c+f issue after acceptance: will my offer be rescinded?? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mynameislone

New

c+f issue after acceptance: will my offer be rescinded??

Post by mynameislone » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:31 pm

I had an issue in undergrad at my old school where I spent only one semester. I got a verbal warning but a report was also generated with a resolution but this was after I withdrew due to family issues. The resolution was sent to my email which I did not have access to due to transferring out. The issue was told to me when I asked for my dean certification.

Now I answered no on two schools that wrote this as more than a verbal issue and one acceptance is where I intend to enroll. I also have most of my schools pending, and will send an addendum. How do I update the schools where I already have an acceptance at, are my offers going g to be rescinded??

UVA2B

Gold

Re: c+f issue after acceptance: will my offer be rescinded??

Post by UVA2B » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:42 pm

Contact admissions. Send your explanatory addendum. Admissions C&F is just establishing the baseline of your eventual bar admission (or screening if you’ll never pass a bar C&F).

Edit: and no, acceptances won’t be rescinded.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Though are u sure the verbal warning didn’t trigger a yes answer to this question?

mynameislone

New

Post by mynameislone » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:49 pm

mvp99 wrote:Though are u sure the verbal warning didn’t trigger a yes answer to this question?
“Yes because the app said anything more than a verbal warning”

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:09 am

mynameislone wrote:
mvp99 wrote:Though are u sure the verbal warning didn’t trigger a yes answer to this question?
I wouldn't play this game, but you could just say you were unaware that you were subjected to academic discipline because of the e-mail issue. I would disclose this in a concisely written paragraph, and I'd probably call admissions to speak to someone before sending it to provide context. Treat the written statement as though someone from C&F will be reading it in 4 years and comparing it side by side against the dean's certification.

Contrary to what another poster said, it is conceivable that a C&F issue will matter more to a law school than to the C&F committee and vice versa. While schools don't want to admit students who cannot pass C&F, C&F tends to be primarily concerned with admitting those who pose a risk to clients (i.e. a history of mishandling a client's/company's funds) and those who can embarass the legal profession. For example, if someone with 2 previous DWI's shows up to court drunk, the department that admitted the individual looks very bad.

Conversely, you could have circumstances that matter more to a particular school than to the C&F committee. For instance, being suspended or expelled from college for plagiarism or cheating may not bar or even significantly delay someone from being admitted to C&F, but it's unlikely that schools with stricter ethical standards would admit an individual. No one can predict what impact your disclosure would have, but it's certainly easier to disclose it now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:16 am

mynameislone wrote:
I second the advice to not play that game.

But even your description makes it clear it was more than a verbal warning. You said that the school sent you an official, written record, and that the only reason you didn't receive it is that it was sent to the wrong e-mail. That's not a verbal warning anymore, and it likely needs to be disclosed to all your schools. But it at least needs to be disclosed to schools where you have been admitted and/or intend to keep your application open.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
mynameislone wrote:
I second the advice to not play that game.

But even your description makes it clear it was more than a verbal warning. You said that the school sent you an official, written record, and that the only reason you didn't receive it is that it was sent to the wrong e-mail. That's not a verbal warning anymore, and it likely needs to be disclosed to all your schools. But it at least needs to be disclosed to schools where you have been admitted and/or intend to keep your application open.
Yes, although all of your applications need to be accurate and are retained by LSAC (and are thus possible to be reviewed at any time), the app you submitted to the school you attend is going to get the most attention. If you disclose it to this school, you'd likely be good to go. The longer you wait, the more of an issue it will be.

The reality is that if you marked no for academic discipline on your law school app, and mark yes on your bar exam app, the discrepancy is going to be very pronounced and very likely to come up. 9 times out of 10, this would be a much bigger issue than the conduct itself. C&F can be very forgiving of conduct in your early 20s when you're young and rash, but may interpret the discrepancy as evidence of calculated dishonesty. Whether or not it is, is irrelevant because nobody has to objectively prove you acted with intent. It boils down to whether a small number of people feel you're trustworthy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”