U of H salary prospects Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nicole1994

New

Re: U of H salary prospects

Post by nicole1994 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 pm

U can delete the nicole1994 account if you haven't deleted one already .

Again, getting into a certain school would be great if everyone could get into one...why not go to whatever school u can go to if it is with minimal debt, especially if your GPA is close to that schools 75th percentile.

Anyway, I'll probably come back to this topic after I get my final GPA/ lsat score....

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:21 pm

nicole1994 wrote:U can delete the nicole1994 account if you haven't deleted one already .

Again, getting into a certain school would be great if everyone could get into one...why not go to whatever school u can go to if it is with minimal debt, especially if your GPA is close to that schools 75th percentile.

Anyway, I'll probably come back to this topic after I get my final GPA/ lsat score....
People aren't necessarily saying "don't go to UH" they are saying "don't go to UH expecting big fed/law." You can justify going to UH, but do so based on the reasonable expectations of going to UH. or don't go.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:14 pm

Auxilio wrote:People aren't necessarily saying "don't go to UH" they are saying "don't go to UH expecting big fed/law." You can justify going to UH, but do so based on the reasonable expectations of going to UH. or don't go.
Auxilio is right on the money here. UH is a good, solid law school. It's the second-best law school in Texas after UT (albeit a distant second), and benefits from its location in Houston, Texas' biggest legal market. It's well worth attending at certain price points, for certain goals. But it's not a good idea to go to UH planning on landing BigFed or BigLaw, as neither outcome is likely (possible, but not likely).
nicole1994 wrote:Again, getting into a certain school would be great if everyone could get into one...why not go to whatever school u can go to if it is with minimal debt, especially if your GPA is close to that schools 75th percentile.
Contrary to rumor, the majority view on TLS has never been "T14 or bust." Obviously not every 0L can (or even should) attend the T14/T20. But it's important to be realistic about the typical outcomes out of a T2 law school. We haven't been shy about advising 0Ls to attend a T1/T2 law school when that seems to be the option that best fits their needs and goals.
nicole1994 wrote:U can delete the nicole1994 account if you haven't deleted one already .
I had banned the aniston account earlier today but if you want to switch to that one, let me know here (or PM me) and I'll lift the ban on aniston and ban the nicole1994 account.

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:06 pm

^ but aren't the chances of securing DOJ after biglaw as opposed to right out of school essentially the same as landing top 10% in law school to get DOJ/anything bigfed
QContinuum wrote:
Auxilio wrote:People aren't necessarily saying "don't go to UH" they are saying "don't go to UH expecting big fed/law." You can justify going to UH, but do so based on the reasonable expectations of going to UH. or don't go.
Auxilio is right on the money here. UH is a good, solid law school. It's the second-best law school in Texas after UT (albeit a distant second), and benefits from its location in Houston, Texas' biggest legal market. It's well worth attending at certain price points, for certain goals. But it's not a good idea to go to UH planning on landing BigFed or BigLaw, as neither outcome is likely (possible, but not likely).
nicole1994 wrote:Again, getting into a certain school would be great if everyone could get into one...why not go to whatever school u can go to if it is with minimal debt, especially if your GPA is close to that schools 75th percentile.
Contrary to rumor, the majority view on TLS has never been "T14 or bust." Obviously not every 0L can (or even should) attend the T14/T20. But it's important to be realistic about the typical outcomes out of a T2 law school. We haven't been shy about advising 0Ls to attend a T1/T2 law school when that seems to be the option that best fits their needs and goals.
I had banned the aniston account earlier today but if you want to switch to that one, let me know here (or PM me) and I'll lift the ban on aniston and ban the nicole1994 account.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:11 pm

nicole1994 wrote:^ but aren't the chances of securing DOJ after biglaw as opposed to right out of school essentially the same as landing top 10% in law school to get DOJ/anything bigfed
I don't understand the question. Which school are we assuming you go to in this hypothetical? And which hypothetical firm are you trying to lateral to DOJ from?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:38 pm

well i only asked that question bc someone (cant remember who) said that even if you don't get top grades at a t14, someone might still have a shot at bigfed because those schools lead to biglaw employment opportunities which bigfed looks for.

as for the question i just asked, i was thinking of a school like SMU, BC, fordham, or U of illinois. they might be ranked differently from each other, but those were the schools i was thinking of.

as for the firm, i don't know as i didn't know the type of firm would matter..let's say the kind of firm an average student form georgetown or cornell would be able to work at(if i get into one of them, and perform better than average..obviously that is a story for a different day which i can't ask about right now).

cavalier1138 wrote:
nicole1994 wrote:^ but aren't the chances of securing DOJ after biglaw as opposed to right out of school essentially the same as landing top 10% in law school to get DOJ/anything bigfed
I don't understand the question. Which school are we assuming you go to in this hypothetical? And which hypothetical firm are you trying to lateral to DOJ from?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”