyJD

New

Post by WhittyJD » Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 am

This is actually inspiring. I graduated law school at 25 and began practicing tax law. Fast forward to today ... I am 37, sick of tax law, and want to relocate to California. So I am studying for the California Bar and switching practice areas. You show that it is never too late.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun May 26, 2019 7:48 pm

My firm (Biglaw NYC) has some patent people who graduated law school around 40. You have the right background. It’s not too late!!!!

RecruiterMan

New

Post by RecruiterMan » Sun May 26, 2019 7:55 pm

I started law school at 35 (as a European with a PhD, albeit a useless one) and really no one gave a shit about my age

nomindtrader24

New

Post by nomindtrader24 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:30 am

miskellyjohnson wrote:For patent work, it is not that uncommon to go grad school -> industry -> agent -> law school, so you do see a fair amount of junior associates in their mid-to-late 30's. Can you get a job as a patent agent in the USA (dont know your paperwork/visa situation). If you can, they will generally sponsor you to do night school and certain firms will sponsor day school, which would probably be a nice path for you. Are you sure you want to do litigation? Being a junior associate on a litigation at late 30's / early 40's may be tough (do you have a family?) but it depends on your family and personal situation.
Thanks for your kind answer. I have a British passport (BREEEXIITTT mess!!) so not sure if i can become a patent agent as one can do that only after receiving a student visa to the US. Yes i would definitely want to work in litigation as it is exciting and having already worked for a US litigator i am aware of the nuances but i want to make it the main focus. I don't have any family commitments yet !

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nomindtrader24

New

Post by nomindtrader24 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:34 am

WhittyJD wrote:This is actually inspiring. I graduated law school at 25 and began practicing tax law. Fast forward to today ... I am 37, sick of tax law, and want to relocate to California. So I am studying for the California Bar and switching practice areas. You show that it is never too late.
Oh this is awesome ! we should definitely connect. What do you want to practice now ? My motivation to go to law school is quite simple - i want to be an IP litigator - that's all ! Maybe this might change given opportunities that might spring up during the course of the next five years but hell i will still ahve more options after doing a law degree in US than anywhere else - for example IP transaction law, contracts, becoming a general counsel etc,. I simply see endless possibilities.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri May 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Normally, I'd say this is a bad idea, but if you have a patent background like the one you have described, that changes the story completely. Employment as a patent attorney is much easier to find due to the number of people eligible to do that work being naturally far more restricted than the general attorney population.

As far as general attorneys that think about going into law as a second career, your previous work background means a lot less than you would think. Most Biglaw firms want fresh fish and easily malleable minds who are willing to take orders and perform long hours of busywork--work experience in non-law fields doesn't really help you do this, and in some case it works against you, such as if you are used to making your own decisions, thinking independently, being your own manager, etc. Also, previous training in business can work against you--the skills and habits you develop when trying to solve problems efficiently in the business world don't translate well into litigation, where the goals are often the exact opposite--how do you take a simple case and engage in all sorts of nonsense and create a ton of busywork just to frustrate the other side (and bill more hours on your own).

The skills and rules you learn between law school graduation and that point where you become a competent attorney are not rocket science, but they are unique to the legal field, so prior work experience doesn't give you much of a leg up. A prior career probably makes you more mature, but after about six years of practice, I'm pretty sure maturity is not considered an asset in this field--especially litigation.

cdsmith

New

Post by cdsmith » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:01 pm

My best friend in law school started at 38. You're never too old for anything as long as it's what you want. You can be 39 with a law degree or without one.

Mccoyology

New

Post by Mccoyology » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:31 pm

Im not working in the Law, but I will be 34 when I start next year. Spent 8 years active duty military and the last 3 years at the Motor Vehicle Administration in Maryland. So with that being said I hope its not too late for you cause im in the same boat.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 pm

I started when I was 33.

I wasn’t even the oldest SA. Plenty of people start their legal careers in their 30s. I even saw some associates that were definitely in their 40s.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”