Should I retake and reapply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ralphthewrecker

New

Should I retake and reapply?

Post by ralphthewrecker » Sat May 11, 2019 6:23 pm

I am currently considering waiting out a cycle, but have a few concerns over doing so. I had been averaging about a 167 over my last 20 PT's, but a good amount of these were older tests (in the 40s or 50s). I maxed out at about 172 twice and was sparingly in the low 160's. Only 3 of these 20 were below my goal score of a 165 or better. I scored a 164 on the November LSAT and really struggled on the reading comprehension section. This tended to be what was holding me back the most in PT's, as well. I never felt like I had control over this area and knew that my score could be almost anywhere after I finished RC. Though my RC score on the actual test was lower than what I was used to, my inability to improve on this section has made me fearful of going for a retake. Between the many PT's I took and books I read, I also feel like I have run out of material to use. I never took a class, but it appears that these classes were not beneficial for many people.

I currently have a full ride to a T1 school that I am heavily considering attending. It is a regional school, but it is next door to my home state. I would preferably have more flexibility in where I can work after LS, but all signs point to me being stuck in the state I am going to school in, or returning to my home state at the very best. I already took a year off after UG and studied 2-3 hours a day for about 4-5 months. The thought of taking another year off is not ideal, though I do have a job (a lower-paying one: $40k/year). I am not thrilled about the idea of big-law, but I am hoping to have a good shot at a medium sized firm and perhaps the possibility of one day going in-house. The flexibility of location is likely my main concern, as this is something I do not have. Given these details, would you consider a retake, or should I be content with where I am at?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: Should I retake and reapply?

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 am

ralphthewrecker wrote:I am currently considering waiting out a cycle, but have a few concerns over doing so. I had been averaging about a 167 over my last 20 PT's, but a good amount of these were older tests (in the 40s or 50s). I maxed out at about 172 twice and was sparingly in the low 160's. Only 3 of these 20 were below my goal score of a 165 or better. I scored a 164 on the November LSAT and really struggled on the reading comprehension section. This tended to be what was holding me back the most in PT's, as well. I never felt like I had control over this area and knew that my score could be almost anywhere after I finished RC. Though my RC score on the actual test was lower than what I was used to, my inability to improve on this section has made me fearful of going for a retake. Between the many PT's I took and books I read, I also feel like I have run out of material to use. I never took a class, but it appears that these classes were not beneficial for many people.

I currently have a full ride to a T1 school that I am heavily considering attending. It is a regional school, but it is next door to my home state. I would preferably have more flexibility in where I can work after LS, but all signs point to me being stuck in the state I am going to school in, or returning to my home state at the very best. I already took a year off after UG and studied 2-3 hours a day for about 4-5 months. The thought of taking another year off is not ideal, though I do have a job (a lower-paying one: $40k/year). I am not thrilled about the idea of big-law, but I am hoping to have a good shot at a medium sized firm and perhaps the possibility of one day going in-house. The flexibility of location is likely my main concern, as this is something I do not have. Given these details, would you consider a retake, or should I be content with where I am at?
Given, your career goals, a full ride to a t1 with no stips is fine assuming you don't need location flexibility. If you do, you want a t14 but I'm not sure debt is worth it for your goals. RC is the most difficult section to improve on (but not impossible). Progress just happens more slowly. Would a 167-170 prob get you a large scholly to t-14's? Something to bare in mind is that once you start practicing law, you won't have universal mobility beyond maybe returning to your home city.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sun May 12, 2019 5:47 pm

I still don't think OP's goals are that likely out of a T1. It's about equally difficult to get Midlaw as Biglaw out of law school, and going in house usually requires working in midlaw or biglaw. I think when someone says they don't want to work biglaw but would like midlaw or in house, it usually means they imagine a 6 figure salary out of law school with good work life balance. I don't think t1 schools neccessarily set one up the best for that. I don't know what OP's GOA is or what market they are targeting to pin down for sure that they should retake, but the goals do indicate some caution should be taken.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sun May 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Wubbles wrote:I still don't think OP's goals are that likely out of a T1. It's about equally difficult to get Midlaw as Biglaw out of law school, and going in house usually requires working in midlaw or biglaw. I think when someone says they don't want to work biglaw but would like midlaw or in house, it usually means they imagine a 6 figure salary out of law school with good work life balance. I don't think t1 schools neccessarily set one up the best for that. I don't know what OP's GOA is or what market they are targeting to pin down for sure that they should retake, but the goals do indicate some caution should be taken.
Yeah but I think it's likely OP boosts up to a 168 and is not necessarily in a markedly better place. With a 171, waiting is a no brainer but it depends how much effort OP can devote to studying. On second thought though, I agree waiting is probably a better move. The downside is a 168 won't necessarily create better options for OP's goals. I think with a lot of money to a t-14, it's worthwhile but I'm assuming OP had a gpa above t-14 gpa's. Otherwise, they may be looking at near sticker vs a full ride to a local regional. T-14's don't necessarily give you better odds for the kinds of firms they want, because they may not be recruiting from law schools whereas regional firms will recruit from regional schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”