Seat Deposits Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
srg1027

New

Seat Deposits

Post by srg1027 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi all,

So I was recently accepted to two schools (Brooklyn and Cardozo) and waiting on two more (St. Johns and Fordham) and upon being accepted I was notified there is a seat deposit due Apr 15 for both schools. I was wondering if these are serious, meaning, will my seat be given up if I do not pay this on time.
Also, is the seat deposit refundable?
Lastly, I want to negotiate my scholarships (Brooklyn I am $7,000 a year short of a full ride and for Cardozo I am getting 25K a year which I want to raise) so I was wondering if this negotiation would have to be done before the seat deposit gets paid.

THANK YOU

SlipperyKipper

Re: Seat Deposits

Post by SlipperyKipper » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Hello,

The April 15th seat deposit deadline is common. The seat deposit signals your intent to the school that you would like to attend. Though I am not certain about how hard and fast the deadlines are at Brooklyn and Cardozo, I would treat all deadlines as serious cutoffs. If you intend to go to X school, be sure your seat deposit has been paid before the deadline or you risk losing your seat.

As for the scholarship negotiations, I began mine at the beginning of this month so that I would have a good idea of all my scholarship offers before I put down a seat deposit. I think the earlier you start this process, the better, as we are coming to the end of March and getting closer to seat deposit time.

QContinuum

Re: Seat Deposits

Post by QContinuum » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm

SlipperyKipper wrote:Hello,

The April 15th seat deposit deadline is common. The seat deposit signals your intent to the school that you would like to attend. Though I am not certain about how hard and fast the deadlines are at Brooklyn and Cardozo, I would treat all deadlines as serious cutoffs. If you intend to go to X school, be sure your seat deposit has been paid before the deadline or you risk losing your seat.

As for the scholarship negotiations, I began mine at the beginning of this month so that I would have a good idea of all my scholarship offers before I put down a seat deposit. I think the earlier you start this process, the better, as we are coming to the end of March and getting closer to seat deposit time.
Seconding the above. Seat deposit deadlines are "hard" and should be taken 100% seriously. Unless you negotiate with the admissions office in advance of the deadline to give you an extension (and I'm not sure how much success you'd have with this, especially since an April 15th deadline is so common and by no means unusual or "early"), you should assume that if you don't pay the deposit by the deadline, your seat will be gone immediately.

If I recall correctly, I also believe most law schools only allow you to deposit at a single school. Depositing at more than one school could lead to all of your admissions offers being rescinded and your deposits being forfeited. This is school-specific, though, so it's possible Brooklyn/Cardozo are exceptions to the "single seat deposit" general rule. Their websites should contain the necessary information. (The single seat deposit rule does not block you from depositing at a school while remaining on one or more waitlists.)

You may simply have to pay a deposit at Brooklyn/Cardozo and then, if you get into Fordham later in the summer and want to attend, forfeit your deposit. This is very common and unfortunately there's really no way to prevent it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”