Trying to gauge whether it is worth it to pursue law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tryin2Suxede

New

Trying to gauge whether it is worth it to pursue law

Post by Tryin2Suxede » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 pm

I am pretty sure this is a long shot, but here it goes.

I am a 27 year old South Asian male who is thinking about studying Law. I was previously pre-med, but at this point, I have given up. I always wanted to study law ever since junior year, but i came from a family of doctors and through emotional blackmail, manipulation, etc. I was quickly made to abandon that idea. Though I liked science, I was never good at science classes. I excelled in humanities, social science, etc. a lot more because it all came easier to me. However to my parents it was all a waste of time.

After graduating, I have basically spent the last 5 - 6 years doing post-bacc, working, studying for MCAT and enhancing my grades, to no such luck. With the DO programs now not doing grade replacements, I basically put my foot down and decided to finally stand up to my parents and say no more.

At this point, I have a 2.66 cumulative GPA from a midtier state university in the Midwest. Most of the bad grades are due to science classes. In my major (Anthropology), I have around a 3.5 major GPA. If one was to take out my science classes, science class retakes, etc. I would have a 3.6 overall. I know it doesn't really matter, but I just want to illustrate that I have spent most of my 20s pursuing something I had no business doing.

My university offers practice LSATs in a testing setting. I took it and got a 163 (not that great, I know) with 2 weeks of study, I know I can get it up to a 170+ if I study and practice properly with some more focus. I am just wondering whether it really is possible for me to get into a good law school with my GPA the way it is. I am not saying an Ivy/Top 20, but is a top 100 still within reach? I am trying to get some feedback.

QContinuum

Re: Trying to gauge whether it is worth it to pursue law

Post by QContinuum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 am

What are your goals out of law school?

You're pretty much locked out of the T13 with that GPA, unfortunately, but with a high enough LSAT you can still get into WUSTL (which tends to be splitter-friendly) or a T1.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:57 am

If true, a 163 with only two weeks of studying is pretty good and you should be able to easily hit the 170+ mark with some more studying.

A 170+ will put you in a good spot to be considered for schools that are worth attending with a scholarship. NU, for example, is splitter-friendly so even with that GPA you have a shot if you score high enough on the LSAT.

Tryin2Suxede

New

Post by Tryin2Suxede » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:36 pm

QContinuum wrote:What are your goals out of law school?

You're pretty much locked out of the T13 with that GPA, unfortunately, but with a high enough LSAT you can still get into WUSTL (which tends to be splitter-friendly) or a T1.
Thanks for the reply!

I have some ideas of what I want to do, but nothing set in stone. From what I have researched, I am interested in international law, family law, medical policy law, or even be a public defender.

Tryin2Suxede

New

Post by Tryin2Suxede » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:42 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:If true, a 163 with only two weeks of studying is pretty good and you should be able to easily hit the 170+ mark with some more studying.

A 170+ will put you in a good spot to be considered for schools that are worth attending with a scholarship. NU, for example, is splitter-friendly so even with that GPA you have a shot if you score high enough on the LSAT.
I am going to admit that it wasn't just 2 weeks. I did study for the LSAT during a semester in undergradute until classes got in the way. I do Logic games from time to time, but my biggest issue is time. My anthro degree really helped with the reading section, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:59 pm

Tryin2Suxede wrote:Thanks for the reply!

I have some ideas of what I want to do, but nothing set in stone. From what I have researched, I am interested in international law, family law, medical policy law, or even be a public defender.
I'd recommend doing a bit more soul-searching here. Most folks who want international law, with its connotations of sexy, high-profile work affecting thousands or even millions of people, would be extremely unhappy toiling away in the trenches as an under-resourced public defender triaging case after case, with no control over what cases they get. Conversely, most folks who aspire to help vulnerable clients firsthand would be unhappy working at the extremely general level of international law, where you'd never get the satisfaction of reuniting client X with her kids, or knowing that you helped client Y turn their life around. These are two extremely different career paths. And of course, both differ dramatically from family law, where you'd represent client after client in divorce cases, and your skills as an amateur psychologist/counselor would be just as important as your lawyering skills. What exactly do you see yourself doing?

If you're all in on policy work or international law, you should probably not do law school, because those outcomes are extremely unlikely from any school except YSH, and you pretty much aren't going to get into YSH even with a 180.

If you're truly passionate about practicing family law or being a public defender, then you have a very solid path to either career from a T20 or T1 school. The trick would then be to make sure you are able to attend at a reasonable price (i.e., not sticker). You can accomplish this so long as you get your LSAT high enough.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:59 am

Just a suggestion with your interest in anthropology and your background, you might consider a masters in public health. That field seems to be expanding.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”