T14 schools with non-URM diversity boost? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kiwilaw

New

T14 schools with non-URM diversity boost?

Post by Kiwilaw » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:19 am

Hello,

I was wondering if non-URM diversity matters at all at the T14, and if there were perhaps some schools that were known for valuing this more. Im a US citizen, but grew up in New Zealand, with a NZ accent, etc. I'm also of middle eastern decent.

Of course I'm sure this matters little when compared to numbers (and getting above a school's median). But since I'm a splitter, I see around half of those with my stats are accepted/rejected at most of the T14 - which means other factors are coming into play here.

Anyone have any idea?

cavalier1138

Re: T14 schools with non-URM diversity boost?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:23 am

There is no such thing, with the possible exception of first-generation students.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:03 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:There is no such thing, with the possible exception of first-generation students.
LGBT status may also confer a "soft" boost, I think.

But broadly, expect to perform roughly in line as MyLSN predicts for non-URMs with your LSAC GPA & LSAT score. Don't expect to significantly "outperform" your numbers.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:52 pm

did you go to school in New Zealand? If so, yes, that's a boost. If not, then not.

Kiwilaw

New

Post by Kiwilaw » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 am

FND wrote:did you go to school in New Zealand? If so, yes, that's a boost. If not, then not.
I went to uni in the US.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:46 pm

Kiwilaw wrote:
FND wrote:did you go to school in New Zealand? If so, yes, that's a boost. If not, then not.
I went to uni in the US.
tie-breaker, at best (i.e. if you're on par with another candidate, it might be an edge, but it won't boost you over even marginally better candidates)

Basically, non-urm diversity for being foreign generally requires having a foreign degree

Kiwilaw

New

Post by Kiwilaw » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:02 pm

FND wrote:
Kiwilaw wrote:
I went to uni in the US.
tie-breaker, at best (i.e. if you're on par with another candidate, it might be an edge, but it won't boost you over even marginally better candidates)

Basically, non-urm diversity for being foreign generally requires having a foreign degree
I do have a masters from NZ though!

Thanks for the advice though, I can see that there's not really much there for non-URM diversity.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Kiwilaw wrote:I do have a masters from NZ though!
That could be a nice soft. But again, it won't make a big difference. Don't expect to outperform your numbers

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”