Questions to ask a Law Professor Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pinoeshair

New

Questions to ask a Law Professor

Post by pinoeshair » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:12 am

I'm an undergrad student majoring in Legal Studies, and one of my former professors is also a professor at our law school. She's highly accomplished and studied under Obama when she was a student at UChicago, which is pretty cool.

I've taken the LSAT and am planning on applying to law schools in the fall. I want to meet with her to ask her some questions about law school (both the application process and the experience), but I'm not sure what questions to ask that would be the most helpful for me, and I don't particularly want to just go in there with "what advice do you have?"

Does anyone have any suggestions or questions you've asked mentors/professors that turned out to be important or surprising? I definitely don't want her to feel like I'm wasting her time, so I'd like to go in well-prepared.

Thanks in advance!

objctnyrhnr

Re: Questions to ask a Law Professor

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:18 am

“Can you tell me in a nutshell what separates the A- exams from the b+ exams, and the b+ exams from the B exams?”

This assumes she teaches at least one standard doctrinal class with issue spotter final (typical of 1L).

JHP

Bronze

Re: Questions to ask a Law Professor

Post by JHP » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 am

You should step back and think about what a law professor (as well as this particular, specific professor you'll meet with) can speak to when it comes to the law school experience.

If she teaches at a law school you'd like to apply to, you could ask some general questions about the school that she might know (just remember, she's not an admissions rep, so don't ask her procedural admissions questions she isn't involved with (unless she's on the admissions council)) and about any clinics she may teach. Obviously, buff up on what classes she teaches so you get a sense of what kind of law she teaches.

Basic questions you should ask are: what are some common mistakes or missteps you see your students make? What are some ways that students can succeed and stand out in law school classes? From your role, what are things that you think make [name of law school she teaches at] unique?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”