Chances with a late cycle app at 176/3.60/strong softs? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xfire231

New

Chances with a late cycle app at 176/3.60/strong softs?

Post by xfire231 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 pm

I took the November LSAT and unexpectedly got a 176. GPA is 3.60 (challenging science major from a well-known UC), with (in my opinion) very strong softs and LORs. I was planning to apply next cycle, but my parents and friends convinced me to just go for it this year. I applied to five schools, all submitted last week of January: H, CCN and Penn.

What are my chances with a late app this cycle, and would I be in the running to get some $ from CCN and Penn? Also, should I submit to some other schools as well with the time remaining?

Thanks in advance :)

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Chances with a late cycle app at 176/3.60/strong softs?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Scholarship money is vastly more plentiful at the beginning of the cycle. If you don't landa truly solid outcome (T14 full-ride basically) this time around, which is still possible, you're almost certainly going to be better off next cycle.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:26 pm

You might. Just don't settle. Your results will likely be much worse since it's so late. If you don't get a great result, then go next year. Rushing to go could cost you tens of thousands.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm

In my opinion you should look at MyLSN and predict your average cycle. Don't accept a result that is below what it predicts.

More you might still have big decisions. What if Michigan offer you a six figure scholarship, but you're denied at H? Should you wait and reapply for that 28% shot at Harvard for sticker? So some of this is going to depend on your long term career goals too.

xfire231

New

Post by xfire231 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:00 pm

The chart above is super helpful! Thanks. My goals are to go into international law (either BigLaw or PI), and I've always wanted to live in NYC, so Columbia and NYU are on the top of my list. I'm glad to see I've got a decent shot of getting in to these schools.

Would you suggest applying to a lower-ranked T14 school like Michigan or UVA to see if I can get a scholarship offer and then use that to leverage more $ from Columbia or NYU?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Do you parents and family understand that most schools have rolling admissions, your materials should be pristine and you are already behind?
Do you care about expenses of reapplying twice?
What were you going to do on your year off?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:06 am

EndlessCoffee54 wrote:My goals are to go into international law (either BigLaw or PI)
What does this even mean? "International BigLaw" means doing capital markets work at a London or Hong Kong outpost of a U.S. firm. The work is generally less sophisticated than what you'd get in the U.S., and if you start out abroad, you will likely have a difficult time working at the same level should you wish to return to the U.S. (since, again, the work is viewed as less sophisticated, so you'd be at a disadvantage relative to folks who started in the U.S.).

"International PI" - like, I dunno, a unicorn UN position - is something that is realistically achievable only from Yale. These positions almost don't exist. You might be able to get one from Harvard if you were to make the right connections, but I wouldn't bet on it as in all likelihood you wouldn't succeed (not a slam against you by any means, just the nature of the beast given the scarcity of the jobs and the fact that everyone and their brother would love to do high-flying international PI). I can't remotely imagine someone interested in "international PI" being drawn to "international BigLaw," and vice versa.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:27 am

EndlessCoffee54 wrote:The chart above is super helpful! Thanks. My goals are to go into international law (either BigLaw or PI), and I've always wanted to live in NYC, so Columbia and NYU are on the top of my list. I'm glad to see I've got a decent shot of getting in to these schools.

Would you suggest applying to a lower-ranked T14 school like Michigan or UVA to see if I can get a scholarship offer and then use that to leverage more $ from Columbia or NYU?
Fur a late application you need to apply to the entire T14 and see what the best offer is.

As everyone else is pointing out, you're starting at a disadvantage here. You may not get into your dream school, out your dream school might not have the scholarship funds so might accept you at sticker

That said, even if the chart played out perfectly, I think many folk here would endorse a school like UVA if it's $100k cheaper than NYU or Columbia. That's a huge amount of money, and the outcome differences aren't that substantial.

I agree that international pi is going to need some established connections, or simply a great deal of luck. International BigLaw can be landed from either school with the right approach.

xfire231

New

Post by xfire231 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:41 am

@QContinuum: Those goals are just broad things that I'd like to achieve at some point in my career. I most certainly understand that I won't start out in a position like that straight out of law school, and that it will require work to get to my goals, and that these goals will change as I continue in my education and career. I don't mind starting off anywhere. I'm just interested in practicing law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xfire231

New

Post by xfire231 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:46 am

@Albanach: Thanks for the advice, I will keep this in mind. I'm definitely okay with reapplying a second cycle if I can't get the right outcome this time. Just wanted to shoot my shot to see where a late app could get me in.

xfire231

New

Post by xfire231 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:49 am

Npret wrote:Do you parents and family understand that most schools have rolling admissions, your materials should be pristine and you are already behind?
Do you care about expenses of reapplying twice?
What were you going to do on your year off?
Hey Npret! Since I was originally planning to do two gap years before getting this score, I would just keep working my current job. I understand I'm behind, but I decided that submitting 4-5 apps was not really going to kill the bank, and that it was worth it, given my score, to shoot my shot and see where it takes me. I really don't mind applying twice if I don't get the right result.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”