Advice for friend: 170 LSAT/2.65 GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cam1992

New

Advice for friend: 170 LSAT/2.65 GPA

Post by cam1992 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 pm

Note: I am posting for a friend.

My friend is an extreme splitter (170 LSAT, 2.65 GPA). Does she stand a chance for a school like UoH, Tulane, Baylor or SMU? Finances aren’t the biggest issue, but $$ would be helpful. She is only interested in working in Texas (preferably Houston or Dallas) or New Orleans (she knows this is a tough market). If she can raise her LSAT (the 170 was a first time score with basically zero studying), would UT be an option? Also, should she include an addendum explaining her poor undergrad GPA. She has a pretty inspiring story about overcoming severe depression and substance abuse. Will the fact that she went to a top 10 liberal arts college mitigate the poor GPA at all? Thanks!

hoosier41

New

Re: Advice for friend: 169 LSAT/2.65 GPA

Post by hoosier41 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:58 pm

cam1992 wrote:Note: I am posting for a friend.

My friend is an extreme splitter (170 LSAT, 2.65 GPA). Does she stand a chance for a school like UoH, Tulane, Baylor or SMU? Finances aren’t the biggest issue, but $$ would be helpful. She is only interested in working in Texas (preferably Houston or Dallas) or New Orleans (she knows this is a tough market). If she can raise her LSAT (the 169 was a first time score with basically zero studying), would UT be an option? Also, should she include an addendum explaining her poor undergrad GPA. She has a pretty inspiring story about overcoming severe depression and substance abuse. Will the fact that she went to a top 10 liberal arts college mitigate the poor GPA at all? Thanks!
I can't speak to the other schools because I didn't apply, but she has a shot at Tulane. I was in a similar position (good LSAT, terrible GPA), wrote an addendum explaining my GPA, and was waitlisted at Tulane. I eventually got in off the waitlist and attended at sticker price.

QContinuum

Re: Advice for friend: 170 LSAT/2.65 GPA

Post by QContinuum » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:17 pm

cam1992 wrote:Note: I am posting for a friend.

My friend is an extreme splitter (170 LSAT, 2.65 GPA). Does she stand a chance for a school like UoH, Tulane, Baylor or SMU? Finances aren’t the biggest issue, but $$ would be helpful. She is only interested in working in Texas (preferably Houston or Dallas) or New Orleans (she knows this is a tough market). If she can raise her LSAT (the 170 was a first time score with basically zero studying), would UT be an option? Also, should she include an addendum explaining her poor undergrad GPA. She has a pretty inspiring story about overcoming severe depression and substance abuse. Will the fact that she went to a top 10 liberal arts college mitigate the poor GPA at all? Thanks!
I'd actually suggest that your friend set her sights a little higher. While she will likely have an unpredictable cycle, her very strong LSAT should give her a reasonable shot at UT. See below:
I suggest she apply to at least UVA, NW, Georgetown, UT and WUSTL. WUSTL with $100k would be an incredible outcome, certainly better than UofH, Tulane, Baylor, or SMU.

(Thought process in setting my MyLSN ranges: Extreme splitters are relatively rare, so I wanted to widen the range a bit to draw in additional relevant datapoints. Sub-3.0 GPAs are treated similarly, so I took GPAs from 2.5 all the way up through 2.99. I set LSAT cutoff at 168, which is UT's LSAT 75th. Anything over the 75th should be treated fairly similarly.)

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 pm

QContinuum wrote: (Thought process in setting my MyLSN ranges: Extreme splitters are relatively rare, so I wanted to widen the range a bit to draw in additional relevant datapoints. Sub-3.0 GPAs are treated similarly, so I took GPAs from 2.5 all the way up through 2.99. I set LSAT cutoff at 168, which is UT's LSAT 75th. Anything over the 75th should be treated fairly similarly.)
I agree with QContinuum. If tuition wasn't an obstacle, I'd consider ED to UVA, particularly if they had any UvA friendly softs like military service.

I say that only because I fear a recession and a T14 spot, while certainly not recession proof, is at least a hedge against it. And UVA places fine into TX.

Other than that, yes $100k to WUSTL would be a great outcome for an extreme splitter.

If they can raise their LSAT by another four of points, it night help a little but only insomuch as it shows ability and determination in the individual. As pointed out above, generally when you pass the 75th percentile it doesn't change much.

jsnow212

Bronze

Post by jsnow212 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:08 pm

albanach wrote:
QContinuum wrote: (Thought process in setting my MyLSN ranges: Extreme splitters are relatively rare, so I wanted to widen the range a bit to draw in additional relevant datapoints. Sub-3.0 GPAs are treated similarly, so I took GPAs from 2.5 all the way up through 2.99. I set LSAT cutoff at 168, which is UT's LSAT 75th. Anything over the 75th should be treated fairly similarly.)
I agree with QContinuum. If tuition wasn't an obstacle, I'd consider ED to UVA, particularly if they had any UvA friendly softs like military service.

I say that only because I fear a recession and a T14 spot, while certainly not recession proof, is at least a hedge against it. And UVA places fine into TX.

Other than that, yes $100k to WUSTL would be a great outcome for an extreme splitter.

If they can raise their LSAT by another four of points, it night help a little but only insomuch as it shows ability and determination in the individual. As pointed out above, generally when you pass the 75th percentile it doesn't change much.
Seconded.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”