NEED advice Cycle 18-19 applicant Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Amber2013

New

NEED advice Cycle 18-19 applicant

Post by Amber2013 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I am applying for Fall 2019. I wanted to go to a school that this 100% worth it. AKA a school that is ranked well either by the entire country or by state. For example, some of the top schools in FL are UF, UM, and FIU.

I got my second LSAT back, and I am not happy with it at all. But for the last 6-7 months, my dad had surgery on his back that almost even passed away. And my family basically fell apart leaving me to work full time, study and manage our lives. So, I know that I for sure could have done better even though the 1st to 2nd was a jump.

I thought about taking the GRE as some schools are looking at that too or instead of the LSAT. I emailed all the schools that say they look at the GRE. And one of my top choices said they would consider my GRE instead.

Now I am looking into that and thinking about contacting all the schools I would like to go to that my GPA in between 25-75% but should I even apply?? I am Hispanic, so I am a minority, and I know schools usually are interested in diversity. I have wanted to do this since I was ten years old. But I don't know if writing addendums, a diversity statement, PS, LORCs, and my application will be enough to get into somewhere good. I don't think I want to wait til 2020. I am already 24 I took time between to take a prep course and study, but my bulk of studying got messed up by these family issues.

Plus, I was trying to get some kind of AID from a school but now I don't think I'm a candidate that can even negotiate that. Help what does everyone think? Law School is expensive, and I keep reading that a random school is a waste. I was trying to be somewhere in the top 50 -100 region.

cavalier1138

Re: NEED advice Cycle 18-19 applicant

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:17 am

Short answer: Retake the LSAT.

Longer answer: Your post raises a number of specific issues that scream "retake."

First, what is your actual GPA/LSAT right now? It's hard to give specific advice without the real numbers, because that helps narrow down where you currently stand with your target schools. That said...
Amber2013 wrote:I emailed all the schools that say they look at the GRE. And one of my top choices said they would consider my GRE instead.
Unless things have changed in the last year or so, that's a lie. If you have a valid LSAT score, all schools are required to report it for rankings purposes. So they'll consider it, regardless of whether they say they will.
Amber2013 wrote:I am Hispanic, so I am a minority, and I know schools usually are interested in diversity.
This is actually a somewhat problematic assumption. URMs do get a boost on their applications, but "Hispanic" is generally not considered a URM. If I remember correctly, Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans tend to see a boost on applications, but most other Hispanic groups do not get an advantage. So if you've been calculating your chances assuming that your LSAT/GPA can be lower than a non-URM applicant, that may change your calculus.

Now, on to the bigger red flags:
Amber2013 wrote:I have wanted to do this since I was ten years old.
I don't think I want to wait til 2020. I am already 24
What have you wanted to do? You didn't actually mention career goals, just your desire to go to a school that is "worth it." And most schools are not worth full price. But the best match for you is going to depend on what you want to do and where you want to do it.

But most importantly, you're only 24. You're young. Law school isn't going anywhere. The school you go to has a stupidly big effect on your legal career, and you cannot rush this decision. Waiting until you have the right options at the right price is only going to set you up for later success.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”