Help With Recommendations Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cdevolee

New

Help With Recommendations

Post by cdevolee » Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 am

I am having a hard time figuring out which one of my undergrad professors I should ask to write me a recommendation. I had good relationships with all of my professors in college but I don't feel like there is one in particular that got to know me really well. I am also going to be about two years out of undergrad by the time I am applying to law school and am struggling on how to appropriately reach out to a professor from two or three years ago that may or may not remember me well. Looking for any advice from someone who might have been in a similar situation - thank you!!

BAJDMDPHD

New

Re: Help With Recommendations

Post by BAJDMDPHD » Thu May 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi!

As someone who faced similar difficulties with getting letters of recommendation, I would do the following:
1. Have some materials ready for any willing professor to review - these include transcripts, your personal statement, your resume, and any other list of achievements/relevant materials that might be useful for them to know. If the professor didn't really remember you, these can often help jog their memory and give them inspiration for what kinds of things they should include in your letter. Obviously they're not gonna rewrite your PS, but if your PS emphasizes what a hard worker you are, they might talk about how hard working you were in their class (for example).

2. If you have any work saved from your time in their class that you think reflects your ability (i.e. you received high grades on a particular paper or assignment or whatever), you should attach those on there as well. Again, this is another way to remind them about your aptitude and give them some inspiration of what to write on.

3. If at all possible, see if they're willing to meet with you in person to discuss your letter (over a coffee or something). It's often easier to write about someone when you can put a face to a name, rather than them knowing you purely by what's been written in an email/on your resume. This also gives you a good way to gauge whether they'd be a good recommender - if they seem friendly/genuinely want to get to know you, then that seems to indicate that they're going to put more effort into making sure the letter is good.

Also as a side note, remember that even if the letter is just your average, "I had this student they were good I recommend them" type deal, it's not like it'll really hurt you. Your main priority should be making sure that the letter is (a) positive and (b) as specific to you as possible, to make it seem less generic. So while I would be hesitant to get a letter from a professor who seems pretty careless/ambivalent to you, I wouldn't be toooo picky - again, you're not shooting for a "THIS STUDENT WAS THE MOST INCREDIBLE IVE EVER HAD THEY CHANGED MY LIFE I WOULD DIE FOR THEM" (although if you can get one of those, that's awesome), you just really want something more than "meh".

As an additional side note, don't be afraid to ask someone aside from a "professor professor" - my LOR writers weren't the most ~~credentialed~~ individuals, but I knew they would write very glowing letters about me, and my cycle ended up about as good as I could've hoped for my numbers (and possibly even better than maybe I should've expected).

Best of luck!

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: Help With Recommendations

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sat May 18, 2019 11:29 am

I’d add that professors love prestige, and are often flattered to be asked to write an LOR because it’s a sign of respect. Some may find them annoying, but most would be happy to. You want someone who knows you pretty well so it is less generic, and more personal.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”