Is it worth the time to be a Teacher's assistant in undergrad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BerkeleyLaw

New

Is it worth the time to be a Teacher's assistant in undergrad?

Post by BerkeleyLaw » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:43 am

I did very well in a course (think top 3 in the class) and professor suggested I TA for her class. I won't be getting a letter of rec from her or anything, so are there any benefits in terms of law school admission? Would it look nice on the resume, especially if I TA for like 3 or 4 semesters?

QContinuum

Re: Is it worth the time to be a Teacher's assistant in undergrad?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:07 pm

No. But why aren't you considering asking her for a LOR, either for law school admissions or for pre-law school employment? TAing for a prof is a good way of getting to know a prof well enough to secure a strong LOR.

BerkeleyLaw

New

Post by BerkeleyLaw » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:53 am

QContinuum wrote:No. But why aren't you considering asking her for a LOR, either for law school admissions or for pre-law school employment? TAing for a prof is a good way of getting to know a prof well enough to secure a strong LOR.
It's cuz she is a bit distant and I feel my counselor/advisor, a lawyer I interned with, and my major class professor would be better options. But if I don;'t get a letter of rec, being a TA won't have any benefits?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:12 am

Some law schools (e.g. Michigan) give 2Ls/3Ls a tuition voucher/discount/stipdend for TA'ing for undergrad classes, and these positions usually require prior experience. So it could be useful in that sense, but not for law school admissions in the slightest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”