Already paid deposit, how to rescind my acceptance Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
srg1027

New

Already paid deposit, how to rescind my acceptance

Post by srg1027 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:24 pm

Paid deposit to Brooklyn Law already (not sure if this even means I accepted the admission), but got a scholarship increase from Cardozo which I plan on accepting.

Who do I email from Brooklyn to let them know I will be accepting and attending Cardozo, what do I specifically say, and are there any consequences I should be accepting from this action? I do not plan on getting the seat deposit back, but is there anything else I should be expecting?

SlipperyKipper

Re: Already paid deposit, how to rescind my acceptance

Post by SlipperyKipper » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:22 pm

srg1027 wrote:Paid deposit to Brooklyn Law already (not sure if this even means I accepted the admission), but got a scholarship increase from Cardozo which I plan on accepting.

Who do I email from Brooklyn to let them know I will be accepting and attending Cardozo, what do I specifically say, and are there any consequences I should be accepting from this action? I do not plan on getting the seat deposit back, but is there anything else I should be expecting?
You paid the seat deposit, which means you accepted the offer of admission and signaled your intent to the school that you will enroll. Have you been corresponding with anyone in particular from Brooklyn admissions? If so, I would reach out to them and notify them of your decision to withdraw from Brooklyn. If you don't have a specific contact, I would send an email to the general Brooklyn Law admissions email address. I would include in the email that you have put your seat deposit down, but would like to withdraw yourself from further consideration as a member of Brooklyn's Class of 2022. It doesn't need to be anything lengthy or detailed, just let them know concisely that you have decided to go in a different direction and thank them for their time.

The only consequence you can expect is you have most likely lost that money. But that is fairly common, people lose their seat deposits when they get off the wait list at a school they'd rather go to or, as in your case, receive more scholarship money.

Bubbles1012

Bronze

Post by Bubbles1012 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:43 am

I would send a letter saying, “Thank you for your consideration. I was looking forward to joining the Class of x, however, I have received an increased scholarship offer from Cardozo and can no longer justify the cost of attendance based on this new development.” If you would still rather attend Brooklyn, you should use this opportunity to see if they will match Cardozo’s offer. Let them know you will not be enrolling if that is not a possibility.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat May 04, 2019 7:47 pm

SlipperyKipper wrote:You paid the seat deposit, which means you accepted the offer of admission and signaled your intent to the school that you will enroll. Have you been corresponding with anyone in particular from Brooklyn admissions? If so, I would reach out to them and notify them of your decision to withdraw from Brooklyn. If you don't have a specific contact, I would send an email to the general Brooklyn Law admissions email address. I would include in the email that you have put your seat deposit down, but would like to withdraw yourself from further consideration as a member of Brooklyn's Class of 2022. It doesn't need to be anything lengthy or detailed, just let them know concisely that you have decided to go in a different direction and thank them for their time.

The only consequence you can expect is you have most likely lost that money. But that is fairly common, people lose their seat deposits when they get off the wait list at a school they'd rather go to or, as in your case, receive more scholarship money.
I second my fellow mod's view above. OP, you'll be fine so long as you're professional and courteous. It's not at all uncommon for students to renege post-deposit, but - absent unique and compelling circumstances - you should not expect to get your deposit back (though it doesn't hurt to recheck the terms you agreed to when you paid the deposit).

I don't think there's a specific need for OP to spell out that they "can no longer justify the cost of attendance" at Brooklyn. IMO, doing so would honestly be a bit rude. Brooklyn will assume that OP is reneging because they got into a better school or a better scholly at a comparable school. No need to rub it in. No need to mention Cardozo at all, actually. If BLS' admissions office wants to know, they will reach out to OP to ask, and OP can then respond that they will be matriculating at Cardozo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”