Advice of Logistics of Asking for a Letter of Reccomendation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trig1968

New

Advice of Logistics of Asking for a Letter of Reccomendation

Post by trig1968 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi!

I graduated from by undergrad two years ago (this May) and now I am applying to law school and require letters of recommendation from my undergrad.

Although I did well in their classes and spoke with them to some extent outside the classroom, I haven't stayed in touch with my professors, so I am not sure how well they would remember me, due to the length of time.

My question is how I would logistically go about asking for LOR's. I live relatively near the University, so I could conceivably ask them in person, but it would seem odd to just drop in on them randomly (at office hours?). Would this be the best approach?

Or should I email them ahead to ask to meet? If so, should I allude to the fact that I want to discuss a letter of recommendation in these emails or should I just ask to meet without giving specifics.

Final point: I am planning on applying September, so does it seem to early to ask in this March, or is that not an issue?

Thanks for any answers/suggestions!

jsnow212

Bronze

Re: Advice of Logistics of Asking for a Letter of Reccomendation

Post by jsnow212 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:19 am

trig1968 wrote:Hi!

I graduated from by undergrad two years ago (this May) and now I am applying to law school and require letters of recommendation from my undergrad.

Although I did well in their classes and spoke with them to some extent outside the classroom, I haven't stayed in touch with my professors, so I am not sure how well they would remember me, due to the length of time.

My question is how I would logistically go about asking for LOR's. I live relatively near the University, so I could conceivably ask them in person, but it would seem odd to just drop in on them randomly (at office hours?). Would this be the best approach?

Or should I email them ahead to ask to meet? If so, should I allude to the fact that I want to discuss a letter of recommendation in these emails or should I just ask to meet without giving specifics.

Final point: I am planning on applying September, so does it seem to early to ask in this March, or is that not an issue?

Thanks for any answers/suggestions!
If you didn't make personal connections with your professors during UG, but did well in their classes, they will submit a generic, form LOR for you. I would start with an email. Have a resume ready for them because they will likely ask. Since you've been out of college for 2 years, submitting one academic and one professional LOR should be fine.

Timing of ask is a non-issue. I asked for my LORs upon graduating a couple years ago as well and didn't apply to law school until recently.

jsnow212

Bronze

Post by jsnow212 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:20 am

If you didn't make personal connections with your professors during UG, but did well in their classes, they will submit a generic, form LOR for you. I would start with an email. Have a resume ready for them because they will likely ask. Since you've been out of college for 2 years, submitting one academic and one professional LOR should be fine.

Timing of ask is a non-issue. I asked for my LORs upon graduating a couple years ago and didn't apply to law school until recently. You can ask for the LOR several years in advance.

hreed

New

Post by hreed » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:11 pm

I would e-mail them and say you're thinking about law school and wondering if they will chat with you. You can then make an appointment with you them to talk. They might offer an LOR when talking but if not you can follow-up, having refreshed their memory.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”