What school for international law (trade and sanction) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
silvio2020

New

What school for international law (trade and sanction)

Post by silvio2020 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:41 pm

What are some good law schools that feed into international organizations or law firms with a focus on international trade?
Ultimately, I wanna work in a position that involves law, geopolitics, and geoeconomics. An economic sanction is the first thing that comes up in my mind. Trump war against China (and WTO) would be another example of illustrating my interest.

Please note that I am a splitter. Is Fordham or GW worth applying given the reputation of being "trap schools"?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: What school for international law (trade and sanction)

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:16 pm

silvio2020 wrote:An economic sanction is the first thing that comes up in my mind. Trump war against China (and WTO) would be another example of illustrating my interest.
I'm really confused by this. Are you interested in studying sanctions? In issuing them? Challenging them? Advising companies on how to work with them?

Regardless, firms and IGOs/NGOs that work on international trade issues are going to be among the most competitive jobs to get, even from a top school. Fordham and GW are not going to cut it. The good news is that if your real interest is in policy, you don't need a legal degree.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:49 pm

silvio2020 wrote: I wanna work in a position that involves law, geopolitics, and geoeconomics.
Is there a specific person you know of whose job you'd want? Like cav said, the space you're talking about is dominated by politicians and policy wonks, not lawyers. Getting a JD to be an ambassador makes about as much sense as enlisting in the Navy in order to become President.

Mockingbird42

New

Post by Mockingbird42 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:20 am

This (legal) work is actually mostly done in firms or US gov't. W/in the US gov't, sanctions is handled by OFAC and trade policy is split between the USTR (where all of the fun stuff happens) and the DOC (which handles trade remedies, like antidumping investigations). There is also CFIUS, which blocks FDI in the US if it violates national security interests.

Its not completely unicorn-y but it is pretty much DC-exclusive so you would need to be able to set yourself up for getting DC biglaw, which means either AT LEAST above median at a T14 school or very very top of a T1. Of the two options you mentioned, I would recommend GW over Fordham (whose strong biglaw placement is limited to NYC), but only if you are given substantial money and going in with eyes wide open that you have a very real chance of not getting anything. Because trade is fairly niche as well, trade law professors may have some pull in the area.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions on this area of law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”