Large number of CC courses Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Robesone1

New

Large number of CC courses

Post by Robesone1 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:20 am

Throughout my undergrad years, I started taking (non-transferable) community college courses through my local CC for purely recreational purposes. My UG didn’t offer much in the way of law-related or criminal justice-related courses, so it wasn’t hard to take two or three per semester through the CC. Now that I’m looking at applying to law schools, I’ve just found out that these courses will count towards my LSAC GPA. This is good, it seems, because they bring up my 3.7 UG GPA to about a 3.9. However, I’m also worried it may look like an attempt to game the LSAC GPA system. Should I write an addendum explaining that or will it not be a significant issue? My LSAT is a 176 so I’m hoping to apply to schools that I assume will look pretty carefully at my full transcript. Thanks so much!

QContinuum

Re: Large number of CC courses

Post by QContinuum » Tue May 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Robesone1 wrote:Throughout my undergrad years, I started taking (non-transferable) community college courses through my local CC for purely recreational purposes. My UG didn’t offer much in the way of law-related or criminal justice-related courses, so it wasn’t hard to take two or three per semester through the CC. Now that I’m looking at applying to law schools, I’ve just found out that these courses will count towards my LSAC GPA. This is good, it seems, because they bring up my 3.7 UG GPA to about a 3.9. However, I’m also worried it may look like an attempt to game the LSAC GPA system. Should I write an addendum explaining that or will it not be a significant issue? My LSAT is a 176 so I’m hoping to apply to schools that I assume will look pretty carefully at my full transcript. Thanks so much!
I wouldn't worry about it. Especially with your 176 LSAT, and the fact that your non-CC GPA is 3.7, and the fact that your CC classes were law/CJ-related, I don't think adcoms will be overly concerned. My stance might be different if your CC grades were night-and-day better than your non-CC grades, or your CC courses were of the basket-weaving variety and seemed to have no purpose other than to pad your GPA, but that's not remotely the case here.

Congrats on your strong stats. You should do great - just make sure to apply early, apply broadly, and turn in a decent PS and solid LORs, and Bob's your uncle!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”