Part Time Course Load Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lyle

New

Part Time Course Load

Post by Lyle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I would like to apply to a T10 law school down the road. However I will be taking a part-time course load at a local college (for my Associate's degree) of 1-3 courses for the foreseeable future. I plan to transfer to a university where again my course load may be 1-3 courses. Perhaps down the road in finishing my undergrad I can take 5 courses but I need to pay the bills and work a side job. How would a top law school view my application if they see a part-time course load for the majority of my undergrad career? What are my options?

Also, I have had a few Fs and Withdrawals from some of my courses. How is this viewed . . . or can I make up for this by doing well in the future? Do law schools take away a bad year (30 credits) from their calculations in reviewing applicant files?

Thanks.

cavalier1138

Re: Part Time Course Load

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:44 pm

Lyle wrote:How would a top law school view my application if they see a part-time course load for the majority of my undergrad career?
They won't care.
Lyle wrote:Also, I have had a few Fs and Withdrawals from some of my courses. How is this viewed . . . or can I make up for this by doing well in the future? Do law schools take away a bad year (30 credits) from their calculations in reviewing applicant files?
This will be a problem, depending on how many Fs you have. If the withdrawals are non-punitive, don't sweat those. But your overall undergraduate GPA is the number that matters. And even a single F can seriously affect your GPA. So if you ultimately want to go to law school (and I urge you to slow your roll, because you're starting to think about this way too early), don't get any more of those.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”