When does the differenxe between degree vs lsac GPA become problemati Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nicole1994

New

When does the differenxe between degree vs lsac GPA become problemati

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 am

What is the cutoff...if there's like more than a 1.0 GPA difference ine two( overall GPA higher by 1.5) might that be an issue?

nixy

Gold

Re: When does the differenxe between degree vs lsac GPA become problemati

Post by nixy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:35 am

There isn’t an issue. The LSAC gpa is the one that matters.

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:04 pm

nixy wrote:There isn’t an issue. The LSAC gpa is the one that matters.
^cool. and that's the case even if the gpa from my degree granting institution are lower overall (but upward trend late) than gpa from junior college?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Adcomms will see all your grades and in extreme cases/on the margins a huge difference might raise red flags. But the LSAC gpa is what they report for ranking purposes, so it’s what has the most value. Assuming no issues with the rest of your app they’re not going to care. If you have other red flags that suggest you’re going to struggle at their school and you’re a borderline candidate, it might give them pause. But 99% of the time it won’t make a difference.

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:05 pm

sry, but would a 1.0-1.5 difference be a "huge difference " in their eyes ..

and i have one other red flag (like 8 W's consecutively but after that none..was so not ready to attend school for one semester due to illness but was forced to attend by parents) ..but i am thinking that if i only apply to schools were my gpa is close to their median or right at it, this might not be a big issue.

nixy wrote:Adcomms will see all your grades and in extreme cases/on the margins a huge difference might raise red flags. But the LSAC gpa is what they report for ranking purposes, so it’s what has the most value. Assuming no issues with the rest of your app they’re not going to care. If you have other red flags that suggest you’re going to struggle at their school and you’re a borderline candidate, it might give them pause. But 99% of the time it won’t make a difference.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:17 pm

nixy wrote:Adcomms will see all your grades and in extreme cases/on the margins a huge difference might raise red flags. But the LSAC gpa is what they report for ranking purposes, so it’s what has the most value. Assuming no issues with the rest of your app they’re not going to care. If you have other red flags that suggest you’re going to struggle at their school and you’re a borderline candidate, it might give them pause. But 99% of the time it won’t make a difference.
I believe nixy's talking about situations like where, hypothetically, you had straight As all through college up until your last semester, and then in your last semester you ended up with straight Cs. Your LSAC GPA might still be okay, but unless you write a GPA addendum to explain that string of Cs, adcoms might pause to question that cliff-edge drop in performance.
nicole1994 wrote:and i have one other red flag (like 8 W's consecutively but after that none..was so not ready to attend school for one semester due to illness but was forced to attend by parents) ..but i am thinking that if i only apply to schools were my gpa is close to their median or right at it, this might not be a big issue.
Ws shouldn't be factored into LSAC GPA (or your school GPA for that matter), unless they are punitive W/Fs. Assuming they are "typical" nonpunitive Ws, then just write a GPA addendum noting your illness that semester and pointing out your otherwise consistent performance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”