University of Arkansas Fayetteville Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wannabelawdawg

New

University of Arkansas Fayetteville

Post by Wannabelawdawg » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:54 am

I was curious if anyone could shed some light about the University of Arkansas- Fayetteville’s reputation in Arkansas, Texas, and Tennessee.

I took the LSAT and have a less than average score, however my GPA is higher than the median. I am applying to Arkansas and have potential to get in.

How does Fayetteville compare to Little Rock’s law school?

Thank you all in advance!

QContinuum

Re: University of Arkansas Fayetteville

Post by QContinuum » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Out of Arkansas - Fayetteville, you have an almost 1 in 3 chance of not securing a full-time, permanent job as a lawyer. (I'm not talking about a 1 in 3 chance of not securing a six-figure job, or a job in "BigLaw", or a "prestigious" job... I'm talking about a 1 in 3 chance of striking out of the practice of law.) Even if you do secure a full-time, permanent legal job, you then again have an almost 1 in 3 chance of working as a solo practitioner (i.e., hanging your own shingle) or at a tiny firm (2-10 lawyers) - either way, you should expect a starting salary in the low-mid five figures (and if you're a solo, you're likely to start out operating in the red, considering startup costs and the lack of an established reputation and client base). Those should be sobering figures.

Outside of the T20, law schools generally place only in their local market. Don't expect Arkansas - Fayetteville to be an exception. If you want to practice law in Texas or Tennessee, you should attend law school in one of those states. You should only attend law school in Arkansas if you want to practice law in Arkansas - and if your goals and risk tolerance are commensurate with Arkansas - Fayetteville's job placement record.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”